1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So the thread about Gresham was locked.

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by TopDawg, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And maybe this one will be too.

But essentially this is what that thread seemed to be about to me:

I just glanced through it pretty quickly, but that seemed to be kind of how it ended. CrimsonHelmet seemed to have some facts to back up his assertion that Gresham is not a great blocker. Does anybody disagree with him? I mean, if you think blocking isn't an important part of being a TE anymore, fine...you've probably got a legitimate argument and you should approach it from that angle instead of the "you're an obsessive idiot" angle. Gresham might be able to get by...even in the NFL...on his receiving ability alone, but that doesn't mean that CrimsonHelmet doesn't have a good point.

Anyway, I started this thread because I was interested in the actual football talk that was happening in the other one. But unfortunately SoonerFans.com has turned into one of those places where you can't have a reasonable discussion about football anymore.

RacerX likes this.
  2. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

i think you left out the part where they all proclaimed before he even set foot in Norman

that he was "soft and had stone hands".....that he was highly overrated as a 5 star and that the coaches were stupid for even thinking of giving this kid a scholly

you left all that brilliant genius prognostication out

3. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Gresham growing up: Sophomore tight end Jermaine Gresham made the most impressive catch Friday night, taking Sam Bradford's 21-yard pass in the third quarter, coming down at the goal line and hanging on for a touchdown despite being belted by TU defensive back Randy Duncan.

That, however, is not the only thing OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson noticed.

"Jermaine Gresham had by far his best game since he's been here," he said. "He came walking off the field, up the ramp and looked right at me and said, 'Coach, I blocked them good tonight, and it felt good.'

"He's a big, strong kid. He's weighing 263, 264 every day right now. He's gaining confidence in knowing he can play physical and hard. He's always done pretty well in the passing game. His blocking has been a little hot, a little cold. It was probably the most complete game he's played, and that was really good to see."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070924_2_B6_spanc21583

4. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's got Kevin Wilson fooled too.

5. toast

toast New Member

"Jermaine Gresham had by far his best game since he's been here," he said. "He came walking off the field, up the ramp and looked right at me and said, 'Coach, I blocked them good tonight, and it felt good.'

Sounds like he knows his shortcomings and is working hard on them. Also, taking more pride in his blocks than his td catch is a very good sign.

6. jk the sooner fan

its defend a n00b day here on the sf.com!!!!!!!!

amazing

7. TopDawg

Yeah, I know that thread had a long history so I left out the beginnings, but my point was that the conversation had moved from "he is soft and has stone hands" to "he's turning into a great receiver but still needs to improve his blocking and I hope he does."

Maybe some of you have too hard of a time letting the past go and that was really at the root of the disagreement. But the fact of the matter is that nobody was HOPING that he would fail or saying that he had. They were just saying "he's catching the ball well, but he still needs to work on his blocking."

It looks like he's improving in his blocking which we can all be happy about. Like toast pointed out, the fact that he mentioned it to Kevin Wilson tells me that they've been working hard on it which, apparently, means that maybe CrimsonHelmet was on to something...that it was indeed an area that needed improvement.

I still don't see what all the disagreement and name calling was about.

8. TopDawg

One quick and easy look at each of your profiles shows me that your registration date is only 4 days earlier than CrimsonHelmet's.

I'm just trying to defend reason and rational behavior. :D

9. jk the sooner fan

so 04 has had that troll handle much longer than i knew

somebody refresh my memory, exactly when is it ok to bash an 18 year old? before he joins the team? or just not after

i get them confused all the time......

it doesnt surprise me that you'd ignore the root of the original discussion

10. Ash

Ash New Member

IBTD

11. jk the sooner fan

and i'd be more than willing to have a serious football discussion when the so called football god/guru/experts come here and post that they were dead wrong

but they wont, they'll spin it like they've done already in the locked thread

so whats the point?

12. TopDawg

I know for a fact it's not 04. But if the conspiracy theory makes you happy, long live craziness.

It doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't freaking forget it! Tell me how the root of the original discussion has any bearing on the last few pages.

13. jk the sooner fan

why else would the thread have been dug up from the past?

14. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Heh. The original posts in that thread were from 2005. Good lord, it's easy to say "ooh, burn, you guys are morons for being wrong about a guy two years ago!" The original posters sounded like they were people who knew Gresham in high school and were making forecasts based on what they knew then. that discussion has ended.

Now, the discussion was that yes, Gresham is an outstanding talent, but some people are still of the opinion that he is weak in a particular facet of his game. And as far as I can see, this is the most accurate statement I've seen on these boards in months:

TopDawg likes this.
  15. TopDawg

So you just want to hear them say the words "You were right, I was wrong"???

Until then, the fact that Gresham missed almost half of his blocks in the Miami game doesn't mean he needs work on his blocking, it means those guys are blinded by their prejudice against Gresham.

GottaHavePride likes this.
  16. jk the sooner fan

are there any football players on the team that dont have one particular kind of weakness?

do tell

17. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Actually, TopDawg, you could probably substitute "anything except boobs, skanky hoes, and cars" in the place of "football" and still be right. Wait, scratch "cars and skanky hoes" off the list, too.

18. jk the sooner fan

no, i dont need to hear what i already know

why on earth would somebody go back and watch a blow out game to see how many blocks ONE player missed

seems like there's a hard on there for somebody.....

19. TopDawg

Change the subject, change the subject!

Yes, Sam Bradford is not a good kicker. Was that the point you were trying to make?

Rhino likes this.
  20. TopDawg

heh...good point

GottaHavePride likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.