1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, ESPN tried to get OU out of the Sugar Bowl huh...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by landrun, Dec 8, 2013.

1. landrun

landrun Well-Known Member

The BCSGuru dude (Brad something I believe) said on his twitter page that ESPN wants to match Bama vs. Oregon for TV ratings. The Sugar Bowl committee wanted OU because they think Oklahoma will sell more tickets. But ESPN was trying to get us replaced with Oregon. That is when Phil Knight offered to buy up any left over Sugar Bowl tickets to help out Oregon and ESPN's cause.

We'll know for sure in a few minutes, but it looks like for now the Sugar Bowl is still picking us. But it irritates me how this stuff unfolds!

2. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

....espenis can lick it and Phil knight can stick it

ss

3. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Lame. For a stunt like that, they deserve to play Alabama. They'd get beat worse than us.

4. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Irony is that the Big 12 becomes a permanent representative in the Sugar Bowl starting next year...we just wanted to start a year early ;)

5. Eielson

It's Big XII Champ vs. SEC champ after this year, right?

6. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

laissez les bon temps rouler!

7. ouduckhunter

ouduckhunter New Member

Everything about Phil Knight and his funding of the quack team just seems slimy, and rotten.

WTH doesn't he just start his own Nike/Quack Bowl and pour gazillions into it like he has for the Quack athletic programs!?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

Yes, which I think was the reasoning on why we would be placed there.

9. dennis580

dennis580 New Member

Actually I hope the Big 12 champ never plays in that bowl. Would love to see the Big 12 champ in the playoffs every single year.

10. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

The tickets are the tip of the economical iceberg.

11. Eielson

The SEC champ will always be in the playoffs, but it's still going to work like the BCS bowls currently work.

12. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Did he offer to rent the empty hotel rooms, buy up the unused tickets from the travel agencies, pay every restaurant and bar in New Orleans a large bonus, as well as the cab drivers and any local tourist attractions?

13. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

It official now. OU vs Bama in sugar!!!! I hope bammer is ready for an azz kickn

14. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Well, in all fairness, had Oregon been selected, they would have made up for those things with the hours of broadcasting spent talking about the long history and tradition of the two programs, and how this was a meeting of two traditional powers....oh, wait...

ouflak likes this.
  15. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

Now we have to hear for almost a month how OU has no chance. I'm pissed off just thinking about it. I hope Sooner players are ticked!!

16. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Didn't get a lot of respect just now on the ESPN discussion. Sheridan says Alabama about an 11 point favorite right now.

We don't have a great chance but we have a chance. Somebody (who?) will have to make some throws for sure.

17. Therealsouthsider

Therealsouthsider New Member

...they would, however, have stimulated the economy of countless third world countries with the production of a kaleidoscope of uniform and equipment options...which is after all what college football is all about

ss

18. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

19. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

20. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Neither OU or OSU got a lot of respect.

**** 'em.