1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scouting the guys next door

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Jacie, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So the orange faithful are feeling frisky this year, what with a new coach, one who beat Oklahoma with a lesser team (I counted this one as a trap game going in but that is how the ball bounces) but mostly IMO because Charlie Strong is gone.

Anyway, perusing one of their boards I went through the requisite "predictions for the season" thread. The conservatives, as they term themselves, expect the whorns to win 8 games in 2017. The mildly optimistics are saying 10 wins are doable and then there are the delusionals who are saying 12-0 in the regular season and three more possible (Big XII Championship and two CFP games).

I decided to do a bit of preseason mag scouting of teams on the whorn schedule and came up with my own predictions for sa*et in 2017. I have to do this here because posting this over at hornfans would get me banned. Wait, I am already banned from there, oh well.

Warning, it is not pretty.

Here's the gist, I mark em down for 3 W's, 3 toss-ups and 6 L's.

That means if they let just one of those toss-ups get away from them, Tom Herman aka The Second Coming of Darrel Royal, will have duplicated Charlie Strong's 2015 and 2016 W-L totals of 5-7.

The breakdown in order:

Maryland = toss-up

Whorn fans are fond of pointing out how the Terps have yet to score on them in 3 previous meetings but football doesn't care about history. I think a first game with a new coach against a B1G team is anything but a sure-thing.

San Jose State = win

This one will get the faithful talking conference title, especially if they win the first game.

USC = L

It will get ugly as Trojans roll the whorns.

Following their bye week they get mighty . . .

Iowa State = W

Sorry Cyclones, I know sometimes you have an upset special once a season and this one is looking good but not this time.

Kansas State = L

Snyder > Tommyboy

Oklahoma = L

Lincoln Riley gets his first win over sa*et.

OSU = L

Gundy's offense will send the home crowd packing it in midway through the third quarter.

Baylor = toss-up

A team that will fly under the radar this season and no one, not even OU, should take lightly.

TCU = L

Patterson gets his team back on track.

Kansas = W

No upset this year.

West Virginia = L

I don't know if this one will be close or a blowout but I just cannot see the whorns winning in Morgantown especially if it is a televised night game.

Texas Tech = toss-up

Hard to say what TT will look like in 2017, breaking in a new quarterback after Mahomes.

2. mjhurani

mjhurani Member

based on my research of their opponents:

- maryland - win (terps very young)
    - san jose state - win (state sucks)
    - at usc - loss
    - at iowa state - toss up (texas more talented but tough place to get a win for a team in transition)
    - kansas state - loss (wildcats look very good)
    - vs OUr boys - LOSS
    - vs okie lite - loss
    - at baylor - toss up (bears in major transition)
    - at tcu - loss (horny frogs look very good this yr)
    - vs kansas - win
    - at wva - toss up. (mountaineers very young this yr)
    - vs tex tech - win

4 wins
    5 losses
    3 toss ups

6-6 or even 7-5 very doable

3. Jacie

That first toss-up resulted in a loss. Getting to that 6-win mark just got a whole lot harder for Hermie . . .

4. mjhurani

mjhurani Member

good call on it being a toss up. i gave way too much credit to the whorns returning starters

5. Jacie

Think you gave them too much credit, check out hornfans. They are simply incredulous over what happened. Over the years I have seen that fan base on suicide watch about 167 times and it just gets funnier . . . every . . . single . . . time.