1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scholarship Numbers Clarification

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by jkm the stolen pifwafwi, Feb 5, 2014.

1. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

Baseball is different as well, they don't give many full scholarships because they have fewer full scholarships than players. Guys end up with chunks of a scholarship so it's not likely he's on a full scholarship if has a baseball one as well.

LJ Moore leaving frees up that spot and should be at 85 again.

2. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I believe baseball only has 13 full rides (they divide them up) as I'm founding out with my son, D1 schools baseball guys, unless super studs, must have a 3.5 in HS and/or a high 26 and above ACT. That way they give academic money so they can use athletic scholarships more divided.

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Baseball is 11.7 scholarships. When I was OU, the limit was 9.5 and academic scholarships counted against the number.

4. Soonerjeepman

that is just asinine. Why can't baseball have the same percentage as other sports...
    BBall 12 for 15 guys
    football 85 for 105 guys...

just total BS.

5. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Title 9

The problem is that football soaks up 85 full scholarships and there is no equivalent women's sport for it. They have created 5 different women's sports to compensate (Equestrian, Rowing, Beach Volleyball, Rugby and Field Hockey) which is the only reason the numbers are even close in the outlying sports (like Baseball(11.7)/Softball(12), etc). It used to be much worse.

6. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

OU has a women's beach volleyball team!?!

When is the season and why was I not informed?

Heads will roll, let me assure you of that.

7. Soonerjeepman

THAT part of title 9 is such bull****...

I do like the idea of beach volleyball for OU women!!! lol

8. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Have you ever had your daughter play in a basketball gym that was "sub-par" while boys were playing at the same time in a better facility? Well, imagine your daughter playing outside on half-torn down rims and then you can begin to imagine how badly the situation was before Title 9 became enforced for non-profit institutions. Something like 40% of NCAA member institutions didn't even offer athletic scholarships to women. OU was one of the big offenders when they tried to scrap the women's basketball and softball programs (which would have left them with only track and volleyball as women's sports).

Even today, there is a huge discrepancy in public funding between girls and boys sports at both a high school and college level. Having visited about every softball field in the state of Washington, it cracks me up how nice the baseball fields are compared with some of the horse pastures where girls are expected to play. Yet strangely enough, girls athletic facilities rarely make it onto voter initiatives by high schools.

9. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

It is just one of the teams that you can use to balance out numbers.

OU is kind of in an odd situation, they have more women's sports, but they are way behind in numbers of scholarships. They could probably add Beach Volleyball and make money off of it but it is only 3 scholarships. I wouldn't be surprised if they add either equestrian or swimming/diving in the next 5 or so years to add another 18 scholarships to the women's totals.
    Men - 147.5, Women - 117

10. KantoSooner

Actually, rowing could draw some audience. Largely because you get to sit outside with either a nice fire going or with a cool beverage and watch boat races. Very calming.
    (disclaimer: yes, I rowed. Most zen sport ever.)

11. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

12. KantoSooner

Oh, I know we've got it. It just isn't pushed very hard. As far as trying to get generic Sooner fans involved in something new.

13. Soonerjeepman

actually yes, my daughter did play. So did my sis (ksu). I've coached girls hs bball. I'm not against equity. I'm against the numbers % for the sake of number's %. When I coached our V girls team played at home...a "pit" from 1920...I never sat on the bench because I'd hit my head. The boys V played at the local juco. They've since changed that.

14. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Personally, my big problem is the narrow definition of sports. There isn't any reason that cheerleading shouldn't be considered as a sport for purposes of Title 9.

15. Soonerjeepman

definitely, most of those girls were former gymnast.