1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santorum: States Should Have The Right To Outlaw Birth Control

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by Fraggle145, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

No offense man, but I'm not going to waste 38 minutes of my life watching someone from the von Mises Institute explain how his fantasies are actually real. If he's not raising any more points that you've discussed, we've already gone over that ground. If he's got something new, tell me what it is.

Seriously, this is a guy who wants to return to the Articles of Confederation. I'm probably not going to take his interpretation of the Constitution very seriously.

2. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Same thing I was trying to say about Ron Paul and his Idea that he could repeal Roe v Wade by just doing a Presidential Order that would end Government's Role in Abortion and Birth Control and allow each individual State to decide if they wanted to fund it and allow it.

You might do that but it's been around 40 years since 1973 (39 years) since the morality these guys are talking about changed in this Country. It might end Government's Role in paying into these funds but it doesn't address the problems that we have in our Society and that is why Roe v Wade was supported and passed in the first place as we as People saw that people were not only killing their kids but risking their own lives over it. Religions may feel they have better answers now and maybe are willing to use money to help and support Women to bring their baby to Term and then put it up for Adoption as a viable option. The thing where Families felt that their Daughter was a Ho, Tramp, Slut...ect seems to have subsided and the pressure that Society put on these girls during Jr. High and HS seems to have subsided. Also....I know The Catholic Church has been much more successful in convincing many young Kids to wait until they are a little older and ready to have Children through their promoting abstinence.

Possibly it would be better to do what Ron Paul is suggesting.

I agree though that these guys who want to return to the Articles of Confederation might be very long gone into some fantasy they have created in their heads.

3. 5thYearSooner

5thYearSooner Member

WHat would you do if your 4 year old turns out to be a homosexual? Just curious

4. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

1. By "illegal IUD implant," I guess you'd have to provide more context. I'd say that the answer would depend on how she came across it and how you say it's illegal. If it's not FDA-approved, that's one thing. If someone passes a new law stating that all IUDs are illegal, I'd say that's quite another thing. Different Constitutional and regulatory ramifications all 'round. I'd have a hard time seeing how the government could remove a non-compliant IUD without her consent or punishing her though. Maybe if she had a non-approved IUD implanted in the U.S. by a U.S. doctor, there could be some implications for the doctor, but that's all I can really see happening.

That really can't happen. Connecticut vs. Griswold and progeny (mostly the progeny) would make such a law unconstitutional.

Like I said, no state action in any of these cases would be constitutional. I mean Santorum's words are just dead-*** wrong. The states don't have that power.

5. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU New Member

Ugh, I just read this whole thing. I would have a much easier time following these discussions if everyone would agree to leave out their analogies. Analogies are bad debate and distract from the conversation. There are clearly people in this thread that understand that, and people who don't yet realize it.