1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sams Pick

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by sooner13f, Nov 11, 2007.

1. sooner13f

sooner13f New Member

I could not watch the game and I did spend a few minutes trying to find it. Could someone that watch the game fill me in on the pick he threw last night. Was it forced, good DB play, or deflected. I am just wondering. Thanks

2. mightysooner

mightysooner New Member

He just made a poor throw. Happened in my endzone. I could see what he was trying to do. I think it was Manny Johnson that sprung free to the back of the endzone behind 2 Baylor DB's and Sam was trying to hit him but he didn't loft the ball at all and threw it right to the Baylor DB's. The play was there to be made, although it was a difficult throw to make, he just needed to loft the ball over the DB's heads and he didn't make the throw.

3. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

It wasn't Sam...it was someone that looked like Sam.

Seriously, it looked like he threw into heavy coverage and he made a bad decision by forcing it. That's what I remember other then being shocked it was picked.

4. sooner13f

sooner13f New Member

Hey thanks.

5. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Never looked right to see the LB dropping back into coverage. His eyes went left to right and when he released it he probably said, "oh ****". A combination of Sam not being as patient as he should have been and a nice play by the Baylor LB.

6. setem

setem DTF

I agree that he needed more loft on the ball. Even then, it might have been picked. There were so many guys around the wide-out.

He missed a TD pass another time though. I think it was when we was flushed from the pocket(he was there for a good 6 seconds though) and he tossed it to Inglesias for a 1st down. He had Manny up the middle clear as day. It was not the easiest pass but but it was not very difficult either. Manny split 2 defenders(one if front of him and one behind him) I have seen Sammy make that pass before plenty of times and if he had seen him it would have been 6!

Sam get the job done and get the job done like a pro! I was on the Nichol Boat at the start of the season. I am glad Sam is our QB!

7. mightysooner

mightysooner New Member

Speaking of Manny.......did that guy announce his presence in the receiving corp last night or what? I'd give that cat TWO game balls.

Also....that one handed grab that Kelley made behind his back was just sick.

8. Pride Baritone

Pride Baritone New Member

What's really amazing is that the pick he threw last night is only the second pick he's thrown all season that was his fault. All of the others have come off of tipped balls from our WRs.

9. MikeInNorman

MikeInNorman New Member

Actually, on the previous possession, we had two WRs lined up wide left and ran a double post. Both were single covered, and both were wide open. For some reason, Sam looked but declined to throw to either Kelly or Manny, instead turning back and throwing to Iggy for a 10 yard gain on 3rd and 11. We got a field goal.

My guess is that on the sidelines, the wide-open-ness of both receivers on the left was pointed out to Sam, and he was probably told to THROW IT TO THEM.

So, next possession, similar situation, left side receivers run double post again. Except this time, Baylor, who also has coaches in the press box, had help waiting. Worse, it looked like Manny shortened his route to a dig and stopped right in front of where Kelly would otherwise have been open, drawing defenders with him. However, I think Bradford had already made up his mind to throw it to Kelly and thus, the forced throw into unexpected traffic.

The good thing is, other QBs do that kind of stuff all the time. For Sam, that was a rare mistake.

10. soonermeteor

soonermeteor New Member

Just an odd play on what had been one of his best nights.

11. josh09

josh09 New Member

He just made a mistake.

I say we put Halzle in, what about you guys?

:pop: