1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saban Statue Conundrum

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Rocko, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Alabama just revealed their Saban statue. Some have said it is a bit too earlier to immortalize a coach, especially while he is still coaching at the school.

But it brought up an interesting point.

Will LSU ever build a statue in Saban's likeness? He did after all, win them their 3rd national title.

2. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

maybe in like 50 years when all the fans that hate him are dead or can't remember him :)

The Mad Hatter probably didn't help his chances

3. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Saban who?

4. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

Msybe one that waters the lawn.

5. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Could you imagine a statues of Saban and Lester at LSU? :eek:

6. Sooner_Tuf

Sooner_Tuf New Member

Mutt and Jeff?

7. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Dumb and Dumber?

8. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Green Bay named a street after Coach Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre before they both left, kind of unhappily. But, meh, it's just a street, and these are just statues.

9. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes New Member

Greetings and salutations from a fellow crimson fan. Followed your program for decades. Still not over the "71" Greg Pruitt vs Johnny Rogers epic. Jack Mildren just needed one more possession. Being anti-Nebraska and Texas may have helped mold and shape, but still follow your program from a distance.

Just want to mention that all the coaches represented on the walk of champions at Bryant Denny were there after the fact. (career over) This one with coach Saban, feels a little creepy. If Miami had such a custom, they would still be explaining that Coker fellow cast in bronze. Just think it's better to wait it out.

Coach Saban insisting that all the NC team be listed on the plaque and his constant insistence that this is about that team, probably explains some of his uneasiness as well.

badger likes this.
  10. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

11. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Welcome, Bammer fan. Nice to see another one of you outside the fark board for once. I am sure Sabanball will assure you that we love our Bammers here, even as we question your Bammer math :D

We, too, have coaches statues now in addition to Heisman statues (for 100+ win careers I think), but I think the plan is to not have a Stoops statue until after he retires.

I think the rest of Sooner Nation joins me in eagerly awaiting a Sam Bradford Heisman statue... but not the Stoops statue. :D

12. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

:pop:

13. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes New Member

Don't sweat the math, truth is, the SEC is actually being produced and directed by Oliver Stone. On the positive side we still have 12 members, well, if you count Vandy, I guess.

14. Lawton4Life

Lawton4Life New Member

It looks a lot like Andy Griffith

15. SoonerNomad

SoonerNomad New Member

Sheriff Taylor or Matlock?

16. Soonerson1975

Soonerson1975 New Member

I think it looks more like Aunt Bea.

17. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Saban earned that statue--I could care less if the university decided to put it up before or after he retires.

Little known fact--the bronze statue was cast and prepared in Oklahoma City by MTM Recognition.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  18. Quik Sand

Quik Sand New Member

Earned a statue? Dont you think he should hold a sustained success at Bama for several more years before all that? He has had three straight good seasons. First one ended with a thud (loss to UF and then smacked by Utah). Second one was terrific (even though you beat Texas without its QB). Third was solid with some letdowns. We all know that a 7-6 season is statue worthy. Those are his seasons at the school. Would have said the same things had OU erected a statue for Bob after 2003 season.

19. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Yes. He led the team to a NC, that's all that's required to have one in our house. End of argument.

You sound like a whiny whorn fan making that second comment. Get over it--we won the game.;)

MamaMia likes this.
  20. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

FWIW, I'd be much more supportive of the statue if he could've figured out a way to hang on to his 24 point lead against Cam last year.