1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP: PAUL KANTNER

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by hawaii 5-0, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how Clapton could be put in the category of "overrated." He succeed with groups - Yardbirds and Creem, one-offs like Derek and the Dominoes, and on his own.

How many other artists, American or British, have done that in rock? Robert Plant, perhaps, for a little bit. Rod Stewart. Certainly, Phil Collins. I can't really think of an American musicians who did well for decades after being successful with a group.

And, has any guitarist been as successful for as long as Clapton? I can't think of a guitarist who has outsold Clapton on either continent.

2. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm just not as impressed with Clapton as I am with some others, although I did like Layla and Sunshine of Your Love, White Room Tales of Brave Ulysses, but then it was jack Bruce the lead singer for Cream. Paul Rodgers of Bad Company, Foreigner, Queen, Bowie etc. all better than Clapton for my taste. Face it, music is VERY subjective.

3. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Rush, I'm glad you mentioned Fagen and Becker.

5-0

4. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I saw them live here in PHX maybe 5 years ago, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. There were 13 people in the band, including 3 horns and a 3 girl chorus. They advertised that they would play the entire AJA album. Right off they did that, then proceeded to play every other song I wanted to hear from them. It was a MAHVELOUS show, and all of us in the audience went nuts.

5. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I missed seeing Jeffeson Starship in OKC, 1974 when my dad catered back stage (real hickory smoked barbecue ribs). That was at the Civic Center.

I was there for the 1976 tour when they came to Lloyd Noble. So good!

6. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

I was at the '74 show at the Civic Center. Papa John Creach was there. Jorma's brother Peter played lead guitar.

Wished I coulda had some of your Dad's ribs.

5-0