1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retiring jersey numbers... yeah or nay?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by goingoneight, May 21, 2007.

1. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

I used to think of it as a nice little deal, but I recently read a bunch of stuff about numbers being reitred and I must say I'm glad OU doesn't do this. If it was a situation similar to Pat Tillman, yeah I can see that... but people getting ****ed about someone wearing a "legend's" number? Seems to me that if a certain number is so special, it would push the you athletes to honor that jersey, right?
    Like, say AD was never injured and set some all-time records. A few years later someone attacks a young recruit for wanting to wear #28 when he arrives because "he'll never live up to the number" or he doesn't play AD's position. Isn't that a little bit ridiculous? I met Michael Jordan a few years back during his stint with the Wizards and he said his jersey deal was an "honor" but he didn't feel it needed to be off-limits to anyone else for any reason. Having said that, he forgot to sign my hat... :(

What do you all think?

2. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

well, for starters...we'd run out of available numbers real quick. :D

3. goingoneight

That's why we **** and moan for nameplates... :D

4. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I still don't think that Peterson guy gave enough honor to Antonio Perkins' number ;)

5. sas

sas New Member

We should retire dealerships.

6. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

and mullets. and hair pieces. and round italians who have radio shows, and especially relics who pay more attention to hot dogs than to the play by play.

7. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Retire jerseys not numbers.On the other hand where do you start?All-Americans?National Award winners?Record holders ?Great players who were also true life heros(Bob Kalsu,Waddy Young).Men who made great social contributions (Gautt)?I think these are all good reasons and have in fact been in favor of a ring of honor around the facing of the stadium with names,numbers and jersey replicas.There would be a lot in football.

sas likes this.
  8. goingoneight

In all of Sooner history, I'd retire Gautt probably as a one and only. The rest? Go on and play in the NFL if you want that kind of attention, I guess.

Thanks for the opinions, though some ventured just a little... :D

9. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

I have no problem having Gautt as the only retired number.

10. goingoneight

So, if a player Bomarizes Texas with the NCAA someday, shall we retire their number? :D

11. sas

sas New Member

UT already retired Ricky's wedding dress.

And I believe OU retired the Boz's hairstyle.

soonerhubs likes this.
  12. SteelClip49

SteelClip49 New Member

Prentice Gautt and Lt. James Robert Kalsu.

13. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

Kalsu would also be worthy

14. Jimminy Crimson

Jimminy Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We could go ahead and retire Chris Weinke's number, too, while we're at it.

15. bstuff1979

bstuff1979 New Member

I'd rather have a system like Syracuse had with one number being the equivalent of the Don Key award (though given out a bit early). Something else I've noticed, every two to three years a player with a number ending in 8 has ended up an all time great for OU. 38 TRRW, 18 JW, 28 AD, who's next up? Brandon Caleb or Jermaine Gresham?

16. starrca23

starrca23 New Member

I'm not really for it either. Unless it is no. 23. I don't know why any athlete today would try to wear 23. 23 is a legendary number that no one should want to be compared with. Who would want to be compared with...

Devin Hester :D

17. TheUnnamedSooner

TheUnnamedSooner Well-Known Member

retiring jersey numbers... yeah, nah or ghey?

I'm going with ghey. why would we want to be like succ or aggie lite?

18. LittleWingSooner

LittleWingSooner New Member

Retire jerseys not numbers, and you start with Lee Roy Selmon, in fact all 3 Selmon's should go in together.

Then you go with Bob Kalsu and Waddy Young. Both died at war.

After that you got Roy Williams, Brian Bosworth, Jason White, Billy Sims, Joe Washington, Rod Shoate, Tommie Harris, Tony Casillas, Billy Vessels, Steve Owens, Greg Pruitt, Daryl Hunt, Josh Heupel, and George Cumby.

I'm sure there's more but that's a pretty good start.

19. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Walter Roland(Waddy)Young.Flew antisub missions over the Atlantic,bombing missions over Eurpoe and was finalyshot down in his b-29 over the Sea of Japan in 1945.The b-29 incidentallywas named Waddys Wagon.Waddy has been a personal hero of mine since I was a sophmore at Pnca City High and first saw his picture.

swardboy likes this.
  20. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Im down with retiring jerseys and not numbers...but IMO it would need to be very selectful...The Heisman winners(although they already get their own statues), Selmon, and Prentice Gautt come to mind.

Who would you guys say will be regarded as the best Stoops era player thus far when we look back 20 years from now?