1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ravens Cut Rice after video emerges. Turns out it's not cool to hit women.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoonerPride, Sep 8, 2014.

1. SoonerPride

SoonerPride Collector Emeritus

2. BermudaSooner

BermudaSooner Well-Known Member

Should have never drafted that guy. Damnit.

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not defending Rice's actions, but the NFL suspending him indefinitely seems wrong. They just published the new policy of 6 games for the first offense and then lifetime. So unless "indefinitely" means 6 games, then it seems stupid to even have a written policy.

4. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Or easier. Or the same. It kind of depends on what the video shows.

5. SoonerPride

From those that have seen the video, they say it is comparable. There won't be very many people in his corner after the video comes out.

6. Eielson

And Mixon got a whole year, so I don't see the OP's point. I think he's trying too hard to make an "I told you so" thread.

7. BoulderSooner79

I think the point is valid that people change their reaction after seeing a video even though they already know exactly what happened.

Other than that, the Rice and Mixon incidents are very different. One is domestic violence and the other is more a bar fight.

8. Eielson

I generally form my own opinions, so I'll wait until I can see it. I'll leave the future-seeing to you.

9. Eielson

True. I was actually expecting a much worse punch. From what I could see in that video, my guess is that she wasn't knocked unconscious until her head hit the wall.

From the video, it appeared that Rice provoked the whole ordeal. It appears he spit on her outside the elevator, followed her into the elevator, and then got in her face again (spitting again?). The aftermath looked ugly as well. I'm not exactly sure what he was doing, but he dragged her around, and didn't seem the least bit concerned for her (even left her feet in the elevator). There's a lot more to this Rice video than the punch.

And once again, Mixon was suspended more than two games.

10. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

It's not hard to figure out. Those in the media who have seen the video say...shove...lunge...slap...knock out punch.

11. Eielson

Sounds a lot better than than Rice's spit, spit, punch, head slam, drag limb body around combo.

manateepower likes this.
  12. SoonerPride

Did she need surgery?

I think the Mixon video will be worse.

Eye witnesses said you can see his fist deform and break her face.

Expect a firestorm of ugly.

13. SoonerPride

It ain't too hard to figure out that it'll be a very bad time.

14. BoulderSooner79

I was only comparing public reaction to a video, otherwise it's oranges and ducks. The NFL/Ravens are completely disjoint from the NCAA/OU as far as rules and punishments.

15. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Dude If and when we see the Vid and its even close to that then Ill say you were right, Until then Ima say you Sir are an Idiot.
    IF the Mixon deal deal was every bit as bad as the Rice Smack down as YOU say Then why in hell did the ****in DA say charges "WOULDNT" have been filed against Joe if the Skank had been a "MAN" ?

16. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Nah, I doubt it.

17. SoonerPride

That's a bet I'd be willing to take

18. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

The Mixon video comes out to the general public on November 1st. The thing is, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops have already seen the video (unlike the NFL's Goddell and Ravens management who had not seen the Ray Rice elevator video). I don't see how OU can get rid of Mixon permanently since they can't claim it will be new evidence.

19. SoonerPride

There is some debate about whether the NFL had seen the video.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/pet...-that-the-league-never-saw-the-ray-rice-video

20. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision.

There really is a conflict of interest when it comes to battered spouses. They are in the unfortunate position that if they do what is necessary to protect themselves physically they very well may harm themselves financially.

That of course is true whether it is a millionaire football player or a lower middle class worker. Rice's wife has a lot more to lose but assuming he didn't blow everything (big assumption) she can afford to lose it.

Anyway, I don't know the solution to this part. There probably isn't a good one.