1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putin backing down?

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by 8timechamps, Feb 24, 2015.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Today, Putin made a speech and in it said a war with Ukraine would be "apocalyptic". He went on to say "I believe such a scenario is unlikely and believe it will never get to that point". He pointed to the Minsk agreement as the process that will "normalize" the situation.

The sanctions have obviously had an affect on the Russian economy, and the (rare) international pressure that has been put on Putin/Russia seem to be having a positive affect. Putin isn't stupid, surely he realized that further escalating the situation in Ukraine would more than likely force the US's hand (to weaponize the Ukrainian troops), and any further escalation would seriously put Russia in jeopardy of further retaliation.

It appears that he's feeling the heat at home, and is possibly ready to back off.

In the meantime, CNN (I know, I know) reports that 81% of the Russians polled have anti-American feelings. Supposedly the highest since the cold war. Personally, I could care less, but I did find it kind of funny that the Kremlin's propaganda machine is still in working order. They (CNN) had a quote from a lady that said "They (the US) want to take half of Russia". I can't even imagine how the situation would have to be spun in order for an average citizen to believe that. Then again, the "average citizen" here isn't too smart, so it's probably not much different there.

Here's the article, if you're interested.

2. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think Putin is smart but, he's crazy as a **** house rat and is not predictable. Also, comparing the USA's average citizen with Russia's average citizen, is nowhere near the same, IMO.

3. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Actually, he isn't crazy at all. In fact, he's coldly rational. Everything he has done in his career from beginning to now has been extremely calculated; however, he definitely pushes the envelope. He has clearly over-reached in Ukraine, but he did get the entire Crimea peninsula out of it. Putin has also out maneuvered us in the middle east to the point that it's flat out embarrassing.

I've actually met the man, once.

4. SCOUT

SCOUT SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Putin being calculating and clever does not exclude the notion that he is crazy. There are lots of examples of crazy individuals of his sort.

5. SicEmBaylor

Fair point, but I still wouldn't say he's crazy -- at least not by Russian standards.

6. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

But we{the ones calling him Crazy} aint Russian! And what does you havin met him have to do with him being Crazy or not?

7. SicEmBaylor

Nothing whatsoever. I was just saying it was cool I got the chance to meet the guy. FWIW, I have a begrudging respect for Putin.

8. olevetonahill

But you rode a Moped and drank Zima, YOU dont count :devilish:

9. SicEmBaylor

I've never driven or rode a moped nor have I ever actually drank Zima, so my opinion is doubly valid.

10. olevetonahill

Ya got lost going to Austin er somesuch by way of Amarillo :boxing:

11. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I think more highly of Putin than I do the Loser-in-Chief ruining our country.

12. olevetonahill

Well ya got me there :drunk:

13. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Of course there are major differences, but when you start polling the public here in the US, it doesn't take long to see that many are ignorant. I suspect it's similar in Russia.

14. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think Putin will do what he wants, and the USA will do nothing to stop him, with the possible exception of some embargos.

15. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

It would appear that in Russia they expect authoritarianism. Not so much here in the USA.

16. SicEmBaylor

He's not going to do whatever he wants; he's going to do whatever he thinks he can get by with. In any case, why the hell should we stop Russia from doing anything at all unless they attack us? How is it our business what he does in Eastern Europe? Spoiler alert: It isn't.

17. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

yawn. being argumentative when there's no need.

18. Sooner8th

Sooner8th Well-Known Member

What do you want us to do?

19. SicEmBaylor

I'm not being argumentative at all. I think it's worth discussing why anyone would think it's our role or responsibility to "stop" Russia from doing what it wants -- Russia is a sovereign nation perfectly within its rights to act in its own self-interests. It is not in the self-interest of the United States to interfere in their affairs in eastern Europe or anywhere else unless or until they directly move against American territory.

20. SicEmBaylor

I suspect he wants us to bomb Moscow. Will he be the first to volunteer to throw a saddle on the first ICBM and ride that bitch to glory?