1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OUr Defense

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by soonermagic14, Oct 2, 2009.

1. soonermagic14

soonermagic14 New Member

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Tulsa coach Todd Graham was on the West Virginia staff in 2001 when Miami beat the Mountaineers 45-3 and displayed what he considers the best defense he’s ever seen. Led by safety Ed Reed, those Hurricanes went 12-0, posted three shutouts and allowed 9.7 points a game.

MultimediaPhotoview all photos But two weeks ago, Graham stood in the shadows of OU’s Owen Field after the Sooners blanked Tulsa 45-0 and declared the 2009 Oklahoma defense the equal of those Hurricanes. "Right there with ’em,” Graham said.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3405544##ixzz0SpNSQUFQ

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3405544##ixzz0SpNSQUFQ

LawtonBoy74 likes this.
  2. itsok

itsok New Member

I like this!!!!!!!

LawtonBoy74 likes this.
  3. ouwasp

ouwasp New Member

If the Sooner D can point to a bunch of 3-n-outs after Saturday's game, I'll become a believer.

LawtonBoy74 likes this.
  4. auto

auto New Member

Like the days of Casillas and Boz:D

LawtonBoy74 likes this.
  5. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

In my opinion, this year's Sooner football team will go as far as the defense can take it. By that, I mean that this year's defense looks capable of holding the momentum most of the time they are on the field. Some are making comparisons to certain defenses of the past, but to me this year's version reminds me of a combination of the '74 and '85 versions. You've got the line control combined with the ability clog up mid-field and take away the quarterback's options in a hurry.

In the days immediately following the BYU game, I saw a lot of people wringing their hands and worrying over how the OU defense had given up too much ground to BYU. It almost seems silly now, that so much was made out of what turned out to be a surrender of 14 points. Now, those 14 points still stand as the only points allowed by this defense this season. The pass rush has gotten hungrier and looking like a killer, and the linebacking corps seems solid.

I see this defense being that rare kind that can control a game well enough to take a lot of pressure from the offense's shoulders.

LawtonBoy74 likes this.
  6. soonermagic14

soonermagic14 New Member

They have been solid so far....except for BYU's final drive when we couldnt stop them on three 3rd down opportunities and a 4th down. The safeties are gelling now, Franks is playing better, our line is getting more pressure and Travis Lewis is everywhere. They have a big test tonight. I just hope Reynolds can hold up...he does look a bit slower and Miami may expose that.

7. BetterSoonerThanLater

BetterSoonerThanLater SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i think that may have just been becuase they were on the field so long.

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

BYU played well on that drive. Forcing 4 3rd downs and 1 4th made it tough on their offense and they made the plays. The only bust was the TD itself and that was on play 16. If we hold teams to 1 good drive per half, we should win every game if the offense does *anything*. Just didn't happen that day. BTW, I was envious of the play calling on the 4th down by BYU. They called 2 plays on 3rd down and ran them in quick succession having already decided to go on 4th. I'd love to see us do that sometime.

LawtonBoy74 likes this.
  9. AzianSooner

AzianSooner Well-Known Member

10. soonermagic14

soonermagic14 New Member

I just want to see the defense win one for us (like they should've done on that last drive vs BYU). They may get their chance tonight. In the comparison to 2001 Miami defense...I dont know about that YET

11. LawtonBoy74

LawtonBoy74 New Member

Yeah I hate when we start rated a defense before midway through the season, they are good but in the words of BILL PARCELS dont send them to Canton yet!!