1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU Jr Days/2013

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Herr Scholz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Be that as it may, we still get far fewer early commits than saxet does, and I'll be the first to admit that it seems like many of those who have commited early to us haven't been real productive.

2. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

But it's not as if you don't offer a ton of juniors early every year, regardless of when they commit. It probably takes a bit longer since you offer top guys all over the nation as well as offering a lot of Texas guys who grew up wanting to play for UT. Anyway, you were saying that you guys prefer to wait until their senior years to offer as opposed to us which just isn't true.

3. Herr Scholz

Update on interior O lineman Darius James:

Was planning on going to OU's 2nd JR day this weekend but now that's not happening. Hopefully having two of his high school teammates at UT (brothers Naashon and Camrhon Hughes) will help seal the deal for us. At 6'5" 320 pounds, he is widely considered the nation's No. 1 rated center by various recruiting services.

"James and Hughes were planning to attend Oklahoma's Junior Day on Saturday but chose not to this week. James is wearing a cast on his right foot after suffering a broken bone last week when he stepped in a hole on the Harker Heights practice field. His recovery should not affect James' involvement in spring football practices."

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=64610

4. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

????

ooooook

5. OU_Sooners75

Ummmmm.....

You do know they were not saying that neither would be attending right? They were saying that both had planned to attend and Hughes will not be attending....nothing about Darius James not coming to OU's JR day!

6. OU_Sooners75

Well, Soonerscoop says he will be there.

ESPN says he wont.

Who knows. If he doesn't he doesn't.

7. Herr Scholz

8. OU_Sooners75

9. Herr Scholz

10. Herr Scholz

Now reported to be attending UT's Spring game on April 1st. No fools.

11. Herr Scholz

Any impending OU commits looming? We've got the following recruits coming in next weekend for our Spring game. Trying to fill up our remaining 6 or 7 spots for this class (at 12 right now). We have 4 remaining in state offers (Manning, Samples, Prevot and Wilson) Thinking we finish with: WR Samples, TE Gow, DE Prevot, 1 DT (probably juco grad and former UT commit Quincy Russell - was an Army AA), 1 CB (Maurice Smith/Antwuan Davis/Cole Luke - want Smith) and 1 or 2 safeties (Kameron Miles/Marcell Harris/Vonn Bell/Su'a Cravens - hopefully Miles and Harris). Something like that.

DT Justin Manning (Dallas Kimball) - UT and OU offers - not holding my breath on this one. Seems like he wants to take his recruitment to Dec., is looking nationally and has ties to OU.

WR Rashaad Samples (Dallas Skyline) - UT and OU offers - has tweeted that UT leads, maybe the next one we get.

RB Dontre Wilson (DeSoto) - UT and OU offers - thinking Oregon will be hard to beat with this one.

DE Torrodney Prevot (Alief Taylor) - UT and OU offers - getting less confident here since he's looking nationally (had a great visit to LSU) and his stock has skyrocketed but UT still in good shape.

TE Trent Gow (Mansfield) - probable UT offer - Mack wants 2 true TEs in this class (as opposed to bulking up big WRs) and we'll be thin there in 2013. He'll jump on it if offered.

CB Cole Luke (Chandler, AZ) - OU offer and probable(?) UT offer - no clue on who we want at CB - no offers yet since it looks like we're only taking 1.

CB Stanvon Taylor (Tulsa, OK) - not sure if he gets an offer or not.

LB Hoza Scott (La Porte, 2014 early #1 player in TX) - future offer - he'll be the 1st guy we offer next Feb.

12. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

Herr, it "feels" like you guys are looking outside of the state a bit more this year than in previous years. Obviously you still get pickin's from within the state, but it feels like you guys are pushing the out of state recruiting a bit more.

13. Herr Scholz

Yeah, last year too. I think this change came with some of the SEC assistants we hired. Of course that doesn't explain our secondary coach Akina going OOS so much this year. He's the biggest one. I personally think there are several good in state DBs this year but that's why they don't pay me the big bucks.

14. OU_Sooners75

Herr, in all fairness, the so called "experts" are saying that this year is a down year as far as talent when it comes to DBs in Texas this year.

Not so sure that is true, but that is what they say.

Texas has always sent out quite a bit of letters and offers outside of their state. But they also pounce on local kids first because it is nothing quite like having talented kids willing to do whatever it takes to succeed at the school they grew up loving.

I wish OU would stop slow playing some of those type of kids...like they have Stavon (sp?) Taylor and even OU legacy Justin Manning (from Texas btw).

Manning would have been the first commit had OU not taken their sweet *** time...and now he is open to going anywhere. IMHO, I would be very surprised if he does commit to OU.

15. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Looks like another great class shaping up for Texas (and early too!).

16. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Good thing for us that many of the whorn recruits don't showcase their talent til they get to the pros.

17. Herr Scholz

I agree it's not deep but look at the offer lists of these 3 guys. Texas has yet to offer any of them. OU has offered the 2 top CBs.

CB Antwuan Davis, Bastrop (OU offer)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Antwuan-Davis-123937

CB Maurice Smith, Sugar Land (OU offer)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Maurice-Smith-132245

S Kameron Miles, Mesquite

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Kameron-Miles-120157

18. OU_Sooners75

So you give three out of how many normally? At least 10 every year have that type of offer list. Not this class.

19. Herr Scholz

I agree. Which makes it more curious to me why we're slowplaying these 3. Davis and Smith will be in Austin this Sunday for our Spring game and I think they're gone if they leave without offers. Prevot and Smith will also be at LSU's Spring game on Saturday. Here's a list of our visitors this weekend btw:

WR, Cayleb Jones, Austin High
    DT, Paul Boyette, Jr., Humble
    DT, Malcom Brown, Brenham
    LB, Tim Cole, Brenham
    CB, Bryson Echols, DeSoto
    S, Adrian Colbert, Mineral Wells
    --------------------------------------------------
    QB, Tyrone Swoopes, Whitewright - commit
    RB, Dontre Wilson, DeSoto - offered
    WR, Ra'Shaad Samples, Dallas Skyline - offered
    TE, Trent Gow, Mansfield - probably
    OL/DL, Jake Raulerson, Celina - commit
    DT, Justin Manning, Dallas Kimball - offered
    DT, Vincent Taylor, San Antonio Madison - doubtful
    DE, Torrodney Prevot, Alief Taylor - offered
    LB, Deoundrei Davis, Cy-Woods - commit
    CB, Antwuan Davis, Bastrop - hopefully
    CB, Cole Luke, Hamilton (Chandler, AZ) - hopefully
    CB, Maurice Smith, Fort Bend Dulles - hopefully
    ATH, Chevoski Collins, Livingston - doubtful
    ATH, Stanvon Taylor, East Central (Tulsa, OK) - doubtful
    K, Matt McCrane, Brownwood - walkon candidate
    --------------------------------------------------
    QB, Jerrod Heard, Denton Guyer
    WR, Keenen Brown, Alief Taylor
    OL, Jovan Pruitt, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    DE/LB, Hoza Scott, La Porte
    DE, Solomon Thomas, Coppell
    LB, Cameron Hampton, Dallas Carter
    CB, Cedric Collins, Dallas Skyline
    CB, Chris Hardeman, Alief Taylor
    CB, Nick Watkins, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    ATH, Nick Harvey, Lancaster

20. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

How many offers do you guys have out for CBs this year (for the 2013 class)?