1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics...

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by CatfishSooner, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

I broke my boycott inadvertently and watched some volleyball the other day.

I think volleyball may be the most intriguing sport to watch from the standpoint of how much timing plays into everything.

2. Pirate Past Fifty

Pirate Past Fifty New Member

Thanks--duh, I shoulda thought of that

3. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Yup, I'm fairly tall (6'3") used to be able to jump pretty well and still I was not great, or even especially good at volleyball, because I didn't play enough to develop that timing. To jump in the air as high as one can and hit the ball as hard as one can is not easy.

4. royalfan5

royalfan5 Superbia in Proelio

Which is why it always has surprised me that volleyball isn't bigger than it is. Granted my perspective is skewed by being from Nebraska where volleyball is a big deal, and given that my mom played collegiately and coached high school ball for a long time. But volleyball is a fun game to watch, especially live.

5. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

It really just baffles me how intricate their plays really are. I mean, on any given set you've got a couple of people faking a spike while two other people are setting up a block and another person is actually lining the ball up and timing her jump to pack the ball at the other side.

Seriously, it's just beautiful.

6. Paperclip

Paperclip SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Which is why I'm quite frustrated to not be able to watch live the men play for the gold medal. :mad:

7. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Team volleyball = cool.

Beach volleyball = lame.

And don't give me the "chicks + bikinis" argument. The swimmers and runners are hotter. ;)

8. royalfan5

royalfan5 Superbia in Proelio

For the record, even though she got the silver, I would totally let the Croatian High Jumper be the mother of my children.

9. GottaHavePride

Good lord. I agree.

10. Curly Bill

11. Paperclip

Paperclip SoonerFans.com Elite Member

12. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I respectfully believe the exact opposite. Beach Volleyball is extremely difficult and requires a ton of talent and endurance.

To each his own.

Civicus_Sooner likes this.
  13. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

Damn, the officiating in the gold medal men's game is beyond pathetic; these guys will probably be hired by the Pac 10 to do football games this season

14. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Spain played their arses off and we played horrible D but who the hell cares, the Gold Medal is back where it needs to be! USA Baby!!!!!!!!!!!

15. silverwheels

silverwheels SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Welcome back, gold medal in men's basketball.

16. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

too bad they can't do that in gymnastics and fagure skating.

17. Scott D

beach volleyball = fun. you probably have to work 1.5x harder in beach volleyball as compared to court volleyball.

try playing in a tournament, you'd understand real fast.

18. GottaHavePride

I understand how much more effort it is to play volleyball on sand. For whatever reason, I just don't find it an interesting sport to watch.

19. Curly Bill

It is somewhat like playing 2 on 2, or 3 on 3 basketball, it's fun but there's something missing.

20. Scott D

you just like women to have more clothes on imo ;)