1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oklahoma womens basketball blog 2010-11

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ...sooner

...sooner New Member

badg- i really enjoy reading everything you post & i actually read it all too! haha.. honestly i dont like womens basketball a WHOLE lot but you get me interested. i havent been to a game yet but i plan on going to some. my good friend is the niece of stacy hansmeyer!

badger likes this.
  2. SbOrOiNaEnR

SbOrOiNaEnR New Member

If SoonerFans.com's most beloved short-legged omnivore will permit me a guest post, I'd like to make known this latest example of high class shown by our ladies' program. Starts at the top, with Sherri's latest acolade.

Link

badger likes this.
  3. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't know how to follow THAT post.All I w as going to say was how incredible this team has been from 3 point range,shooying almost 41 % as a team.By comparison to what Sherri has acheived in the REAL world,this pales miserably.

badger likes this.
  4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

You'll rarely see this much time off in the middle of basketball season for our teams. Thank god for finals, huh?

Because I know some of you get sick of me posting lengthy words constantly, I'm gonna try to get some of our more notorious posters involved in some special features later this season. There's only so much shoddy Paint and badger ranting you all should be expected to take.

So, no men's basketball till Saturday and no womens bball till Sunday, so till then, here's some links to recent basketball features from local media:

ESPN blogs on the team's off-court volunteerism here

Capel and Coale talk at a fundraiser for the Children's House here.

News on an Iowa recruit Sherri's going after here.

A feature on Coalton Coale, Sherri's son who is part of the women's male practice team here.

The real womens blog at SS.com has videos up of Coale's weekly show and players' holiday memories here.

Also, I think Danielle just graduated, based off all the twitter messages here.

If you only have time for one, read the ESPN blog.

Boomer!

5. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

This is a battle in piggyland!
    D Rob=Westbrook's twin

40-40 10:30

6. soonerbub

soonerbub New Member

dam oinkers

7. badger

OK, let us just dispense with the pleasantries and go straight to the point - I need to call someone out. Now. Today.
    [​IMG]

No, not Joanna McFarland, who at least gives us some hope of a post presence and occasional rebounding. She is not Courtney Paris, but then again, nobody is yet (because until Maya Moore gets to the end of her senior year, there is still only ONE... four-time all-american in college womens basketball history).

No, I am calling out the other player standing in Exhibit A, who like in this picture, always seems to be standing around on offense as everyone runs circles around her, trying to make some semblance of scoring happen. It got to the point last night that Arkansas wasn't even guarding her, because there was no risk of her attempting to score, or at least a very minor, minor risk at anything.

Jasmine Hartman.

With at much space as the Lady Hogs (ewwww) were giving you on offense, you should have ended up with more than four points (which coincidentally, is the number of turnovers on your box score stats). You occasionally get some good assists in, but for the most part, I watch our offense perplexed, wondering how a junior of your talent can possibly only be a star on defense for the most part.

And then... last night, it became clear. They would mug D-Rob in full-court pressure even when they're up by 10. They would clog the lane to prevent Joanna from getting easy lay-ups. They would face-guard Morgan le Tre and Vegas (Aaryn Ellenberg's Sherri-appointed nickname) to prevent open three's.

But you... they didn't care about guarding you.

Are you just going to dribble up at the 3-point line and LET them disrespect you? Are you OK with opponents double-teaming someone because they don't have to stick a defender on you anymore???

We are now ten games into the season - all 10 of which you have started, logging on average about 28 per game. In this time, you've only shot seven free throws (only making 3) and accumulated a grand total of... 33 points.

I'm not trying to be cruel, but this is your junior year. You only have four years to play college sports and your time is more than halfway up at this point. Nyeshia Stevenson once hesitated on her shots also, but learned by her senior year that hesitating is no way to play basketball... and it's probably torture, too. It's time for you to be an upperclasswomen leader on both offense and defense. It's time for you to make defenses pay for not respecting your scoring ability. It's time for Jasmine Hartman to be the star that we recruited in the same class as Whitney Hand. Step it up, girl.

:(

PS: We lost to Arky in case you didn't hear. Boo. The 10-point loss was mostly a meltdown in the second half with tons of turnovers, actually much closer and we led much of the game till late when the scariest, manliest opposing center started frightening children in attendance. Cue the trolling that Stoops got during the football season - derp derp, you win at home during your big home winning streak, but not on the road? Derrrrrp

8. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Jas really needs to find out what she's doing on the court. We allowed them to play 5 on 4 defense all game because she was on the court, and we're not good enough on O to have that happen.

I liked what I saw from Hook, and Ellenberg showed up even though she was struggling. How can you be a junior, watching those two do everything they can to score, then get a pass at the top of the key and stand there looking around as the defense gives you ten feet to do whatever you want?

They weren't even looking at you at one point! That is disrespect, right there.

9. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

Maybe the return of Whitney can reduce Jaz to more of the role player she really is. She shouldn't be playing the type of minutes she's playing because she's so offensively limited (although I agree with you that it seems like she puts the limits on herself by not even ATTEMPTING any offensive production).

Jaz is a help on defense but she's murdering us on the offensive end of the court. I don't know why she doesn't try to go to the basket more and use her strength advantage over most other guards to get a shot.

10. tash0310

tash0310 New Member

sooo do you guys think Whitney is gonna start in her first game back?? if so who do you think she is gonna replace??

11. badger

btw, sent the broken dial off to the college of engineering. The chemical engineers thought the issue was with team chemistry. Even though they were right, they still received a failing grade:
    [​IMG]
    Morgan was off Sunday night in her home state, while Vegas replaced her 3's with eight *yes I said eight* turnovers.

As for who Whitney Hand will steal minutes from, I think it will be a mix of Jaz and her very good friend Carlee. While she's out there doing warmup drills and practicing and all, I'm just not sure that Whitney will be ready to mega-contribute right away, so there's the possibility that she'll be taking some of Morgan's minutes off-the-bench... but she gets 26 a night, so don't feel too bad. Morgan lately has been playing more than starters with her hot hand (well, not too hot Sunday) so maybe that off-the-bench spark role will be Whitney's before she assumes her usual starter spot again.

The women have a 10-day break, so since I haven't done this recently, have a Coale pic:
    [​IMG]

Boomer!

12. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

She so pretty... :)

Looking forward to Hand coming back and providing some on-the-court leadership. I love DRob, but I don't think she's an on the court leader.

13. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think Jas will lose the most PT and Carlie will also lose some.

14. badger

Merry Christmas, all

Instead of focusing on how many turnovers, how many free throws, how many threes, let's have the holiday week topic be something fun:

Twitter.

A bunch of our Sooner girls are on it, and some are officially on it, meaning they're linked up with SS.com on everything (D-Rob and Whitney this season). Here's what they're saying and links to their profiles in case you're into this sort of thing:

CP3's twitter here.

D-Rob's twitter here.

Whitney's twitter here.

Le Tre's twitter here.

Ny's twitter here.

Abi's twitter here.

"waitress21" twitter here.

AP5's twitter here.

"Sherri's" twitter here.
    Really there's no twitter phone book out there, so I only see these via SS.com. I'll post others if they're public and if it's certain they're real :)

Boomer!

15. tash0310

tash0310 New Member

A couple others I at least know that have a twitter are jacq and then also carlolyn winchester (or I guess baker now)... But jacq's twitter name is @JacqJacqRadio and carolyn's is @newbake I think those are the only other two I know of... :) but on another note I'm extremely excited bc I'm pretty sure I get to go to the game tomorrow... But if someone could help me I have a question, can I buy tickets at the door or should I buy them in advance online or something??

16. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

Ahhhh Carolyn Winchester.... Always thought she was the prettiest one!

As far as tickets, you can get them at the door or just hold up the # of tickets you need and you'll probably get some for free from a fan with extra! :D

17. tash0310

tash0310 New Member

Yeah she is really pretty!! I have always thought her, carlee, and whitney are really pretty!! :)

And okayy thank you that will be great :) I prob won't get that great of seats but I don't care bc I'm actually getting to go and it will be my first time :)

18. nativesooner

nativesooner New Member

Yeah, those are some lookers! :) Too bad I'm old... and fat... and ugly... and married..lol! j/k!

I've been to several games and have been able to get great lower level seats outside about an hour before. Just hold up the amount you need and I'm sure you'll get some. I've always been happy to pay face value but most folks have never wanted the $$. You shouldn't have a problem at all. Enjoy it!

19. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

The trick is just buy cheap-*** upper bowl tickets. After opening tip they'll let you come down into the lower bowl to fill seats.

20. badger

Sorry for not mentioning last night's game beforehand. I've been under the weather lately and honest-to-gawd... forgot they were playing. I fail at being a fan :(

I've been a fan of this team for a long time, but I can't remember us hitting century as often as we have lately, not even back when we had Stacey, LaNeisha and Roz (in fact, I don't think we hit century at all that year). We scored 118 points last night to Pine Bluff's 52. Holy. Sh!t.

It seems like everything that went wrong last game went right this game. Turnovers kept to a minimum, more free throws, more 3's, you name it.

In fact you name it - here's the box score. Everyone played awesome, so let's just name the team the player of the game. Go us :)

Boomer!