1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, High Definition recording guys...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Norm In Norman, Sep 4, 2006.

1. OUstud

OUstud New Member

Will the OU-Oregon game be in HD too?

2. hurricane'bone

hurricane'bone Well-Known Member

where can I get a codec to watch the mpeg-ts

3. soonersam

soonersam Well-Known Member

how do I set the time so it will stop blinkin 12:00

RacerX likes this.
  4. sooners2k3

sooners2k3 New Member

where can i find these, and all other OU torrents?

5. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Looks like it.

6. jwlynn64

jwlynn64 New Member

7. Getem

Getem New Member

Yeah, that's it. Plus, I get a rush every time the encoder's progress bar moves a pixel.

I'm guessing the transport stream will run around 24 gig. We would probably want to break it up by quarters and have 4 files about 6 gig apiece. Sounds big, but even using the xvid it's still going to be 6 gig total. We could squeeze it further and lose some quality, or try new h.264 codecs or something.

That first file is just mpeg2, any media player ought to be able to play it, as long as your computer is reasonably fast.

There's a thread on avsforum that gives instruction on how to capture the transport stream out of a DVR box to your firewire-equipped computer. Here's the link

Hopefully I can make some significant progress tomorrow evening. It just takes so long to do some stuff. Like where these sync errors are, if I hit one while I am extracting a piece, the software I am using goes into this rewind mode which for some reason can take several hours to get past. I'm trying to figure a way around that.

8. hurricane'bone

hurricane'bone Well-Known Member

Hmmm....WMP goes looking for a codec and QT tells me it isn't a movie file.

I'm running XP Pro, on Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1 gig ram, and a decent graphics card. So I assume it isn't my hardware.

9. instigator

instigator SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well my DVR usually makes 3 hour HD sports broadcasts around 40GB. It has built in ability to cross convert to Divx or HD WMV files so I can kick off the convert when I get home It would likely take all night given my weak CPU. I can get the file down to DVD size at close to a quality that looks like HD. I still haven't found the exact conversion that I keep finding on torrents where a 1 hour HD show is 350mb with pretty good quality. I'll make sure my roommate has clear instructions not to eff with the DVR on Saturday! :)

10. instigator

Don't buy this card. I have it and it is a CPU hog. The Dvico and Hauppage use less resources and are actually cheaper. I bought the ATI because I found it locally, but my 2.8ghz cpu in the DVR can't watch HD while recording HD. I can only do one at a time because of the card.

11. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

the first clip is looking for a codec...

12. ou4me

ou4me New Member

This would all be pretty much moot if KOCO would unblock their signal from the SW side of town. I have all the necessities to record on my computer in HD, and convert it to get it ready for download, but I can't get the OTA signal where I live. They block full power to the SW to protect the anlog signal of the Lawton station on channel 7.

13. Norm In Norman

Norm In Norman Adminstrator of PAIN

Cox. It works at least 15 minute per hour.

14. Norm In Norman

Speaking of that, you inspired me to try converting my SD version of last week's game to xvid. I started the process at 11:30 last night. This morning at 6:30 it said it was 59% done ... with the first pass. The way the tutorial told me to do it I had to do 2 passes, whatever that means. I may have to start over for the second pass if it's not done by this evening. I barely had enough processor to unlock the machine this morning.

The funny thing is, I can only assume I messed things up since it's my first try. I'll probably have to do it all over.

15. Norm In Norman

The Lost episodes I've downloaded have 700 meg versions and 350 meg versions. The 350 meg versions are at a lower resolution than the 700 meg ones. I don't know anything else about them though. Do they have a tutorial at afterdawn?

16. sooner969

sooner969 New Member

H.264 would be superb if you could encode it into that. If anyone wants to give it a go PM me and I'll send you the encoder or tell you torrent guys where to get it.

17. Getem

Getem New Member

Hmm, my wmp will play the mpg but not the avi. Do you have a DVD player on your computer? PowerDVD or WinDVD? I will usually use that or VLC for playing videos on Winders.

18. instigator

I am running a test tonight. I will record the Steelers game and encode it a few different ways to see how big the file will be.

19. Getem

Getem New Member

I'm hoping there's some software that lets you cluster your computers for encoding. I've got 3 PCs about 3.0ghz-ish and another at 2.0 that could cut down a lot on encoding times working together. Only problem is 2 run Linux and 2 run WinXP.

The nice thing about 2-pass is that supposedly you don't have to redo the first pass if you change some settings and re-encode. The 1st pass is just gathering statistics to calc the optimal bitrate. Not sure if that's true or not.

20. Getem

Getem New Member

It looks like the latest Avidemux has support for x264 built in. May have to try that out. Right now I'm just trying to get the pieces out of the transport stream with proper audio sync and all.