1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2014 LOI confirmation thread

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

I don't pay either, just read an article on ESPN and one on scout I think that said he was an Oklahoma State fan.

8timechamps likes this.
  2. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Speaking of Metoyer...refresh my memory on what happened with him? Did he leave? Seems I remember something about that???

3. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

He really wanted to leave a part of himself in Norman...but that didn't work out so well.

4. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hopefully, he left to get some help - he is definitely broken.

5. Curly Bill

Metoyer, Calhoun, Washington, Good, Bomar...our recent run with 5-star guys hasn't been so great. Hopefully Mr Mixon will be an AD or Gerald McCoy type 5-star!

6. 8timechamps

No doubt. Washington was probably the one guy that contributed the most, and it wasn't until his senior year, and it wasn't really that much.

I guess the book is written on Metoyer yet, maybe he'll end up at a small school and prove himself.

7. Curly Bill

The East Texas guys have killed us! Good, Calhoun, Metoyer, the Johnson kid from Gilmer. Geographically all of em from pretty close together. Of course AD was from that area too, so maybe we shouldn't give up hope?!

8. 8timechamps

Some of it came from lazy evaluating, I think. Calhoun certainly looked the part in high school, but didn't pan out. I think Metoyer had the talent, but mentally wasn't there (clearly).

Maybe a change of 5-star venue is what was needed....Maybe the Cali 5 star guys are more predictable. Let's hope so.

9. Curly Bill

Yeah, I'll go back to what I've been saying about Texas players. The top-level guys have in many instances peaked or almost peaked, due to the crazy emphasis put on high school football in Texas, and that's during season, offseason, in the weight room, on the track, the high level coaching they get, you name it. So...many of those Texas guys are as good as they're gonna get by the time they're done with high school, whereas I think guys from other states have more room to develop maybe?

10. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Jimmy Wilkerson.

11. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Heh, we've already been over this. The last 8 Cali 5* running backs haven't finished school with the team that signed them.

12. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Manuel Johnson was snake bit (a lot like Jacob Gutierrez). Some guys just have a knack for freak injuries.

13. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'll take my chances with Mixon.

14. 8timechamps

There may very well be some truth to that. What I've found interesting in the past couple of years are guys getting to Oklahoma that have never spent time in a weight room (Charles Tapper, incoming freshman Dwayne Orso). These are guys from outside of the Texas area, that are from parts of the country where high school football is big, but not at the level of Texas high school football.

15. 8timechamps

We have, but in some of those instances I think attitude/behavior had more to do with it than inability.

Scout ranked Brennan Clay a 5 star out of Cali, and while it took him a while, he ended up pretty solid.

On film, Mixon looks better than any I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years.

16. Curly Bill

I'm talking about Justin Johnson. Highly touted 4-star RB. I think we wanted him to convert to LB, he didn't want to & he couldn't get on the field very much at RB.

17. Curly Bill

I consider Manuel Johnson to have had a pretty good college career.

18. Curly Bill

Just noticed Justin Johnson was in that same class as Calhoun, Good & Washington. Jameel Owens was also in there and Joseph Ibiloye.

Talk about some highly touted guys that amounted to not very much!!!

edit...Throw Stacy McGee in there too

19. Curly Bill

Since I'm on a roll - it's fun to go back and look at some of those classes, see who met or exceeded expectations, see who was utter fail, and in many cases guys who for whatever reason left nothing behind at all except the adulation they might have got on signing day and then seemed to fall off the face of the earth.

20. 8timechamps

Yeah, I think throwing McGee in there is fair. His situation was weird, and he ended up making it to the NFL, but never really became the player he was expected to be when he got to Norman.