1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

off -season strength and conditioning & injuries

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by S008NER, Nov 23, 2009.

1. S008NER

S008NER New Member

We all the several key injuries we have had over the past few seasons, is it possible these injuries were the result of just bad luck or the failure of the strength & conditioning program /S&T coaches? Bill Walsh wrote that teams that are riddled with injuries often have a poor off-season training regiment. Is strength and conditioning possibly an issue with the football program in regards to injuries or was it just bad luck?

2. OKLA21FAN

OKLA21FAN New Member

3. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Schmidt is widely considered one of the best in the biz so im not sure

4. rawlingsHOH

rawlingsHOH New Member

I really doubt OU radically changed their condition program after the 2008 season.

5. EnragedOUfan

EnragedOUfan New Member

I agree except that he is the best in the business when it comes to getting players injured.

6. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

By who exactly?

7. Collier11

by anyone and everyone who knows about college sports, sports training, etc...and im not talking fans, im talking people actually involved

8. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wow, okay. Quite a statement.

I haven't exactly heard glowing reports from a former player. But I'm also not going to blame all of these injuries on Schmidt. I mean, he was here in '99 and 2000.

9. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Everyone is searching for the right guy to hang all of this on.

Till Stoops decides to make a change...it just isn't going to happen no matter how much you wish yourself to be right about the scenarios you paint.

Bob is so tight about Team Information and I think this really plays into feeding the Monster. We weren't happy losing BCS Bowl Games...who could be? Now lets continue to badger the Coaching Staff again until we get what we want. I just can go through it again...I just have decided not to be a party to it this time.

EnragedOUfan is a perfect example.

He has no proof that Smiddy is the reasn that kids are injured and he comes right out on an OU message board acting like he knows what's wrong.

Seriously...You got neg'd by me.

olevetonahill likes this.
  10. Collier11

Ive heard many players as well as people around college football talk about how he is one of the best

Exactly

11. Crucifax Autumn

Crucifax Autumn SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think if you look at AD's size and vertical leap when he got here and when he left you can tell that our conditioning is top notch.

12. Collier11

look at Mark Clayton, look at all the guys we have put in the NFL

13. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

Conditioning doesn't cause injuries. Injuries are a luck thing. If you have too little conditioning you can probably have more injuries.

14. SoonerMavrick25

SoonerMavrick25 New Member

I agree with StoopTroup.... It’s sad that some really unfortunate injuries have happened this year, and now it's due to our (poor) strength and conditioning coach. Look its football; things happen, but to blame someone like Schimmdy for the way the season has turned out is completely asinine.

15. rawlingsHOH

rawlingsHOH New Member

The complaints use to be that the NFL conditioning was bad, because all of OU's guys were getting hurt once they got to the league, but were never hurt here under Schmidty.

The good old days!

Fans are ridiculous.

16. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Dude I've been posting this question for years. And, people have pooh-poohed me.

But, with all of the linemen that have been run off combined with the multiple players who've had multiple knees injuries here and once they hit the pros out of our program, I've alway thought it was fair ask.

However, there is always that faction here that says, "Bob is always right." "Don't question Schmidt." "Those who leave are just p*ssies." And, the ever popular, "Every school goes through these things."

To me, there's a balance based on simple physics in what you have certain types of players do in the weight room. And, there's a limit on what a body will take...especially 320+ pound linemen who already stress their lower bodies with the amount of weight they carry even before they strap it on for deep squats.

17. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

Our defensive linemen are big about 6-3 300 and something lbs each. Why are they not getting hurt? We've pretty much played both our DTs about 98% of the time this year.

18. Collier11

90% of injuries are freak or bad luck IMO, the other 10% are because of poor conditioning

Thats just my humble opinion though

19. ndpruitt03

ndpruitt03 New Member

And poor conditioning to me would mean that there wasn't enough conditioning going on. Most of the people that complain about Schmidt say he's doing too much conditioning, which is stupid.

20. Collier11

so in that case it would point to the player being lazy when the coaches arent looking