1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not well-coached and TK may not be the answer...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoCalBigRed, Nov 8, 2014.

1. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

A mistake here and there, by the coaching staff... we all see it, should expect it. But, we get called for ridiculous for or are guilty of just completely ridiculous stuff. 12 men on the field, when you have the opponent stopped in the red zone? 10 men on the field giving up huge plays? Watching them go away from things that are working, or not adjusting to the other coaching staff's adjustments, to what was working?

TK, as someone noted in the game thread, seems to be brilliant with his arm, if its not a designed pass play, or he has to move because of pressure (ones he doesn't rightfully throwaway). Set pass plays, he locks on his primary receiver before the ball is snapped. Its like he's at the line and he's thinking the whole time, "OK... going to throw it to Shep, right here, at this moment." Never thinking he might have to go through reads.

And why isn't the coaching staff playing to his strengths? We don't need him to run the ball. We just need to get him out of the pocket, give him options to use his legs. He seems to make good decisions there. Keep pounding them, with that huge line (but not straight up the middle, for each running play, on obvious running down/yard situations), rotating the best backfield combo in the country, with a mobile QB and we'll win.

But its like we see different teams, on different drives. "OK, that worked last time... let's see if we can do this to."

NO! You keep doing what's working, until they prove they can stop you. We went away from it, as soon as BU adjusted. We threw the whole thing in the crapper, because BU adjusted. Know what you do, when the other team puts a spy on your QB... you mix it up, go quick, go both sides, spread it out. That's not what OU does. We'll suddenly start handing it off to the RB up the gut, 3 consecutive times... or turn TK into a pocket passer (where he locks onto primary targets).

We've got some problems. Hopefully, TK just needs another year of seasoning. Though a couple of those throws today are very concerning. Twice literally hitting BU defender in the torso region, with the ball.

Those coaching mistakes I said we all see... problem is... we see these things happen 2 or 3 times a GAME, 2 or 3 times a year. They're big mistakes. They're mistakes that cost us games. That just can't happen, repeatedly.

Hope Coach Stoops doesn't lose 2 game in Norman, in a single season. Has he done that yet?

There definitely needs to be some sort of shifts in the off-season. Whether they be personnel, philosophy, whatever... but, this is getting old and I'm a lifetime member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

In 2012 they lost to K State and Notre Dame at home.

SoCalBigRed likes this.
  3. Rogue

Rogue Answers - 25 Cents

Ahem. "Someone?"
    :D

4. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

Thank you for the prompt reply. I wasn't asking to be a smartass. I honestly couldn't remember... and didn't want to look it up. Kind of sore, right now.

5. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

We have already changed philosophies. Time to change the coaching staff. It won't happen unless Bob leaves on his own. We have maybe the 4th best coach in a crappy league and about the 6th best staff.

6. tooslow

tooslow Active Member

I think the main problem is that many people bought into the hype for this season. The expectations were based solely on the Alabama game. In reality, we have a decent QB, good but not great, strong RBs, average secondary (at least the scheme seems to be average,) and average WRs outside of Shep. Of course, it's hard to tell if the other receivers are average or if the QB is to blame. I think if we were unranked to start the season, most people would have a different reaction. I think we have a good team, it's just not one of the elite units when you throw everyone together.

I also think Knight gives is the best chance to win, since the coaches know what will happen if they put in a replacement. So until someone better comes along, Knight will continue to be the guy. Hopefully he gets much much better at his decision making. He shows flashes of brilliance against good teams, but seems to make too many mistakes for the team to overcome, some his and some caused by the other team.

7. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

Agree with the title.
    Don't know how coordinators survive a complete blundering cluster(*&^ like this year w/o nepotism from the top. Just pitiful game plans on both sides of the ball (not playing to the strengths and especially no quality halftime adjustments).
    Seriously we're not even well coached enough for an end (wide-receiver) around to wait for his blocks to develop w/o running up the back of our blocker and falling down. I know the guy is a frosh, but geeez, at the very least this staff could do if you've got that play in the playbook is coach the wrs up a little during the week.

As far as TK goes, I think he's good for 8 or 9 wins a season in this watered down conference and maybe a shared conference championship in the next couple of years but unless he learns not to lock on to his primary receiver and actually see the defenders in the middle of the field before unloading, he won't take us anywhere close to the playoffs. The argument that he's still young after 11 game starts, just doesn't hold sunshine-pumper water anymore. imo.

Typical, 3rd down and one from about the 3 and we run a slow developing hand-off up the middle and get stuffed, and then we throw incomplete on 4th down--from the opponents 3 yard line, and we can't get into the ez. Just pizz-poor coaching.

We need a quality 3rd quarter to get back into the game and get outscored 14-0. pitiful. Wouldn't be surprised if we fall apart the rest of the year, and start by getting drubbed by Tech in Lubbock.

8. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

I'd change it to not well coached and TK is not the answer, but otherwise--pretty much.

9. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm so thankful we have this thread. It's much better than the other 10 that have been started this year...

10. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

[​IMG]

11. soonerfan69

soonerfan69 Well-Known Member

You just gotta love giving the WR's a 10 yd cushion letting them pick up first downs so easy and not make an adjustment all game hell even the DB's were pissed about it

12. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I agree with SoCal's title. This is not a well coached team and the coaches are not getting it done. Stoops = Kelvin Sampson now, i.e. Hold the ball and pass around until the last second and then miss the shot. Sitting pretty in his big contract, no worry about performance. There is no excuse for this score against Baylor, frickin Baylor. Getting outcoached by art biles is just sad and Stoops has been outcoached by him for several years now. Just sad. I will delete this game and never watch it, don't need to waste my precious time with that. In fact, ole Stoopsie has cured me of rabid football fandom, thanks. I am done as a fan as long as we see coaching performances like this...

13. East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias Active Member

Not well coached and Knight is not the answer. I got drilled on here a few weeks ago by the sunshine pumpers for saying OU is a middle-tier team. We are not elite but in the class with the UCLA's , Clemson and Nebraska's of the world. The high expectations have not been not validated. For me the Texas game said it all. We barely got out of there and Texas stinks. We can't out-talent anyone anymore, we need an upgrade at QB and both lines.

14. aero

aero Well-Known Member

Didn't get to see the game today as was on the road all day. Seems like I've seen more posts saying the defense was bad today but I'm confused a bit. I understand giving up 48 doesn't look good on a defense but I'm looking at 14 points, 13 first downs, and about 10 minutes of possession difference. Just looking at the box score it doesn't look like the offense did much. I know this D isn't what everyone seemed to think it would be but I also know when an offense goes 3 and out a bunch and can't score points there are a lot of teams out there that will eventually stress a defense and put up points. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

15. aurorasooner

We were just 4 for 13 on 3rd downs and 0-2 on 4th downs. Those 4 3rd down makes must of happened in the 1st quarter. Pretty bad to score zero in the last 3 quarters and expect to keep up, much less beat a Baylor, K-State, or TCU or for that matter any top 30 team.
    About the only way to beat these offenses is for our offense to stay on the field and score touchdowns. I know our D had some problems today but some of that can be directly related to our abysmal offense. Not all of it, but some of it.
    There is no way that the Baylor D should hold our offense to just 2 TDs. No way. If we don't take it to the house with breakaway long runs (Ross stumbling today) or passes and especially if we don't get any turnovers on D, we're screwed. It's just as simple as that.

16. Snrinhouston

Snrinhouston Active Member

This^^^^^^^^

Hopefully even the most ardent Stoops defenders are beginning to realize that OU is incapable of competing for a national title. And, once again, OU fallen off the national radar before the middle of November.

17. GDC

GDC New Member

Yes, it was a cluster**** all the way around, but if you watch Baylor's first drive of the second half you'll understand the frustration. It was surreal.

18. aurorasooner

As I commented in the "Baylors 1st drive of the 2nd half thread" that defensive philosophy was not only poor, but just downright stupid, imho. I thought we were maybe baiting them for a pick, but to let them continue with completing the short passes right down the field for 6 was something that even Boo Blake wouldn't have let them do w/o some kind of adjustment. (well, perhaps Blake would've, but I never thought that I'd see that from either Mike or Bob).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  19. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Oh, and TK is definitely not the answer. I have been patient with the kid, but he has Landry Disease without the benefit of Landry's accuracy. His legs can offset that somewhat, when we choose to use them. You can improve accuracy, but the kid has lousy field vision, particularly when his midget self has to look over the middle of the field past a bunch of 6'5" linemen on both sides of the ball. Unless he grows about 3-4 more inches, that isn't going to change. And the other thing is he's fragile. I know he got a bit crunched on the play that hurt him, but c'mon. The kid has about a 50/50 shot of coming up gimpy if he is hit. No wonder Bob doesn't like running him. But since the season is effectively over and we'll be playing in some worthless toilet bowl, him being hurt might be a good thing if it is long term and gives some reps to our backups. Cody Thomas doesn't look very good, but maybe he can actually improve with reps, unlike TK.

Another thing I noticed is the team didn't just quit tonight, but they appeared to quit on the coaches. The Stoops Bros were jawing at some poor DB over something in the second half, and he looked to be giving it right back at them, as if to say, "The entire stadium is booing the fact that we are playing 10 yards off these guys. Why are you yelling at me?" I fear that perhaps Mike has lost his defense, much like he lost his entire team in Arizona. If that's the case, he has to go regardless of his performance (and he has still been an upgrade over Venables). The problem is that Bob will never let that happen, and Bob will never be shown the door.

We continue to slide toward irrelevance in a conference that is mediocre. Texas has had a nice slide and we don't pick up the slack. Instead, we let all the also-rans take those Texas recruits that Mack underachieved with and they actually figure out how to use them, unlike Mack Brown and-- apparently-- unlike Bob Stoops. Bob is washed up. I hate saying it, but it's obvious. We can't win the conference even when Texas is twiddling its thumbs. What we are seeing is Joe Pa in his last 20 years, only 20 years too soon. We are witnessing Mack Brown's last 4 years in the form of Bob Stoops. We continue to make excuses. We continue to say wait until next year. There is no next year as long as Bob Stoops is running the show. It's just a multiyear weenie tease that we get and nothing more. You think we are going to be playoff bound next year with TK, an improving Texas, and Baylor, OSU, and KSU on the road? I don't. It is going to be more of the same. More failure. More brainfarts. More TK throwing to wide open linebackers. More wasted timeouts. More games where either the team or the coaches don't show up. It is system and endemic at this point. The only solution is wholesale change.

OUmillenium likes this.
  20. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

This 'Knight and his legs' baloney has to go. His legs don't mean crap. He is a quarterback. At this level, you have to be accurate and have a quick release. He has neither of those things.

He's nothing but Practice Squad Manziel. Our "brain trust" have now wasted two season trying to convince everyone that he's an FBS-level quarterback suitable for a top team. He's not.

As I've stated many, many, many times before, Alabama sleepwalking through the Sugar Bowl was a fluke. Knight belongs at Texas State or Sam Houston State of Stephen F. Austin. He is not an FBS-level QB.

OUmillenium likes this.