1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no baseball in the olympics, why?

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by ouradu, Feb 9, 2006.

1. suncoastsooner7

suncoastsooner7 New Member

Where do I start?

The Olympics did not get rid of Baseball for a lack of popularity around the globe it got rid of it because of a lack of support for it in the Olympics itself. MLB can't really expect the Olympics to grow its popularity around the world while in the same breath slighting it. Baseball facilities are not cheap to build and serve virtualy no purpose after the event in cities, such as London, who are future hosts of the games. Hockey finds a way to allow its elite players to participate in the Olympic games. Why can't baseball do the same? Two weeks is how long it takes for the entire Olympics to be held. What would be the overall impact on the league if once every four years they played a 152 game schedule instead of a 164 game schedule. Very little is what I think. Even in worse case scenario they could cram one extra series each month by taking away 3 off days a month once every four years and using them for series that would normally be played during the Olympics. MLB has really missed the boat on this one and they will discover that as Soccer's popularity continues to grow in the States.

I am also excited about the prospects of the World Baseball Classic and in time it might grow to a scale comparable to the World Cup of Soccer but not for atleast another two decades and that doesn't help the sport grow NOW. Growing NOW is what it needs to continue to be succesful.

I'd also like to make note that comparing the Olympic soccer compition to that of the World Cup is not fair. The Olympics is basically the Junior World Championships with a professional flavor thrown in. The Olympics are pretty much all about developing future World Cup atheletes. The Olympic teams that compete are basically the Junior National teams from around the globe with three "stars" from their country thrown into the group. All but three of your players must be under the age of 21 at the start of the games to compete. The three allowances are basically for the countries three premeir players to compete along side the Junior National team.

2. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Why no American football in the Olympics?

Oh lord what I wouldn't give to see an American linebacker knock some candy *** European in pads to the ground.