1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Big 12 TV contract is HUGE

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Collier11, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Didnt see this posted anywhere else...

New Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBSSports.com and other Big 12 beat writers in Waco that the conference’s new television deals with ESPN and Fox would likely be finalized and signed this week.

“I feel good about where we are right now,” Bowlsby said. “We released the first three weeks of the schedule so we’re sort of operating as if the contract is signed. There are no major pitfalls, we just have some things we need to put together — dotted I’s and crossed T’s. I’m hopeful we’ll get it done in the next few days.”

Bowlsby valued the combined contracts at $2.6 billion paid over 13 years – pumping a projected $200 million annually into the league through 2025.
    Bowlsby also said site selection for the Big 12-SEC Champions Bowl is expected to be finalized by the end of the month. Bowlsby declined to name the five bids the two leagues received — speculated to be Arlington, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans and San Antonio.

ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported multiple sources identified Arlington and New Orleans as favorites in “a two-horse race” with Atlanta considered a long shot to host the inaugural Champions Bowl pitting the champions of the Big 12 and the SEC.

ouflak likes this.
  2. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

I was wondering what had happened to this. Good that there is an update I guess, though it would be nice to have a few more details considering that the deal was supposed to be done before the season started. I'm assuming this will not affect this year's TV schedule in any remarkable way? Just increased revenue and that's it?

3. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, if they pick N'awlins or Atlanta, we'll be playin against the home team
    in their back yard all the time. Pick San Antonio or Houston, even Jerry's
    World, least it'd be a little closer...

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

The Texas market and recruiting base is too important to the SEC and Big 12 to ignore. Have it at Jerryworld, Houston or San Antonio.

I don't see Jerry Jones not using his huge influence (read: wallet) to land this game.

5. MI Sooner

MI Sooner New Member

$20 million per year for 1st and 2nd tier rights for 13 years isn't that much. I think it will be surpassed by re-negotiated SEC and Big 10 contracts. I think I heard somewhere that TCU and WVU don't get full shares. Does anyone know if that's true?

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

True, as part of their entrance to the Big 12.

Here's a link for TCU info.

It makes sense for us to limit WVU's take, considering we helped bail them outta Big East jail. Here's a link on them.

Still, methinks they're both getting a bigger haul than they would in the Big Least.