1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBA Finals Thread: Mavs vs. Heat

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by colleyvillesooner, Jun 4, 2006.

1. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

well, there is the WNBA for the real round ball junkies.

2. sas

sas New Member

Why watch that.

The NBA season starts again next week.

3. BeetDigger

BeetDigger SoonerFans.com Elite Member

One question: why do people congratulate someone who rooted for a team when that team wins? What part did they play in the outcome, other than yelling (or posting on the Innerweb) from home? Guess what? The team who you chose to root for won and 1) your cup of coffee still costs $3 at Starbucks; 2) no one still wants your autograph; 3) your company still expects you to get your work done; 4) the mortgage payment still must be made and 5) your odds of getting cancer have not changed since yesterday. But hey, if it makes you so happy that you want to run outside naked, go for it. But do me a favor and let me know so that I can go inside and close the blinds. :D

4. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, the Rangers and Red Sox are in first place.

5. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dude, you came off like a dick cause you just showed up in this thread or the NBA PLayoff thread for the first time 15 mins after the Mavs lost the Finals. This thread is filled with Die hard Mavs fans and a few Heat fans. That's just a sorry move, IMHO. It's not like you were here the whole time expresing how you wished the Mavs would lose.

Remember what it was like after 55-19 when people just showed up on here to talk ****. Remember what it was like when people at your work talked **** about the game, even though they never talked College Football with you ever before that. That was what you comments were like for us. Sorry I called you a dick, heat of the moment and all.

6. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

I think it has to do with your own inner feeling of good-sportsmanship.
    Many fans take great pride in their team and will always wish them to win it all.
    Opposing team's fans feel the same way.

When one loses, it is the good-sport winner who says "Good game, you fought the battle well, you lost, we won, it could easily have gone the other way"

Or in my case when I was a die hard Magic fan several years ago, never missed a game when all of them were televised here, and "MY" team made it to the NBA finals against the Houston Rockets, and then the Rockets pounded the best team in the East in four straight............
    I doned the Rocket shirt my friend sent me, put my arm around the full sized cutout of Shaq holding a case of Pepsi that stood constantly in my TV room, and had my picture taken while "graciously" shooting the finger to the camera. All to pay off the bet I had made on the series.
    :D It wasnt easy being a gracious loser.

My Houston friend being the good sport he was said..........
    "Good game, you fought the battle well, you lost, we won, it could easily have gone the other way"

But he was full of **** :D

7. colleyvillesooner

and that person is.....

8. soonerjoker

soonerjoker New Member

Cuban deserves much credit for building the mavs. they are a very good team.

his recent actions have hurt the team. he needs to develop a little class & humility.

JMHO

9. BeetDigger

Agreed that Cuban's time of ownership is coorelated with the improvement of the Mavs, but I think that the guy who really deserves the credit is Donnie Nelson. Cuban deserves credit for making great hires and for committing to listening to his people and committing the money necessary to make the moves.

The hiring of Nelson as coach was a good move to get the team turned around. And just as good a move was bringing in Avery. I don't know if Cuban pushed Nelson aside or how his ouster came about, but how ever it came to pass, it was a great move.

10. colleyvillesooner

Beet, you like numbers:

Ft's attempted by Wade by Series

CHI - 6 games - 48. Avg. 8
    NJ - 5 games - 53. Avg. 10.6
    DET - 6 games - 52. Avg. 8.6
    DAL - 6 games - 97. Avg. 16

You tell me which one is the outlier. Damn near twice as much.

Wade is an amazing player and is the main reason the Heat beat the Mavs. But he had some help :D

11. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

To Nellie's credit, he admitted in March of 2005 that he for whaterver reason, the team seemed to respond better to Avery than they did to Nellie. He had the class and humility to realize what was best for the team instead of being bullheaded.

Once he was assured by Cuban that his contract extension would honored in full, he stepped aside and let Avery take the reins.

As for Cuban, I wish he would behave in the following manner (though like me wish for Stern to step down as commissioner, this is probably a pipe dream).

Keep any and all qualms with the officiating, suspensions, etc. COMPLETELY private. He did not come off good at all after the Jason Terry suspension was announced. He tried to justify Terry's actions by basically throwing a player who for many years was the heart and soul of this basketball team under the bus.

Cuban the marketer is great. But he pretty much has the same problem I do.

He knee-jerks too much and often times, let's the Maverick fan in him speak when he should just keep his trap shut.

In some way, I think that led to their unraveling in this series from that standpoint that Avery stepped out of character to rail against the Stackhouse suspension on Galloway and Company.

That's something you just didn't expect from a head coach who for the entire season preached mental toughness.

12. colleyvillesooner

13. BeetDigger

The non-cynic would say that Wade changed his game and became more agressive. And there might be some merit to that theory. However, it is hard to imagine him NOT being agressive in the previous three series.

I don't believe for a minute that Stern sits there and scripts the outcomes of games. I DO believe that he has a heavy, heavy hand in player movement. I don't think that there is any doubt the exerts influence (at least) in where certain players go, conference and/or team. The networks need marquee players in the big markets and in the eastern conference. That is why I truly believe that Kevin Garnett will move to the east in the near future and why Lebron may go to the Celtics or Knicks in the future. Carmello will also move to a marquee team I would guess.

I can't help but think that everyone, from the refs to the owners to the league officials, understands what is "best" for the league in terms of marketing and thus, revenue. I can't help but think that the refs are aware that the league is marketing certain players. They watch TV too.

The big losers are, if this is indeed happening, the fans. That is why fans need to just view it as the NBA does: entertainment. I don't think that the NBA views is as competition.

14. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

You can tell the NBA has stopped viewing it as competition when the commissioner is telling owners to stop being fans...:mad:

15. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I understand, but like I said I wasnt in here attacking any individual fans or or calling names like some did to me. I was just having a little fun, listen most of us are grown men in here and if you cant take a little razzing without calling names then Im sorry for that, but it was all in fun so if someone wants to get mad and call me a dick thats fine

16. colleyvillesooner

When you make fun of someones team when they lose, it's kicking them when they are down. You don't have to attack individuals to **** people off. When someone tells you OU sucks, it ****es you off right? I mean, it's not a personal attack on you. But it is an attack on the team you invest in, monetarily and emotionally.

17. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And also not to put any offense on SAS or Collier, you guys really haven't been here as long and you haven't been regulars on the SO for a long time so not many people here have a proper guage on your personalities. It's one of the reasons say a Dolemite could get away with saying the things you guys say because A) he would know how to say it and not seem dickish and B) we would say oh that is just silly Dolemite....

18. Collier11

Thats a good point, but if you want to get back at me or I made someone angry cus they didnt realize I was joking then do like someone did earlier on here and make fun of my cardinals or something like that....no reason to make it personal is all im saying. Trust me, im a very tounge in cheek kinda guy so there is no reason to take me very seriously if I am going after another OU fan...now if you are a texass fan or puke state fan then I may have a diff. attitude ;)

19. colleyvillesooner

Ok, I see what you are saying. 99% of the time on here you would get a witty response back. But not right after the Mavs just lost the NBA Finals. What you are failing to see is the timing.

Like I said, if someone told you OU sucked and they were glad they lost the National Championship 15 mins after it happened, would you just laugh it off and come back with a witty repsonse? I doubt it.

20. Collier11

resolution complete ;)