1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBA Board votes 28-2

Discussion in 'OKC Thunder Talk' started by Civicus_Sooner, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Good Lord...Who went and made BRJ start posting essays again?:D

2. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET AGAIN!!!

3. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So, you're taking the David Swank view that Academics and Athletics are mutually exclusive?

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Even if something is 3/4s inakrut it's still worth readin'. The folks in Seattle must be without basketball, for them to come after one of our cities. Someday, when they get a team yanked away from them that they adopted for a few years, they'd understand. When Nawlins comes home cryin' because they dropped the ball and are called too violent, you'd understand. Here's all OKC's done - they built a world class arena, they have good attendance, they voted for their taxes, they're respectful to David Stern. THEY'RE RESPECTFUL... TO THE NBA, and they're a good city. COME AFTER CLAY! He's the owner! He's a billionaire! Where are we at in society today, when we go after a city that does all the right things? That's all I've got to say. White collar Seattle complaining makes me wanna puke.

5. BigRedJed

Sounds like it. I, for one, gravitate to the David Boren view, which saw student enrollments and non-sports donations (plus athletic department donations, obviously) to the university increase sharply after the 2000 football national championship.

I also share Boren's view that the $50 million gift of French Impressionist art (Weitzenhoffer Collection) and the resulting new, multimillion dollar wing added to the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art actually increases the education options and quality of life for all OU students, despite the fact that only a small portion of them are fine arts majors, and despite the fact that non-students are also welcome at the museum.

Plus, it seems like both the success of sports on campus and the building/expansion of public-focused amenities such as the art musem, Sam Noble Museum of Natural History, and the Jimmy Austin University of Oklahoma Golf Course, while not strictly academic in nature, raise awareness of and respect for the university among the public, and increase the chances that bright students from both within and without Oklahoma will choose OU over other schools.

But maybe it's just me.

6. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Nope, it's not just you......

7. BigRedJed

And no, I don't have a "personal stake" in OU's success, either. It's just that it's all a part of the same big picture that will ultimately make Oklahoma more competetive and successful.

8. Ash

Ash New Member

Nope.

Swing and a miss.

9. Cam

Cam Uber Dad

If all you had was a HS diploma, you'd be all over that $15/20/hr gig like white on rice. Oh, don't forget benefits, they push those numbers up quite a bit.

Would I take a $15/20/hr gig today? Nope, wouldn't even think about entertaining it. I also have a couple of college degrees and a fair bit of experience on my side to justify earning more.

If you're going to try and put somebody down, at least be realistic about your arguments.

10. kevpks

kevpks New Member

Dear r5TPsooner,

Posts with an elitist tone and typos are hilarious. That is all.

11. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

So keep them coming. Your ideas on salaries in their relation to education make me feel better about my current situation. :D

12. Mixer!

Mixer! Well-Known Member

Dear God,

Please help the mods, so they'll lock this thing up.

Yours,
    M!

13. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Yeah, this thread's worthless without pics, so unless you want to post pics of you all fighting, time to lock

14. the_ouskull

the_ouskull Well-Known Member

I would have gotten banned for this thread.

:D

So, since homeboy quit spitting up onto his keyboard, is it safe to assume that a shoewhipping came flying in or what?

He's a prime example of someone who can get so lost in their own social "bubble" that everything that's going on outside of it becomes lost in either ignorance or apathy. If $40,000/year isn't a decent salary, then, as a teacher, I feel REALLY badly. If having a professional (major league) team makes Oklahoma City a WORSE play, then I'm going to go ahead and continue to feel really badly.

So, are you a religious nut, or a trust-fund baby? I'm just trying to figure out what manner of life or lifestyle could contribute to such a degree of societal disconnect. ...and from someone who posts on a message board to boot! I thought that these things were like a slice of life all on their own. I'm going to the fridge - anybody else need anything?

the_ouskull