1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixon...4 star

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Soonerjeepman, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

okay, so espn has him as a 4 star and #9 RB...I thought he was a 5* and #1 RB and #9 OVERALL...?

guess since he committed to OU and not an sec school he isn't that great...:jaded:

2. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There are 3 different systems -> Rivals, Insiders, ESPN. ESPN for a long time was done by Tom Lemming who was biased towards East Coast kids (especially ND targets).

3. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

ESPN is the only one of the big 3 that have him rated as a 4 star. Rivals and Scout both have him a 5.

I think Rival has him as the #5 RB, and Scout has him as the #1 overall RB.

Again, there is no exact science to this, but Mixon's rating didn't change after he committed.

4. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

:applouse:Since he's not a 5* on ESPN I wonder if OU should pull the offer?

5. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'd say that's a plus of ESPN undervalues you.

6. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I can understand it: when he didn't commit to an SEC team, he immediately lost about 0.3 seconds in his forty time and his hands became arthritic. It happens that way. The SEC, they have mad powers.

7. oupride

oupride New Member

lol

8. Soonerjeepman

I know I was just being sarcastic... ;-)

9. okiewaker

okiewaker New Member

Whatever Star he is hopefully he pans out. I think he will. I was watching some YouTube videos of him,,,,he sorta reminds me of Reggie Bush.

10. Soonerjeepman

yeah not a big "star" guy, I do look at who else is recruiting the kid...but Mixon def looks good.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. 8timechamps

I read something on ESPN Recruiting Nation last night that leads me to believe they'll add a fifth star to Mixon. I thought that was kind humorous, because at this point, what does it matter?

12. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It probably matters to the players. Seems like McNamara lost a star after the all-star game. I'm sure that didn't make him too happy.

13. 8timechamps

I'm talking about kids that are already committed, especially this close to NSD. I can't understand why ESPN would even bother.

I'm sure the kids would like it (being 18 years old, that's the stuff that's appealing), and I could see a player's interest if it were early in the process, and they hadn't committed, but otherwise, I have no idea why they would bother.

14. ouwasp

ouwasp New Member

Yeah, I bet we all hope for that. I don't get too caught up in recruiting, although it is interesting to see who goes where. But I remember seeing a vid of J Calhoun and thinking the guy looked like another Billy Sims! But he was not.

15. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, higher star values helps the overall rating of the recruiting class, and that could potentially influence other recruits that still haven't signed LOI. Lower values could have the opposite effect on recruiting. Prolly doesn't mean much, but if it helps get one kid we want, then it's important.

16. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It matters to the recruiting services to make the switch, because if they don't, they might look dumb a few years later when we're checking back to see how good of a job they did.

17. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

From what ESPN said, it had more to do with being "final evaluations" post all-star games.

18. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

He sounds like a solid committment, so they can give him 0 stars for all I care. If the kid cares, then HOW DARE THEY TAKE HIS FIFTH STAR, but I assume he doesn't.

They quoted him talking up the past freshmen that got solid playing time. We definitely were blessed the day Demarco and the day Adrian committed, because we'll be able to pitch their successes in college and pro for years :D

and yes, they note that DM7 was a redshirt froshie, not true like AD

19. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Although the redshirt was reported to be due to injury (surprise). Turf toe, as I recall.

20. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I like he says he wants to do work.