1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manziel Going Pro

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Mjcpr, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Skipping his finial 2 seasons at A&M, per ESPN. I don't think anyone is surprised by this.

step....what are the thoughts on him as an NFL QB? I wouldn't think he would translate real well to the NFL but somebody will draft him high and pay him millions of dollars. Plus, I don't know anything about NFL QB's other than being a football watcher/fan so my opinion isn't worth much. He definitely doesn't have the prototypical size or arm strength and I would think those crazy plays he makes in college by buying time and hitting somebody that has wandered wide open will not happen nearly as frequently in the NFL. What are your thoughts on him?

2. winout

winout New Member

I'm thinking more Vince Young than Russell Wilson.

3. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

I think he will get broken in half

4. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm no STEP, but he looks like a poor man's Russell Wilson. Wilson makes great decisions on win to run/not-run and has an extremely strong arm. Manziel would have to become much more disciplined on both running and throwing decisions to succeed at the next level. It's certainly possible for him to make it.

5. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

You could take any quarterback of note and then add a qualifier.
    Russell Wilson, without a good head on his shoulders to make good off-field decisions.

Vince Young, without the national championship (that he single-handedly won for whorn).

Here's one more that comes to mind: Brett Favre, with all of the diva and hero mode theatrics, but without the arm strength and potential longevity.

6. MojoRisen

MojoRisen New Member

Although an Aggie this dude can make all the throws - I think he will be similar to Russell Wilson. But really depends on which team he goes to and how high. If he doesn't have the surrounding cast etc might be a tough transition. No reason to think he wont be a stud in the NFL though based on what he has done.

7. Mjcpr

Isn't he Doug Flutie with less sense?

8. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Or Tim Tebow with less prayer (but both will be drafted in the first round, a decision that both of their drafting teams will regret, followed by the drafting team trading him away and bye bye career shortly after)

9. Mjcpr

Except that he is nothing at all like Tim Tebow.

10. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He throws ten times better than Tebow.

11. Aries

Aries Active Member

Exactly what I was going to say, he's more Vince Young/Tim Tebow than he is Cam Newton/RGIII.

I'll be a little surprised if he does much in the NFL.

12. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

I'm just glad he's gone. His antics tarnish college football.

13. Mjcpr

Yes and he is not a bulldozer. I would definitely take Manziel over Tebow.

14. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

No stunned to anyone that he's gone. I think the issue with him won't be ability as much as staying healthy. He got banged around and hurt in the second half of the season ... esp against Auburn. He'll be going to (most likely) a pretty bad team (Cleveland or Jacksonville) and he may take a pounding. A healthy Johnny is interesting ... and hurt johnny we've seen against LSU and Mizzou.

15. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

I'm sure that some 250lb LBs will be more than willing to welcome him to the nfl with open arms...

16. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's not afraid to throw downfield vs. dinking and dunking the ball. I think that's a positive.

17. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

"Going Pro"?

18. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

The next time we see Manziel a 350 pound NFL defensive pass rusher will be twisting him into a pretzel. Athletic talent aside, which he clearly has, will not compensate for that jumbo size ego and his antics. Divas do not do well in the NFL. Don't let the doorknob hit ya.

19. Mjcpr

Pro-er.

20. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Manziel reminds me more of Fran Tarkington than any other QB I've ever seen. Tarkington didn't have a real strong arm either, but was accurate. But he had that same uncanny pocket presence that allowed him to escape almost any pressure situation and buy time. He was also very smart and protected himself even w/o all the current QB protection rules. Manziel, at the college level, takes too many hits and too many chances with his passes. If he gets better on both accounts, it will be interesting to see if this style QB can succeed in today's NFL. He is very entertaining to watch and the NFL is an entertainment industry.