1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at the practice photos on facebook...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by picasso, Apr 8, 2014.

1. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Jordan Smallwood is big. Looks like we'll have some size at WR.
    Dimitri Flowers and the new guys at the offensive skill positions make things interesting.
    Also, Ahmad Thomas is a physical specimen.

2. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So it's Jordan Bigwood
    Sweet, we have a black dude on the team...last yr I noticed how much bigger and stronger our players have looked in awhile and I assume they will look pretty damn statuesque going into August

3. picasso

Well our smallest receiver the last two seasons was nasty and tough as nails. I'm hoping someone can bring the attitude like Saunders did.
    Still, a lot of guys passing the eye test.

4. PrideMom

PrideMom New Member

The most important thing is CATCHING the ball. Wes Welker has shown you do not have to be big to be a receiver, just smart and in the right spot!

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

From what I've heard:

Jordan Smallwood has been really impressive this spring. He's certainly in the mix to start.

Stoops said (about Dimitri Flowers) "If you put a 33 jersey on him and gave him dreads, you wouldn't know the difference (between he and Millard)". That's a pretty big statement, but he would know.

Ahmad Thomas absolutely looks the part. He's been working at safety, nickle and corner. Mike Stoops said he's very versatile and can play just about anywhere in the backfield.

I thought Thomas was in position to start last year, but I guess he wasn't quite ready. Hatari Byrd is a man-child, and also looks the part. What's crazy is even with the loss of Lynn, we have a logjam at safety with Hayes, Byrd, Thomas and incoming freshman Steven Parker (who I think is ready to play as a freshman). Add Jordan Thomas (the other incoming safety) and we have some real depth there this year.

6. picasso

Well yeah, at the slot. But Welker wasn't a home run threat either.

7. picasso

People are gonna hate me but I still think Rip is a better blocker than Trey was.

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I'm not going to disagree because I'm not sure you're wrong. I'd have to go back and re-watch a lot of games, but it doesn't "feel" like we missed a beat, in the running game, when Rip replaced Trey. Of course Trey was able to do just about everything well, but Rip has certainly stepped up.

9. picasso

I appreciate Millard and judging by his social media he's a great kid. I also know he just killed Texas when given the chance.
    I just noticed that Rip and Brandon Green liked to block and keep grinding it through.
    Good stuff.

10. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, I think one of the under-discussed issues is how we didn't really seem to miss Millard that much. When Jordan Phillips and Corey Nelson got hurt, our defense took a noticeable hit. You can't really say that Millard getting hurt (as much as I like the guy and everything he accomplished) caused our offense to stumble.

11. LakeRat

LakeRat New Member

The other part to that was the development at QB as well as on the offensive line. There were other pieces growing that brought the impact of losing Millard down a little. Where we missed him was short yardage and I think there was an impact there.

12. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

13. picasso

Yeah Sherman Oaks, I know we've been going after taller guys but my point was Smallwood is big as in weight. I'm also anxious to see some of the big frosh wideouts.

14. Mazeppa

MMMMMKAY

15. Mazeppa

Heh

[​IMG]

16. picasso

I always wanted to attend his flying school!