1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Zep nerds

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by picasso, Jan 19, 2013.

1. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've been reading LOTR and the other day I had Zeppelin on Pandora and Ramble On rekindled my interest in Jimmy Page and Aleister Crowley's Bolskine House.

Wow, some interesting stuff on Youtube.

2. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Misty Mountain Hop baby!

Ramble On dude, all the way to Mordor.

3. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Lots of LOTR references in Zep's work.

5-0

4. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

"All of my Love"....not one of my favorite Zep Songs but I do like it. Interesting little tidbit....

With a winding synthesizer solo by Jones, the majestic "All My Love" is one of only two Zeppelin songs not written or co-written by Page. It's Plant's mystical tribute to his son Karac, who died in 1977 at age five. According to a friend, Page "hated 'All My Love,' but because it was about Karac, he couldn't criticize it."

[​IMG]

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

D'yer Mak'er for the win!

Years ago, I bought a CD called Encomium, it's a tribute (cover) to Zepp. Really pretty good.

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, Sheryl Crow does a good job with D'yer Mak'er.

6. picasso

Custard Pie is the song that rocks that effin album.

No comments on Crawley's haunted home on Loch Ness? Pretty interesting and sinister.

7. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I guess that was the house where page was sitting on the ground at the beginning of the movie, The Song Remains The Same. That whole Crowley business bothered me, as I like LZ, but don't go in for that occult stuff at all. Page also own an occult book store in London for awhile I believe.

8. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You have missed a treat if you haven't seen the Celebration Day video ...

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/
    [youtube]PD-MdiUm1_Y[/youtube]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  9. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Only a few free releases...

[youtube]fpigDGf6vXM[/youtube]

10. cleller

Yep, I probably get that. Likely the last time they'll all be on stage together. If so, at least they went out with a bang.

11. picasso

Yeah, Crowley did some especially strange and horrid things in that old house. It's where Page wrote stairway to heaven. But, the house had a long history besides that.
    I'm no occultist either but I find that stuff interesting just the same. I hadn't realized it was on Loch Ness. It's a beautiful place.

12. 8timechamps

Now I'm going to have to dig it up and listen to it. I'll report my findings.

13. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

I was just going to post one of my most asked nerdy Zep trivia questions, that being, "Why is "Gallows Pole" unique?"

(pause for you to answer)

It's the only Led Zeppelin song to use a banjo.

But, as I was listening to it, and reading the lyrics just now, I saw something that I didn't know, and still don't believe what I read.
    You tell me what you think; At the end of the song, who is swinging from the Gallows Pole?
    I really like the song. I've listened to it hundreds of times. What the on line lyrics say, and what I have always heard, are very different though.

14. 8timechamps

****'s swingin' on the Gallows Pole.

No?

15. cleller

16. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

STP and Sheryl Crow were all over the radio with those songs when it came out. Dancing Days is pretty good too. i haven't heard the rest in a while.

on the subject of covers, this is pretty kickass as well:

[​IMG]

cover might not be right word since Jimmy Page was involved though :D

8timechamps likes this.
  17. GDC

GDC New Member

I saw Page and Plant a few years ago. Guess that's the closest I'll ever get to seeing Led Zepp live.

18. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i for some reason didn't jump on going to that show. i really don't know why.

i saw Robert Plant at Cain's in 2005. it was pretty awesome.

19. picasso

That Page and Black Crowes album is some seriously good stuff.

20. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i'm a fan of that black crowes page lp. features so many tunes from III like out on the tiles. for real, not a huge all out fan of the BC's really, but they really learned the songs and jimmy was sober to play his off mostly. drummer plays with some bonzo size sticks.

i've posted this before surely but i drank jimmy page's beer at a crap club in lake tahoe once. he sat in with a lame local cover band and he wasn't great....but he was still jimmy page. rock god. rolled in with a bunch of really young girls. and the riff for communication breakdown is his. and he played it. he left his lite beer from miller on the stage...and i finished it. seemed like the thing to do.