1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just re-watched the k state game

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 5noubus, Sep 30, 2012.

1. 5noubus

5noubus New Member

Has anyone else re- watched after seeing Texas and Osu play? I miss a lot of the replays etc when I'm at the game.

How will OUr defense handle Texas ?

Can OUr poor offense look better against their D?

Here is what I observed so far-

* seems like the k state game was a very slow moving game compared to the bad vs ugly and WV vs baylor games. - because k- state huddles? We seem to do much better when the game keeps moving.

* Landry looks as rattled as he would at an away game.

*Our safety's seem to stand back and watch receivers catch and then tackle.
    Let's intercept it or break it up.

* I was at the concession stand during Landry and bells fumble. My husband always says they screw up when I leave my seat-
    Snacks before games only :)

2. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have watched it 2 times. And my take, differs a little from yours.

Our defense will be just fine vs. Texas. OSU does not have a very good defense this year. Exhibit A: Arizona had the chance to score more than 59 points. Exhibit B: Look at how easy Texas was able to drive down the field late in the game to eventually get the win.

Our poor offense should fare better. But it depends on the play calling and the performance of Landry. Unfortunately our offense goes through Landry. Where we goes, OU goes.

It was a slow moving game. And OU only got 70 snaps on offense. It had a lot to do with clock management from KSU. They did an awesome job of controlling the clock. Something very few teams have been able to do against OU.

Landry looked good at times. He also looked "rattled" at times. If he is confident and comfortable, the offense will shred Texas' defense. OU needs to run against Texas (and all opponents) and stick with it. Not have spurts of 8-10 straight passes.

The safeties are playing to keep everything in front of them. It is better to make the tackle than to go for an INT and miss and they break for a long TD.

IF that is what happens every time you leave your seat....dont leave your seat until it is over! :snowman:

3. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I would have to be masochistic to sit through it again, it was painful enough the first time. I don't think I could watch it twice without blood pressure medication.

4. OUTrumpet

OUTrumpet New Member

KSU stayed in a cover 4 about 75% of the time. This is a VERY simplistic defense. This is designed to take away the deep passing game as you have 4 guys playing deep pass instead of the normal 2, sometimes 3. They switched to a shifted cover 3 (1 guy deep on the side of the field that has fewer guys, 2 guys protecting deep if we have 2-3 receivers on the other side) and would try to push Landry out of the pocket.

I see opposing teams sitting in this defensive alignment unless the playcalling changes. The weaknesses of a cover 4 are short passing routes where you make 1 defender choose which of 2 guys to guard. We ignored this most of the KSU game for some reason and continued to try to beat a dead horse by consistently trying to go deep. We had 2-3 guys that were double covered on deep passes. We would move the ball about 20-30 yards with a few first downs, Heupal would get frustrated and start taking shots -- at that point we would get behind the chains and turn the ball over.

KSU's game plan was simple -- let the clock run on offense, make us go the entire length of the field 5-7 yards at a time, and run the ball at our right defensive end (their left) unless he changed his lineup. They had no respect for him. Could tell that on the first drive. I think it was King.

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Landry made a comment in his interview with the press last Monday. He was asked what he thinks he's doing wrong, and the first thing out of his mouth was "I need to take what the defense gives me". That leads me to believe he watched the film and saw the exact same things you mentioned. Also, sticking to the run game will be important to get this offense rolling again. You run the ball with success, it changes the way teams have to defend us.

6. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I saw the same thing too, but I didn't think we tried to go deep or short. LJ seems to always try to make the 12-18yd throw. Not short enough to be high percentage or beat the rush and not long enough to stretch the field. It looked like there was an outlet in the flat on most passing plays, but he never even looked at them. I don't know if this was an issue with LJ or if that is the way the plays are designed. People talk about OU throwing bunches of smoke screens and flat passes, but that's not happening this season. A pass first team has to have a lot of high percentage stuff to keep the chains moving and wear out the pass rush. I know folks here want to see us go away from a pass first approach, but that ain't happening this year, so if we're going to do, we have to do it effectively.

7. Seamus

Seamus New Member

I deleted it from my DVR with EXTREME prejudice.

Called it a few choice epithets while doing so.

I made that recording feel really, really bad.

8. OUTrumpet

OUTrumpet New Member

He wasn't getting a ton of help from the receivers. Stills specifically. Guy gave up on so many routes. Thought for a second I was watching Malcolm Kelly again.

9. OUTrumpet

OUTrumpet New Member

He wasn't getting a ton of help from the receivers. Stills specifically. Guy gave up on so many routes. Thought for a second I was watching Malcolm Kelly again.

10. SoonerTerry

SoonerTerry Well-Known Member

Depends

11. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

He only gave up after Landry was sacked or turned the ball over again and again.

12. OUTrumpet

OUTrumpet New Member

Eh, I was seeing him slacking on routes in the 1st quarter. He was pretty obviously the backup read on the pick late in the game and he had given up on that route.

Also think Heupal was very stubborn in his playcalling. Landry wasn't just forcing the 12-18 yard throws right into the coverage. Someone was sending the routes there.

We needed a lot of underneath stuff, and neither Heupal or Landry made the adjustments to the gameplan.

13. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

My observations had me wondering why stills was running 5 yd comebacks and Landry was throwing a post. Who is to blame for these mishaps? Why did we abandon the run? I'm looking at heupel and norvel.

14. En_Fuego

En_Fuego New Member

We won this time ?

15. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

OUr team definitely improved in most areas since the UTEP game. If we hadn't improved, KSU would have won in a rout. Here's hoping for another big step up this Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  16. 5noubus

5noubus New Member