1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** just got real!

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Eielson, Feb 3, 2015.

1. graphster

graphster New Member

If we lose, it'll be because we don't get the defense turned around and because we don't develop/recruit a good QB. Doesn't really matter what system you run if the QB isn't executing.

Also, recruiting OL hasn't been the problem at all. And neither has DL. LB has actually been the problematic position in terms of recruiting over the last few seasons.

LOL at your assessment of this offense. This is the offense that TCU ran last year too, and they were on the doorstep of playing for a NC. Oregon and Ohio State both ran spread offenses (different style). Outside of Alabama (who spread it out a lot more this year than they have in the past), who out there is running a traditional pro-style offense?

2. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes.

3. #8soon

#8soon Member

TDTW, I wasn't talking to you. If you want to talk college games then fine.

CT averaged 40 points a game in his first 3 starts, all against Big 12 teams. The bedlam game he started the game 8 for 8. Can you name the last OU QB to accomplish either one? I can.... Bradford. Thomas will avg 60 a game in this new offense. We just need our D to hold em to 59!

4. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I suppose Knight could be the starter, if he improves greatly between now and next season. As for Mayfield, I know he's the popular guy right now (as is always the case when the starter is struggling), but there's no guarantee he's the next great QB. By quitting baseball, CT can use the time to at least stay even with the other QBs in the classroom. If he were to play baseball, he's be way behind those other guys when he rejoins the team.

It's also possible that one (or more) of the football coaches recommended he focus on football. They see a lot more than we do.

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

The problem with that logic is that it's wrong.

The Oregon Ducks want to remind you that they were just in the national title game (second time in 5 years) running that "gimmicky" offense. Sure, you could argue that they didn't win it all, but I would say that a) you have to be in it to lose, and b) they beat Florida State running it and they were in both national title games they lost.

Also, Oregon just finished a 13-2 season running that offense. On the other hand, OU just finished an 8-5 season running a run-heavy offense. I'll take the 13-2 season 10 times out of 10.

OU will never be Texas Tech or Washington State. Contrary to some edge dwellers, OU continues to recruit top 20 classes...something Tech and/or Wazzu can only dream about.

6. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

Sorry, this female believes that CT is the hottest. Yes, we need a poll.

7. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

At 8-5, OU is already as mediocre at Texas Tech and East Carolina. Whether they become as bad as Wazzu...only time will tell. But, we do have the coaching staff to take us there on the offensive side of the ball. Besides Gundy, all from the mediocrity that is the Mumme/Leach coaching tree.

Defensive side is full of the failed "Mike head coach at Arizona" experiment, downfallen Michigan, and 5 loss Notre Dame - a staff full of coaches getting players at big name schools to underachieve as a unit.

Unimpressed.

The losses to Texas will be the nails in the coffin for Stoops. A terrible Texas team, whose QB was shockingly worse than Practice Squad Manziel, almost beat us. Strong already has the defense. A minimal gain at QB will have him on a 2-4 year win streak over Stoops...if the OU Regents don't wake up first.

With Aggy South petering out under Sumlin, Strong will have Texas at the top of recruits in Texas. And, because he isn't afraid to elsewhere to the get the best players, like Mack was, he'll have teams well rounded enough to compete for national titles...while we set passing records and lose 3-5 games a year.

8. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Jesus..... you are truly stupid.....

9. Tear Down This Wall

He might get 60 against Akron and Tulsa. But, they are Akron and Tulsa. Maybe Kansas and Iowa State in conference. No one really cares. Any offense we use could score in droves against those four. No one cares.

After getting our butts handed to us against Baylor, no one said, "Yeah, well...we hung 59 on Iowa State last week, so...there's no problem. We have an offense that can score 59! Look, we scored 52 against Tulsa as well! And, 48 against Louisiana Tech! I mean, who puts up those kinds of numbers against Iowa State, Tulsa, and La Tech! Nobody else! We rule!"

Get real. Stoops has chosen mediocrity because he's lost all context about where he is coaching. He now coaches down to the level that the Big 12 has sunken over the past decade, just as Mack Brown did. And, he'll continue to pay for it with 3-5 loss seasons. The only questions remaining now are, how long will the Regents let it slide, and will they just give Stoop the ax or completely clean house from top to bottom the way Texas finally did.

10. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You haven't predicted the most important outcome: which of our 4 QBs will top the who is hottest pole?

11. Tear Down This Wall

That's up to Katy Perry, the few women who post, and the fags. The QB could look like Rumpelstiltskin for all I care, as long as he can complete a ball farther than four yard laterally.

12. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

I hope none of them are topping anybody's pole. We don't need that kind of unwanted attention from the media. Just look at Michael Sam as an example.

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  13. BoulderSooner79

Oh come on. You can vote as long as you include a no-homo disclaimer. Or maybe you can say "I think QB XXX is hottest - in a manly, viking sort of way". You know you wanna vote.

14. Tear Down This Wall

I am stupid enough to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Oklahoma State? Or, to lose by 34 with a month to prepare for a bowl game?

Am I stupid enough to hire another Leach coordinator to throw 60 passes a game when I have one of the best running backs in the game?

No, I don't think so. Only post-2008 Bob Stoops is that kind of stupid. I don't know who neutered Stoops after 2008, but the balls are definitely gone. He's got the mid-major offense and defense...and 8-5 records that go along with it...to prove it.

15. Eielson

You're sounding kinda homophobic. You know what they say about homophobes....

16. #8soon

#8soon Member

Man! Step back from the ledge. The topic of this thread was how CT's decision to go all in on football was going to impact the qb competition. I suspect he got enough positive feedback that he has a good chance to play at the next level. TK has had 2 years to prove himself, Baker proved to be a human turnover machine and Justice aint anywhere near ready. The coaches need to go all in on CT and give him a shot at being the guy to start the season rather than inheriting a dumpster fire where everyone is playing for pride

Why don't you start a thread "Bob Stoops is done" and you can post all your gloom n doom there

17. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You know where he works. Just go right on down there and tell the SOB he's got no balls.
    Unless of course, you don't have the balls for it.

18. Pride1Mom

Pride1Mom Member

He should stay with baseball. You can have a longer career in it. And you don't get your head bashed in.

19. Eielson

Longer career? Peyton Manning is almost 40. The NFL takes care of their QB's much better than the MLB takes care of their pitchers.

20. BoulderSooner79

At this stage of his young career, he has to decide in which sport he is most likely to make it the pros. The odds are against him either way, but looks like he has made his choice.