1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Julio Jones?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Desert Sapper, Oct 9, 2007.

1. soonerlaw

soonerlaw New Member

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080123/NEWS/215197538/1090

Julio has left the building
    A week ago, the Gators were feeling pretty good about their chances of landing Julio Jones, the nation's No. 1 wide receiver prospect from Foley, Ala. But the positive vibes quickly disappeared on his visit to Gainesville this past weekend.

Things were going so badly that the UF coaches told Jones to leave early.

Word is that Jones was trying to do some recruiting for Oklahoma during his stay in Gainesville. Jones visits Oklahoma this weekend, a good indication that maybe he's going to be a Sooner. Alabama has been considered the leader for Jones for quite some time, but it appears Bobby Stoops is going to pull this coveted prospect out of the state.

2. primetime43

primetime43 New Member

It almost sounds too good to be true.

3. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

I like the sound of that...gotta like players that help recruit!

4. BillyBall

BillyBall Well-Known Member

This would be so unreal to go into Bama and get their best player... Awesome.

5. Theskipster

Theskipster New Member

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/01/gainesville_sun_reporter_we_we.html

Well, this has been an interesting morning. It started with that article in the Gainesville Sun reporting on Julio Jones being asked to leave Florida early on his recruiting visit. It stated he had been recruiting for Oklahoma. (Cue pandemonium.)
    Yikes!

Yet two phone calls later, I'm told that none of it is true. First, I called Todd Watson, Julio's high school coach at Foley.

"Ridiculous. Never happened," Watson told me. Watson recently spoke with Florida receivers coach Billy Gonzalez -- who is recruiting Julio -- and was told "everything went well."

Ok, then. Next, I called the reporter Robbie Andreu, a longtime UF beat reporter for the Gainesville Sun. Turns out, Robbie agreed with Watson's assessment:

"I was wrong, we were wrong," Andreu just told me. "My source turned out to be not right."

Andreu said he has since spoken with someone else at UF who informed him Julio did not leave early. "And he was not recruiting for Oklahoma," Robbie said.

6. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And if it sounds too good to be true ....

7. starrca23

starrca23 New Member

He didn't have a great visit at OU or UF, seems like he is still Bama's to lose.

8. Youngsooner

Youngsooner New Member

Has he already been to OU?

9. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

He had a bad visit at OU in the future? Jones visits this weekend. He's also paid his own way on an unofficial.

10. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

man, he is fassstttt!

freshchris05 likes this.
  11. BillyBall

BillyBall Well-Known Member

I think you mean FSU or UF.

12. starrca23

starrca23 New Member

Sorry, Every time I think of FSU I think of 13-2...still, seems like he is still Bama's to loose...

13. jccouger

jccouger Member

Darn, that would have been good news. Oh well, we are still in the running for him. Probably 2nd right now behind Bama, but I'm just talking out of my *** so don't take anything what I have to say worth anything.

14. Desert Sapper

Desert Sapper New Member

If Julio passes up on the opportunity to catch passes from Sam (standing behind a fully Senior Soonerlayas Mountain range), that'd be his own fault.

15. Rhino

Rhino Awesoministrator

Which of his handful of unofficial visits to OU did he not have a great visit at?

And like others have said, he hasn't had his official visit yet.

16. CapstoneGrad06

CapstoneGrad06 New Member

How do you guys feel about two 'Bama committments joining Julio in Norman?

17. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

My interpretation would be good for you guys and not so much for us.... with the caveat that those verbals are very solid, and not soft. But, you never can tell what's in a kid's heart or what's on his mind untill he gives you full disclosure... and even then sometimes not.

I've always thought it would be pretty monumental upset to get the young man out of Alabama or the SEC.

But at this point I think both our schools have put together monster classes as it is. Losing Julio isn't going to break either one of us. He would just be.... the capstone, shall we say. ;)

18. CapstoneGrad06

CapstoneGrad06 New Member

The thing is, no one has been able to really read Julio all year long. If he doesn't end up at Alabama it won't be the end of the world, but I sure will be a little sad on signing day. I think most 'Bama fans, like myself, want Julio really bad, not just because he's one of best in the country, but because he's from south Alabama, where we have slipped in recent years in terms of recruiting. We've completely dominated there this year, but losing Julio would be too much for most of us. But if he chooses OU, he'll have a great career anyway. Plus, he'll be wearing Crimson one way or the other.

19. OU-HSV

OU-HSV SoonerFans.com Elite Member

come on Julio

20. KingDavid

KingDavid Well-Known Member

True. I like that. Come on, Julio.