1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Julian Wilson

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by lexsooner, May 15, 2011.

1. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

I noticed he is moving up the depth chart at CB as a redshirt freshman. He has the size and incredible speed to be a lockdown corner. Does anyone know if he is expected to get significant playing time this upcoming season?

saucysoonergal likes this.
  2. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

Yeah, let me just text Bob Stoops and ask him. Just Kidding :D

3. Memtig14

Memtig14 New Member

Don't worry about it........

.........Bob says it is looking good.

4. Rocko

Rocko New Member

He's 6' 2"? Dang

5. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

Yup, and he runs a 10.2 100 meters and was one of the fastest high schoolers in his class in the whole country. His bio mentions he won the "Lockdown" award for best db at some high school all american camp. Nothing against our other excellent dbs, but these kind of physical attributes make me take notice.

Quite frankly, we have so much young talent that even a stud like Wilson can get overlooked by fans. I just happened to come across his name on the depth chart and looked him up and was impressed.

saucysoonergal likes this.
  6. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

This is a good thing I think. :D

7. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

That, and he's from Oklahoma, so he's got that going for him as well.

8. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Anytime I hear good things about young DT's or DB's, I am happy.

9. BOOMERBRADLEY

BOOMERBRADLEY Well-Known Member

He was recruited by SEC schools so if he's fast enough for them he's fast enough for us

I heard it was more like 9.6 100 though...He backpedaled through the finish

JLEW1818 likes this.
  10. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

Ok, this wont be well received. But coming straight from someone who was there everyday last fall. "He is soft". "At this point, he will never play".

Im betting on that. You guys can whine and complain and talk about twitter, but my bet is on he will never play significant minutes.

11. Seamus

Seamus New Member

Why would you bet that a Sooner player will never improve and, ultimately, fail?

12. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

How does someone who is "soft" even stay on the roster?

13. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

Because this is the real world and this kinds of things happen. Sorry to shock you. Im sharing private information, if you dont like it, ignore me.

Your really asking this of a team that once had 4 kickers? You cant just cut a kid from scholarship.

He is a good kid, It's just the person who evaluated him told me that he was "soft".

14. OK2U

OK2U New Member

How long before he's moved to right tackle?

oudavid1 likes this.
  15. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

Actually you can cut kids from scholarships...just not during that academic school year...scholarships are only a 1 year guaranty.

16. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

Maybe he should change his name to Rocky.

17. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

I understand. And my point was based off of a first year evaluation. I hope this kid succeeds, but the evidence points to the contrary. Im sure Oklahoma will not give up on him. But first impressions were less than pleasing the way I understand it.

18. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Okay David...

I love the info you provide...but Ill say this much...

He may be soft...and he may not see much playing time this year. But do not take that as he is so soft that he cannot improve and become a leading DB on the team. For crying out loud he is just a freshman.

It is kind of unfair for whomever to tell you that he was soft to say such a thing....and if that person really knows what the condition is, to say that to you is a little unprofessional of that person.

I would suspect that he will get some playing time when he gets more comfortable with the entire situation that he is in. If he doesnt, then he just wasnt able to mold into his potential.

oudavid1 likes this.
  19. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

This thread will be brought up in four years. Either he never gets off the bench and David will say "I told ya so" or he turns it around and becomes a contributor, and someone else will say "I told ya so".

I don't get the criticism of David in this thread. He's not attacking the kid. Only telling what someone, who apparently knows how to judge football players (unlike almost everyone else here) told him about this. He didn't say he could never improve or become a good player, just what the feeling of him right now is.

oudavid1 likes this.
  20. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

1. Who is criticizing?
    2. How do you know who is informant is? I highly doubt it is a coach. Most of his info seems to come from players.
    3. How do you know anyone here cannot judge football players or talent when they see it?

You want to jump the gun in your post...much like the person that gave David his intell.

Could Wilson never see the field or play? Yeah...but he could also end up being the great DB in OU history. Kind of early to tell since he is only a freshman.

And as that goes, so it does for every player that goes onto a higher division of play. You never know which ones will succeed and which ones will fail.

oudavid1 likes this.