1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Mixon rumor.....?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by JLEW1818, Jul 25, 2014.

1. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Wow, Mashburn may have dug himself a deeper hole there by explaining it so much. I know what he's saying, but that is an old school way of thinking. We are brought up and told not to hit women as something that stems from the days when men treated women like property and slapped them around for the dumbest of things. We have to be able to differentiate between that and a girl talking a lot of s*** and getting physical with a guy. I don't care that he is physically larger (a factor also influential in the charging document). If anything, that just makes her the dumber person in the situation. Some people may have all the discipline in the world to not react, but reacting should not necessarily result in criminality. Although he won't, the very notion that he could go to jail for a year because he met force with force is absurd.

Doesn't Oklahoma have a stand your ground law? I'm curious if it could be applied here.

2. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Could be. I'm just saying with a plea, he's done with the court stuff on Monday and with a trial, it could be a while. So I'm just talking about getting back to football the quickest. Maybe misdemeanor are handled quickly, I just don't know the details of the legal system.

3. BoulderSooner79

Or maybe Mashburn is just a very sly OU football fan. He already morphed the police report from a felony to a misdemeanor and maybe his comments are intended to allow the judge to dismiss the case.

(Or maybe I'm typing this the get any horn lurkers riled up)

4. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

You give him too much credit - he's first and foremost a politician. He'd sell anyone down the river if it made him and OU look better. Even if it's not the right thing to do.

5. Curly Bill

Overdramatize much? Maybe less caffeine and television legal dramas?

But yeah, we wouldn't want ol David to have to make any tough choices, or have any backbone in supporting anyone we talked into attending school at OU in the first place. Lets just go with what's easy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You're giving too much credit to hyperbole.

7. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

Or it could be that you don't give him enough credit...

8. Sooner91ATL

Sooner91ATL New Member

Mixon should not have hit a girl, period. He made a mistake, and he will not win in the court of public opinion on this one. He will likely settle out or if it goes to court, be found guilty according to video evidence which convinced the DA to file charges. Even if I am wrong about all of this, I think Mixon will be suspended by Stoops for some amount of games and will end up redshirting this year. And the girl can still file her civil charges I think.

He will be notified by other coaches and those close to him that advise him and have a stake in his professional football career that OU has a history of playing several backs, and now there are 3 backs in front of him that will have one year of playing experience and 2-3 years left to play. Mixon's choice will then be to redshirt, stay at OU under a cloud of accusation and fight his way into the lineup starting next year in spring ball, or he can transfer, hope to get a release from OU and move to another place to play after a year. not easy choices. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Personally I think he will go and get a fresh start elsewhere where he can start a new narrative. It is fun to speculate and I may be wrong. But we have three quality young backs on board now who are practicing and will be our go to guys moving forward. I think we will be adequate with them. Even if he started practicing today, Mixon wouldn't be useful for quite some time as he would get few reps.

9. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah this has made for yet another interesting off-season but now it's almost game time and it'll be nice to get info on the guys thatll start the season.

10. Curly Bill

...or it could be that he'll turn into a shark and swim away.

Wow cool, lets play more 12 yr old word games.

11. Curly Bill

In the geriatric crowd who might still believe in chivalry, even when it's not deserved maybe so. In the younger crowd, a little more likely to believe in some level of equality, I'm not at all sure this is true. The general consensus I actually get on it, and this is a more middle-aged to youngish crowd, is that he should have knocked her damn head off.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  12. Sooner91ATL

Sooner91ATL New Member

Interesting Bill. Yet he did knock her damn head off and it is going to likely cost him a year of eligibility and follow him for the rest of his career. Public opinions aside, this is the reality. Despite their stellar OU and pro careers, many mentions of Broyles includes "gas station" and Dvoracek with "anger issues" - and these are redeemed Sooners with lots of love from everyone. Whether or not his punch was justified (I am 47 and I think he easily could have just walked away), I guess people can debate. But the impact of that punch will be felt by him and his family for a long time. I was 17 once and had my share of scuffles, one at O'Connel's on game day with some drunk frat rat in fact. Alcohol and being a young dumb kid were the two biggest factors in my actions. I learned from that time period and I am sure Mixon will as well. A shame this had to happen.

13. Curly Bill

I'd suggest you're overstating the impact a misdemeanor, that's likely to be overturned anyway, will have on someone's career. I seem to recall Ray Lewis having a pretty decent career despite being in a little bit of trouble himself. I seem to recall that QB up in Pittsburgh is still doing okay despite his troubles. Michael Vick is still playing some decent football. There will be no long-term impact of this on Mixon's possible career in football. The only question is will he get to start that career at OU or somewhere else, and that is largely dependent on the politician heading the university.

14. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

I wouldn't use Michael Vick as an example. He was a guy who had all the skills to be one of the all time greats yet spent the prime of his career in prison. When it's all said and done it will be clear that his career was severely stunted by his legal problems, and that's not to mention the harm done to his reputation.

15. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I am interested to see what happens in the next few days as the administration plots their strategy. My guess is if they deal Mixon more than a two game suspension he will mark it up to a redshirt year, pack his bags and head out to one of any number of teams that will be more than happy to welcome him.

16. Curly Bill

That's a fair point, though I don't know that he was on his way to becoming an all-time great? I think he ran, and still runs too much and would have been hurt too often. But....he has been paid well for his efforts - despite for a time being quite the pariah, and in many people's eyes still is.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  17. Curly Bill

I hope you're wrong, but I totally agree. I said earlier I think the next football uniform we see him in is a USC uniform.

...and we can say he's just one player, we have other backs, we're OU, we'll go on, and all those things we as OU fans say, and with some justification, but not giving this kid what he and some may feel is the proper support is not going to help our recruiting efforts - especially out in Cali, where we're trying to make a big splash again this year.

18. BoulderSooner79

You seem to be assuming Mixon will not get proper support from the school before anything has happened. What would you consider proper support?

19. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

My apologies, I didn't realize you were sick...

20. manateepower

manateepower Member

If Ray Lewis can go on to be a future HOF and work for ESPN after covering up a murder, then I think we should all be lenient on a guy charged with "disturbing the peace."