1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Danika Patrick the Anna Kournikova of Indy car racing?

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by Okla-homey, May 28, 2006.

1. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

IOW, hawt...but unable to win?

2. OzarkSooner

OzarkSooner New Member

She's kinda' semi-hot, but, I get the impression that she might be the kind that would pass gass and belch a lot to fit in with da' boyz...She's still young to put in that category as far as racing is considered.

3. MiccoMacey

MiccoMacey Well-Known Member

She's won, but just not at Indy.

I'd be hard pressed to find any tournament victories AK ever won. Anna was just fun to look at.

Heh. I said hard-pressed. :D

4. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well Anna won some doubles tournaments...granted for most of that time her partner was Martina Hingis...but still.

I'd compare Patrick to Michelle Wie in terms of winning...gets close at times and has a lot of hype.

5. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Do you guys share my impression that if she were decidedly "un-hawt" no one would be making a fuss over her, notwithstanding breaking down the racing "gender-barrier" and all that fem stuff.

Oh, I almost forgot. She called down lightening from the Car Racing Olympus in the lead-up to the race. Richard Petty was quoted this week as saying words to the effect, "She's cute and all but racing is no place for girls." To which Patrick retorted thru reporters "Who is Richard Petty?" I reckon that was good for major bad mojo from NASCAR types all over the country.

6. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yeah what she said is out of context in your post :)

7. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well comparing a Top 10 driver with Anna seems a little rough

8. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Anna broke the top 10 in singles at one time, and was part of the #1 doubles team.

9. SoonerInKCMO

SoonerInKCMO SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Including other top-level racing circuits, Patrick is nowhere near top 10. Kournikova was in fact ranked in the top 10 for parts of her career.

10. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I agree. ;)

11. SoonerInKCMO

SoonerInKCMO SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Heh. I was too slow with my typing.

12. VeeJay

VeeJay SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think what Richard was probably referring to was the ability to crawl under a car with a wrench and adjust something. You don't see drivers doing that any more - especially in Indy.

He's also probably referring to the ability to defend oneself when a bumping incident occurs and an Allison is coming after you with an Alabama ***-kickin' posse.

Of course, an "incident" in Indy at speeds of 220 mph means disintegrating fiberglass, methanol fires and instant death, so maybe he gets a pass on the way it used to be.

13. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

AK was losing to girls though, DP is competing against guys

14. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

15. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

Enjoy your vacation.

16. Gandalf_The_Grey

I am just saying that for most of her career, Anna has been considered a joke. Danica races with one of the best teams, and she is competitive with the Castroneves, Hornish's, and other Top 10 drivers and to think she is still very inexperienced bodes well that better times are before her. The last 2 Indy 500's I have thought the whole race that Danica could have possibly pulled it out, I can't ever remember thinking, Anna has this tournament by the balls. The Suns dancers are effin hott btw ;)

17. Ike

Ike party pooper

The thing that seperates Danica from AK, IMHO, is that she seems to be much more focused on her sport and considers the money she makes from endorsments to be gravy. Once AK got high enough in tennis to garner international attention, she seemed to not care so much about tennis....

18. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We probably shouldn't use acronyms on this one.

Just sayin'. :D

19. royalfan5

royalfan5 Superbia in Proelio

I'll car about Danica Patrick when she steps in up and tries to run the week in/week out grind that is NASCAR, instead of the once month IRL races with small fields and no talent pipeline.

20. Gandalf_The_Grey

comparing NASCAR ot IRL is like comparing apples and oranges. IRL is more dangerous, they travel faster. The IRL obviously have more knowledge of road type and drafting type courses. Look at the IRL alumns in NASCAR...Stewart, Gordon, Andretti, etc. They all tend to have better skills at road courses and they tend to draft well. NASCAR is a huge grind, but it probably isn't as hard as you think....i mean look at Schrader, Stewart, Gordon...it almost seems like they are racing somewhere every nite of the week. Also, I think that NASCAR would give their right and left testicle if they could get Danica with a good team like Roush or Hendricks....