1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If push comes to stab: Wilson or Heupel?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by oudavid1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This coming from the same person defending KW and Chuck "third and" Long.

2. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ive got facts and stats to back me up, what do you got. I mean we are talking about the two O-coordinators who ran two of the highest powered offenses in OU history, one of them being the highest powered offense in NCAA history, right?

Based on your past arguments youve got nothing, this will be interesting.

Ah, lets take a little deeper look real quick though at the two biggest criticisms of KW and Chuck

The Sugar Bowl, many say that if we keep running the ball we win and Chuck screwed it up. Well, that may be true but I also know that the 3rd down pass to Clayton was just barely tipped and even with that, he still almost caught it to tie up the game. The 4th down play was as perfect of a call as you could possibly have and Jason overthrew it.

Against Florida people like you gripe about the goalline calls to Chris Brown. Well, on two of those plays we have a guy flat out miss a block or we walk into the endzone.

So clueless people like you gripe that the plays didnt work when in reality they did, our players just didnt execute them

These are the same people who gripe about the hook n ladder against Boise, well BV had the perfect D called and our guy left his lane which allowed the long play.

Let me give you a tip, before you post anymore on this board, especially about sports, try knowing what you are talking about, it will help your cause

When you dont bring facts to the table and just want to argue, you are just another Leroy

3. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Whoa! What was that all about?

4. Collier11

you been griping about me calling you out in a thread that was a joke so I figured id call you out for real to make you feel better :D

5. Leroy Lizard

Sounds good.

So should I now take an anti-KW stance? I was on your side, but I can switch arguments at the drop of a hat.

6. Collier11

I know you can, its well documented

7. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

this got heated

8. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

I thought KW was a great OC until BYU. I couldn't believe some of the plays that were called in the first half of that game... I swear he took BYU too lightly. I can count on players doing that from time to time but from a coach, that's inexcusable. The rest of the season had more to do with being hamstrung with injuries though.

That said, KW for now. I don't know that Josh is better and I think the odds of finding a better OC out there as being less than 50/50.

p.s. Most of the big game problems we've had the last few years, coaching wise that is, has been more of the type of things that head coaches have the control of during the game. But I'm not calling for Stoops's head either.

9. Eielson

Wow Collier, did I strike a nerve? I see that you're ready for an argument, but unfortunately I can't argue with somebody who doesn't even understand that the success of an offense isn't all about the offensive coordinator. This isn't Madden. The players on a team are really important, and in fact, more important than the coaching. Seeing how you used Chuck Long coaching Heisman finalists to support how great you think he was, you apparently think Chuck Long made Adrian Peterson and Jason White great. That's wrong and all I can do is laugh. I can't even bother to argue.

Great job with the stats, though. You just "proved" that Long and KW are better than Leach and Mangino. That just shows you how misleading your stats really are. Just compare how Mangino did at Kansas to what Long did at San Diego State. I would say compare Leach and KW, but as you can see, nobody wants KW.

This made my day. Have you even played a down of real football? I'd honestly be surprised if you did anything other than play Madden. Anyway, you can go on with your childish insults, but I'd like you to see what others think of you. Take into consideration that this was a real conversation (probably why you weren't in it) where people actually discussed things and didn't just tell the other people how dumb they were for not believing them.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142388

You can go back to playing Madden now.

10. Leroy Lizard

It is all about the OC after a loss.

But not after a win.

This is why KW's offense can set an NCAA record for scoring (and scoring is what an OC is all about) but get blamed for the one game in which the offense comes up short. KW is a crappy OC because OU didn't blow out every opponent it faced.

"Yeah, KW is great in gimme games [defined as any game OU wins] but he can't handle adversity [defined as any game OU loses]."

My personal favorite: "Have you noticed that KW's offenses struggle against great teams?"

Like no ****?

11. gaylordfan1

gaylordfan1 New Member

I think Norvell is next in line. Just sayin. I personally hope KW stays put.... Josh has a bright future. He knows it takes time to get into that kind of job. He is great with our QB's. I will let him do his job without throwing this distraction into his ear.

12. Collier11

Ah, the internet tough guy claims, I can say with pretty safe confidence that I am twice the athlete that you ever were and while im not going to sit here on a message board and claim all of my merits, id be happy to show them to you someday. Just let me know

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  13. Collier11

Oh, and every conversation that comes up I discuss with both facts and honest opinion, I dont run around like yourself trying to get a rise out of people and acting like im the smartest person in the room. I spent forever debating player vs player in other threads, I felt no need to jump into another one, such as the link that you posted

Hell, I even admit when im wrong which is more than I can ever say for you

14. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Along those lines, there's one universal truth I've learned over my 30+ years of following OU:

The 2 most popular people on the team are A) a struggling starter's backup, & B) a first year offensive coordinator who has any semblance of success.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

15. Collier11

Why do you make it so easy to disagree with you in every other thread and then you have to go and give me 1 reason every cpl of weeks to be back on your side? :D

16. Collier11

This thread exemplifies the soonerfans persona that is Eielson...keep throwing sh*t against the wall, hoping something sticks. Instead of rambling on with your less than intelligent opinions, why dont you give us something substantial? If you cant just STFU

17. Eielson

18. Leroy Lizard

The logic in these statements is just baffling.

The job of the offensive coordinator is to establish an offense that scores. Not win, but score. Not put up more yardage, but score. Not to win as a head coach at some point in the future, but score. Not to call plays that agrees with Eielson, but score.

And OU scored under KW more than any team in NCAA history.

Yes, it was a talented team. But it was not the most talented team in NCAA history. Not by a long shot. But it scored more than any team in NCAA history.

If that doesn't prove his worth, nothing will. What more can one do?

19. Collier11

Cmon now Leroy, that isnt fair, Eielson did medal in a middle school track meet, this guy knows his sports

20. Eielson

So what you're trying to say is that despite the offensive knowledge required to be a good OC, once he becomes a HC, none of that matters? I don't even care about winning. I guarantee you that Leach's teams scored more points than Long's, and I don't even feel the need to look that up.

As for that offense not being the most talented offense in NCAA history by a long shot...who are these offenses that are way better? Sam's about to have the richest contract in the NFL history before he even steps foot on an NFL practice field. Trent Williams was a top 5 pick. Loadholt started for the Vikings as a rookie. Gresham was the best TE in the country. Iggy and Johnson were two of the best receivers in the conference, and a young, talented Broyles would eventually become one of the best WR's in the country. Brown and Murray both rushed for over a thousand yards. What else could an OC want?