1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Bell started from here, how many games would we win?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by possumfat, Sep 23, 2012.

1. possumfat

possumfat New Member

I'm going to say as many or more than if Landry continues to be the starter. The leadership and toughness of Bell would be such a nice change even if we lose the game as a starter. I'm so ready for the Jones era to be completed....................he had his chance.

From wha I recall Bell was mainly recruited based on his passing ability......................SHOW ME! I'm not from Missouri either.

SCOUT likes this.
  2. cherokeebrewer

cherokeebrewer New Member

This is what you call a moot question...

3. trwxxa

trwxxa New Member

With as little as Bell has played, it would all be speculative.

4. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

You recall wrong. He was exceedingly unpolished, particularly in his passing. He was taken because his upside was out of this world and they were hoping they could teach him to pass.

8timechamps likes this.
  5. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

First time starter, less than with Jones in as starter.

6. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

With the way Landry likes to dance around in the pocket, an injury may force Bell into action. He got to pass a bit against FAMU and looked raw but had a rocket for an arm. He had one pass to Shepard that looked like a Dr. Evil laser.

7. landrun

landrun Well-Known Member

Leadership? What leadership? That fact that he gets all excited after a 1 yard touchdown run up the middle isn't leadership.

This guy just dropped the ball at the one, untouched, and everyone wants to talk about LJ's fumble after he was hit from behind while scrambling during a play.
    I can take LJ's fumble, Bells is totally unacceptable and you want to declare this guy a leader? Based on what?

Oh... and have you seen him throw? LJ's arm is much stronger and the only meaningful pass Bell has thrown since he's been at OU was an INT.

I'm not trying to bash Bell. I expect him to be our qb next year. But to say he is a 'leader' because he's more outwardly emotional than LJ is nonsense.

8timechamps likes this.
  8. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I think the record would be the same with either LJ or Bell starting. Bell is unpolished and inexperienced, LJ is a giant spaz. That being said I'd rather have the inexperienced guy.

TUSooner likes this.
  9. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I'm leaning toward using this year to build for the future. At the very least, get Bell some serious playing time when the game is on the line, and not just as the Belldozer. Let him take his lumps when we are already pretty sure the season isn't going to be for championships.

10. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Then the sooner he gets out there and becomes a leader the better off we will be. This team as it is is not going anywhere this year. It might as well be a learning process for the future. Landry Jones is not ever going to be anything different than what we see. As a 5th year senior if he hasn't got it by now he won't. We watched it last night. For all the bad PR the OL has received Landry Jones wasn't under heavy duress for the most part last night. He just got average O line play. You can see the results. Given enough time Jones can throw some rockets and pile up the stats but what he is not, is a QB that can put the team on his shoulders when the chips are down and come up with the big play.

It's not just Landry Jones either. If we run the same offense as we do now we will waste a couple of years on Blake Bell too. I can also say I think the chances of anything like this happening are just about zero. Stoops is one of the most stubborn coaches that there is.

11. SoonerLB

SoonerLB New Member

No doubt Stoops is stubborn, almost to a flaw. Bell was a pretty fair HS passer, he just has not had much of a chance to play other than this Belldozer package, and we all know things get tougher around the goal line. Bell's greatest advantage is that he is not afraid to run the ball or take a hit, neither of which Landry has any will to do.
    But no matter who is back there, something has to be done about the offense we run, the players need to be focused on the field, not staring at the sideline!

12. GreenSooner

GreenSooner Active Member

This.

The single least excusable and most devastating play last night was Bell's fumble. He's had virtually no in-game experience outside the Bell Dozer. I can't believe people see him as the answer.

13. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Do you see Landry Jones as the answer?

14. GreenSooner

GreenSooner Active Member

Clearly not. But he's not the only problem on this team, by a long shot. And last night, Bell, who took many fewer snaps, arguably did more damage than Jones did.

15. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

IMO, the two of them made two different kinds of mistakes last night. Landry's mistakes where "scared ****less" type of mistakes, and Bell's mistake was a "too eager" mistake. Given the psychological/emotional makeup of this team, we need the second kind.

If Landry can't start playing like a fifth-year senior, he isn't doing anyone any good. He's hurting his draft status, and he's delaying the development of the next quarterback at OU. I'd much rather see Landry step up, but I'm running out of optimism there.

8timechamps likes this.
  16. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

Would someone please teach Landry Jones how to step up in the pocket instead of trying to run backwards? I very much doubt there is anyone on the roster currently that at this stage in their development can pass the ball as well as Landry can, but I'm also sure they can stare down receivers and over throw them and then run for their lives as much as Landry can. I can handle a freshman or sophomore making those mistakes but a 5th year senior making freshman mistakes is unacceptable. I'm also not calling for Bell cause I don't think he is ready either. I just think Landry Jones is like Tony Romo, they both put up good #'s but neither of them are winners.

I'm usually one of the guys that jumps all over the coaches after a loss. Last night was on the offensive players mistakes. rephrase, last night was on the 2 QB's mistakes. Do I think Josh is ready to be OC? Nope. Do I think Bob Stoops has lost his edge and accepts losing and only trying to win the big 12 every year? Yep. Am I happy with a team with the prestige that OU has only competing for conference titles and thinking that's acceptable year in and year out? Nope. I think Bob's just an okay coach that had a great start to his career, but has fallen off.

17. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

Probably lose 2 more than if he didn't but it would give him game experience for next year. Bring it on.

18. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

On Bell's mistake, he prevented a Sooner score. On Landry's mistake, he gave KSU score. One is actually worse than the other and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know which is worse. One thing Blake Bell is not is gutless unlike Landry and offenses respond better to those types of QBs. This team has a better chance with the unknowns of Blake Bell than they do with the four year known of Landry Jones. And let's face it, Landry Jones without Broyles is a terrible QB while he was a very good QB with Broyles. The problem is, despite that, the receivers aren't the problem.

Piware likes this.
  19. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So a -10 momentum turnaround is worse than a -7 momentum turnaround? Remember that Bell's flub came the series after Landry's flub. Landry made up for his (for perhaps the 1st time in his entire career).

I think if Bell is your QB you are probably -2 or -3 wins over Landry as your QB. I just don't think our D is going to be in any kind of shape to stop anyone at the end of the year with all of the injuries piling up. Landry gives you the chance to score 40 points, Bell will take so much time off the clock that he is only going to be worth 28 a game.

20. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Landry got sacked and fumbled. Blake's miscue was much much worse.
    Now, Landry missing Moose on the for drive for a TD was what really hurt. Both plays cost us 11 points.