1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will give a $50 gift certificate to anyone

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Sirus, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Sirus

Sirus New Member

that can give me One legit reason to not take a knee on the last 2 plays.

Seriouly, do we need any more unnecessary injuries?

spatton713 likes this.
  2. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The time remaining required burning a few seconds each play in order not to give Stanford the ball back.

3. tooslow

tooslow Active Member

I can tell you why on the first one. There was 1:29 left on the clock when the ball was snapped. After the scramble there was 1:18 on the clock when the play clock reset. Absolutely no damn reason whatsoever to NOT take a knee on the final snap. KW is an idiot.

spatton713 likes this.
  4. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think we should have taken a knee on the last play, but I guess they calculated it out and felt that taking three extra seconds per play wouldn't give Stanford any shot at all.

5. tooslow

tooslow Active Member

Only on the first one. The second snap where Landry was smacked, was at the :39 mark. Again, no reason whatsoever....

6. Sirus

Sirus New Member

BUZZ! try again. There was not enough time left on the final 2 plays to warrant a roll out. Ever heard of a player called a running back?

7. Sooner98

Sooner98 New Member

The third down play was taken with right about 40 seconds left. All that was needed was taking a knee. Instead, Jones runs around with it, takes a hard shot, and risks a fumble that would have been laughed about all over the country for years (maybe decades).

spatton713 likes this.
  8. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That game was only over by 5 seconds. It wasted more time.

9. Sirus

Sirus New Member

I can almost see this type of play calling if the Stanford had any timeouts remaining, but they didn't. My point is that even though the boys fought hard and came out with a close win, Our coaches still chose to play with fire and it got the QB hurt. Once again, unnecessary.

10. Eielson

You said one good reason not to kneel it. Did you want the runningback to kneel it? Anyway that leaves even more chance for injury.

AlbqSooner likes this.
  11. Sirus

Sirus New Member

I wasn't agreeing that the running back should run it. I was merely suggesting if you make the call to run it at all, you don't do it with a non-running QB. You fail.

12. Eielson

Whatever. Just keep changing your argument. You owe some gift certificates.

13. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

But on the plus side, it has endeared Jones to some OU fans, who like the fact he took a hard hit for the team. He seemed to be walking ok afterward, maybe a relieved expression more than anything. I do think if Jones had kneeled each play, Stanford would have had time left on the clock.

14. Blues1

Blues1 New Member

Yes Jones Won my Heart Today....~~~!
    Hell Yes....

15. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Ever hear of a botched exchange between QB and RB leading to a fumble? Fewer therbligs lead to fewer mistakes.

16. Sirus

Sirus New Member

To do what? Receive a sky pooch that reaches the returner just in time for 3 defenders to pile drive him with no more time left?

17. Sirus

Sirus New Member

Ever hear of a QB getting pummeled while trying to scramble and getting the same result?

18. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Ever heard of "Slide down and don't take the hit?"

Ever heard of "We just won the ball game, stop crying for a minute and enjoy it?"

Relax. Landry's OK. Overall, the percentages are better for no fumble on a QB rollout/designed "sack" than it is on an inside handoff. Haven't reviewed what the time left was on the second snap. If it was under 1:30, then yeah, he should have just knelt it out. It ended up working, so no big deal.

19. lloyd45

lloyd45 New Member

this

a fumble was far more likely to occur getting hit from the blind side while scrambling than a handoff to a running back

20. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

In high school, we lost in the playoffs to Wes Welker and his bunch because of a botched handoff in the backfield while we were just running out the clock. So it can happen. I think Landry had time to step back and take the knee though without giving them the ball back.