1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got a question for the Atheists of the Board

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by olevetonahill, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

It's been my personal experience with atheists (your mileage may vary) that they preach atheism harder than a Southern Baptist preacher preaches Revelations.

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I rarely discuss religion, especially on the internet, but there is a question I have for the atheists. I don't want this to turn into a debate, however, if anyone of the non-atheist want to join in, have at it.

If you have no belief in God (or a superior being), what's the point of doing "good" on earth?

I know it seems like bait, but it's really not. I've wondered about this for quiet a while, and am just curious. I believe that I will be held accountable for my actions in the afterlife, so it has certainly molded the way I live. I'm just curious what the other side of the coin looks like.

3. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

i'm not sure this plays into your question - but i cant remember a time when a group of atheists banded together and provided assistance to the hungry, the downtrodden, etc etc

I can rattle off an exponential number of faith based organizations that will gather and help their fellow man in time of need or crisis

that isnt meant to be and "end of discussion" statement....and i do believe that as individuals - atheists do contribute to charity

4. 8timechamps

Absolutely they do. I have several friends that consider themselves atheist, and they are outstanding people, husbands, fathers. I have wanted to pose the same question to them, but it never really came up (and as I mentioned, I rarely discuss religion).

I would guess they are like most people in that they want to lead good lives. My question is what is their thinking for doing so?

5. SoonerLB

SoonerLB New Member

Food for thought: If HE "created" the problem, then why does HE not "create" the fix?

----------

"Wanting to teach creationism in science classes. The earth isn't 6000 years old. Get over it. No amount of shouting that it is will make it so."

--The circular logic of :
    A)"It's in the bible so it must be true"
    B)"How do you know the bible is true?"
    A)"Because it's the word of god"
    B)"How do you know it's the word of god?"
    A)"Because it says so in the bible"

And more food for thought: And let us not forget, the world WAS flat then. ;)

6. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Armageddon?

7. Ike

Ike party pooper

Here in OKC, we have decent sized atheist organization. Primarily it's function is just to serve as a facilitator for people to meet other like minded people. But one of the most well attended functions this group puts on on a very regular basis is a volunteering session at the regional food bank. In fact, because more in the group want to do more of this type of thing, and because it doesn't always jive with peoples schedules, they are exploring more ways to offer community service as a group.

Part of the reasons you don't hear more about things like this are that it's really only been recently that atheists have been encouraged to actually declare their atheism. As such, until recently, there haven't been many atheists banding together for anything. But thats starting to change. It's getting easier than ever before to find and associate with like minded people.

As to the question of "why do good?" Why not? We live in this world and want to see it a better place for everyone. I don't think you need an invisible sky-friend to tell you that you can help make it a better place.

8. 8timechamps

I know that probably seemed like a silly question, but having always believed in my sky friend, I have always been curious of those who don't. Thanks for answering Ike.

9. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

That is what Im talkin about Bro
    Why do you feel the need to belittle some one else s beliefs?
    Im really curious as to why those who DONT believe in a God, seem to always try to ridicule those who do.

10. 8timechamps

Maybe it's in the interpretation vet. Since Ike's been on this board forever, I didn't take it as a jab. I took it as Ike being Ike. Maybe I'm wrong.

11. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have had people ask, "Without God, what is to deter you from murder?" Paraphrasing a bit there... Well, I don't want to murder often, but when I do, the police slow me up some. Then there is my conscience and my own will to avoid conflict. Maybe a little kindheartedness in there.

Atheists are people living in the same communities with largely the same American values as you. I was raised in a Christian household. My folks don't know squat about the Bible. If they did, they may have scratched their heads in wonderment as well.

Just do yourself a favor and read Genesis. It is really, really hard to swallow with a 21st century brain. Talking snakes, pillar of salt, this guy begat that guy, Lott tossing his kids to the people to rape, incest, and so forth. A timeless God should write a timeless book.

And Mama, if there is a God, I would hope that he would extend the same luxury of proof to the rest of us as he did to you. Until then, I don't get it. These guys don't get it either:

http://vimeo.com/15773748

8timechamps likes this.
  12. Ike

Ike party pooper

The problem here, as I see it, is that while you can freely interpret "invisible sky friend" as belittling your belief, I think it's a stretch to interpret it as belittling YOU. If you were a communist and I belittled communism, would you be right in taking that as though I were belittling you? However your original question was about belittling people (or I took it as such). Everyone holds some belief or another that some find ridiculous, for a whole host of reasons. Stating that you find a particular belief to be ridiculous, IMO, says nothing about the holder of those beliefs. Lots of good people hold ridiculous beliefs. It's OK. It's OK to hold such beliefs, and it's OK to call them ridiculous.

13. Ike

Ike party pooper

Sure some do. However I have yet to have an atheist ring my doorbell with pamphlets in hand.

14. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It does seem some folks have/display a hatred or near hatred of Christianity. They get hostile about it here, and often equate Christian persecutions of the Middle Ages to Christian behavior of today, as though some people want to force moral behavior on the masses, as if our laws aren't written for moral people already.

15. jk the sooner fan

[​IMG]

16. jk the sooner fan

so my beliefs are "ridiculous" - and God is an "invisible sky friend"

got it....

SCOUT likes this.
  17. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

I already and totally believed that there was a God long before I was given proof of it. It was because of my unwavering belief that the proof came along at a time I needed comfort. I don't think what happened would have occurred if I had any doubt.

18. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

nothing can explain something out of nothing. There's God. We don't know what makes Him? tick, either. God DOES seem to help those that help themselves, though.

19. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

There is no proof.

There is faith and the brain God gave us all.

I've seen plenty of things that Science can't explain.

I also think it's fine if you want to believe Joel Osteen, Swaggart, Oral Roberts, Buddha, Mohammad, Sam Kinison, Jerry Lewis, Episcopalian Minister, Catholic Priests or a Rabbi....

IMO there is a higher power and as we grow old and have experiences....it becomes even more obvious that we are in need of a direction as we get closer to taking our last breath.

20. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

Or maybe those who help themselves help themselves.

Occam's razor.