1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am tired of playing these important games...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerus, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

...that are essentially home games for our opponent....I was at the game last night in Miami and if anybody says it was anything other than an 80% pro-Florida crowd they weren't there...I thought our guys played well in another very hostile environment.

2. OUMedMan

OUMedMan New Member

Well, let's see. . . . . .

OU vs. Florida State -- in the Orange Bowl. Advantage Florida State.

Oklahoma vs. LSU in the sugar bowl . . . . . yeah, that would essentially be a "home game" for LSU.

Oklahoma vs. USC in the Orange bowl -- 2000 mile trip for the Sooners, but 3000 mile trip for USC. That's about as "neutral" as a site can be.

Oklahoma vs. Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl . . . . .960 miles from OKC to Phoenix, 990 miles from Boise to Phoenix.

OU vs. West Virgina in the Fiesta Bowl --- 1000 miles for OU, 2500 miles for WVU.

OU vs. Florida -- 2000 mile trip for the Sooners, 330 mile trip for the Gators -- advantage Florida.

OU vs. Texas -- about equal distance.

Big 12 Championship Game -- various places.

It appears to me that OU seems to win (Orange Bowl 2000) or lose (about every place else) about the same regardless of the location.

Besides, I'm not sure you're going to get a whole lot of people to trek to Tulsa for the "Boomer Bowl" on January 1.

3. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

Boo-hoo! The other team had fans there! SO NOT FAIR!!

Go cry, emo kid.

4. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

One of the overlooked statistics is the location of bowls with respect to USC and Texas.

The number of bowl games they have played where they were essentially the home team is staggering.

5. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I agree. But at the same time, Texas fans were complaining that their loss to Tech should be discounted because they were playing in Lubbock, and that OU's win over Tech should be discounted because the game was played in Norman. And how many times did we have to hear the "neutral field" crap?

6. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

where do you want to play, buckeye stadium, uco, texas motor speedway?

7. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

The worst part is that the Orange Bowl scattered our fans around the stadium. My daughter and her friends who had our tickets from the University saw as many FL fans as OU fans in their area. They had two friends with tickets from their parents and they were seated right in the middle of the FL contingent. Why weren't the 16,000 OU tickets for the Orange Bowl in the area of the band? Wonder where they would have been if our opponent was say Penn State?

8. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

**** florida...**** tebow....****

9. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

When we played LSU, I was in that toilet bowl and it sucked as well. But hey, the way it is set up the SEC gets to host two of them and the PAC 10 gets the other two. F em all, Boomer Sooner!

10. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

I'd prefer uco.

11. Soonerus

I am talking about National Championship games and we have been screwed 3 out of 4 times recently, albeit we overcame it against FSU...If you are at the game it makes a big difference on multiple levels.

12. Soonerus

You bump-weeds who never travel to games have no standing to talk on this issue...go try it sometime and see if you have an attitude adsjustment...

13. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

Jerryworld will probably get the Cotton into the BCS rotation. I'm guessing you'll see a BCS championship in Dallas in the next few years, FWIW.

14. Soonerus

We were speculating about that today..that would be AWESOME !!!!!

15. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

TAFT!

16. Soonerus

A true neutral field..that's all...

17. Pacman

Pacman New Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. Fiest and Rose in PAC-10 states and Sugar and Orange in SEC states. Why doesn't the Cotton Bowl get their acts together and become one of 5 sites (the new Cowboy stadium) for BCS games. It has as much history and tradition as all of them except the Rose Bowl and it would give a BCS game in Big XII territory.

18. OuSX

OuSX New Member

As frustrating as it is, all things considered their fans didn't lose us this game. Very few (if any) procedure penalties against us... This is just crying (which I will now go back to doing...)

19. Sasakwa

Sasakwa New Member

The big bowls are always going to be in warm weather or in domes. I think thats one of the reasons the Cotton did not make the rotation even though it had better tradition than the Fiesta. Seems like there was some bad weather during a few Cotton Bowls leading into the old Bowl Alliance or whatever it was called. As mentioned above, that will all be taken care of when the JerryCotton Bowl comes on board.

Its not always fair, but what if this year would have been the Rose or Fiesta and UF had to travel that distance?

When Texas beat USC in 05, that was a home game for USC.

20. Jock Ewing

Jock Ewing New Member

Know excuses

OUHOMER likes this.