1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home of the...../Stand or sit

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoonerPr8r, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

Nope I would castigate your fans for stealing it from OU :D , even though I think we stole it from someplace else according to other people on this board. No, but really I'm a young hippy at heart, I don't care about **** like that. Too each their own, say or don't say it. Just don't bitch at the people who do. And on the radio they made it sound like the majority of people don't like it, but that's not the impression I get from this board and other people I have talked to. Seems like most people, including a lot of vets don't care too much.

2. I won't gripe one way or the other...Just a personal choice to honor somebody who deserves it

boomersooner28 likes this.
  3. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Possibly, but only because Texans are known for their arrogance and we would assume (and probably rightfully so) that the reason they scream "Home of the Horns" was because they consider Texas above the U.S. And it's not just Oklahomans that express this viewpoint.

4. Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Sooner Born Sooner Bred SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My brother served in Desert Storm. He has always said that he fought for our right to say "Sooners" if we want. Several vets have basically said the same in this thread (JKII and others). It was more disrespectful that people were making all kinds of ruckus during the Moment of Silence, but maybe they weren't aware. I say "Sooners" but I sing the National Anthem loud and proud.

Yesterday, Tramel complained about lack of patriotism. I guess he totally ignored the part after the moment of silence where everyone was chanting USA USA.

5. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

After hearing the marines' story that called into the sports animal this morning, I will NEVER yell SOONERS at the end of the National Anthem again. It is the home of the BRAVE, and I have to much respect for those that have served and continue to serve OUr country.

I respectfully apologize to anyone I have offended for yelling Sooners at the end of the National Anthem. It won't happen again.

Boomer!

6. boomersooner28

He basically broke down trying to tell a story that he never tells anyone because it is too painful to rehash, but he said that while he was serving his HumVee was struck by an IED. The blast took his leg and a buddy of his was BRAVE enough to protect him from enemy fire. He watched as his buddy took a fatal hit for him. That is HOME OF THE BRAVE. I almost lost it just listening to him.

7. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Care to share the convincing evidence with the rest of us? :)

8. boomersooner28

Badger, you would have to hear it from the marine, but I paraphrased it in post 66.

9. SoonerPr8r

SoonerPr8r New Member

The braves do it, the stars do it (in the middle of the song) and I wonder if people get all up in the air about it over there.

As long as they aren't flying banners over Oklahoma I don't care what anyone does in te*as.

I did this way back because i knew someone would bring this up. Blame Tramel and the DOK for bringing it up Sunday morning. You should thank me for keeping it to 1 thread instead of 5. :rolleyes: :D

It was good meeting you at the tailgate. We had a lot of fun.

10. jharkins

jharkins New Member

I think this is a wonderful point. Well said. I wonder if the yells of "Home of the Sooners" will be as loud this week as the Air Force roll into town, the very "Brave" the song speaks of.

SoonerSon likes this.
  11. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hear him! Ya buncha effing wusses need to be singing.

And yelling "Sooners" is harmless, but bush-league lame.

12. TexasLidig8r

TexasLidig8r SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And yet, it is the sooner fans who in a most arrogant and self-absorbed fashion, have chosen to bastardize our national anthem.

Ironic.

So other than placing themselves over the nation, do enlighten us as to the reasons why sooner fans have bastardized the national anthem.

13. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

I will sing "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem every time they play it for an OU football game.

14. soonerborn30

soonerborn30 New Member

How arrogant of you to assume we'd give a rat's fat dead *** what came out of your mouth.

But then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

15. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I always thought "America the Beautiful" should have been the national anthem, so I sing that instead. Kinda awkward though.

16. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

I know whatcha mean, but for me it's usually Smoke on the Water. :pop:

17. OKLA21FAN

OKLA21FAN New Member

O beautiful for spacious skies,
    For amber waves of grain,
    For purple mountain majesties
    Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
    God shed His grace on thee,
    And crown thy good with brotherhood
    From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
    Whose stern impassion'd stress
    A thoroughfare for freedom beat
    Across the wilderness.

America! America!
    God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
    Confirm thy soul in self-control,
    Thy liberty in law.

O beautiful for heroes prov'd
    In liberating strife,
    Who more than self their country loved,
    And mercy more than life.

America! America!
    May God thy gold refine
    Till all success be nobleness,
    And ev'ry gain divine.

O beautiful for patriot dream
    That sees beyond the years
    Thine alabaster cities gleam
    Undimmed by human tears.

America! America!
    God shed His grace on thee,
    And crown thy good with brotherhood
    From sea to shining SOONERS!!!!!!!!.

18. BoulderSooner79

Oh, thanks for sticking that tune in my head for the rest of the day. :p

19. colinreturn

colinreturn New Member

almost happened to me at utah state. fratters.

20. BoulderSooner79

Is there a better section to get puked on?