1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home of the...../Stand or sit

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by SoonerPr8r, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

That was very touching.

2. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

2 girls were the only ones standing in section 17; about row 42.

once in each game (so far) security has asked them to sit down.

felt kinda sorry for them the 1st game, but not 2nd game.

anxiuos to see if they try it again.

(not anxious, curious)

3. OKLA21FAN

OKLA21FAN New Member

which begs the question.

Can one make just as much noise in the sitting position?

I sit, and I stand, just depends on position of the person in front of me. I make noise doing both. For some crazy reason, I don't think the opposing team is effected positively or negatively whether I am sitting or standing. Can they even tell? :pop:

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Fans have a right to stand, but the fans around them have a right to complain if they choose to exercise their right to stand :D

If things get angsty and outta hand, expect to get stuff thrown at you... and expect security to do nothing if they didn't witness it.

Just... be nice and avoid confrontation. Please????

5. SoonerBBall

SoonerBBall Well-Known Member

What did he say? I can't really see anyone making a convincing argument one way or the other about the topic.

6. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

For those who continue to complain about "Home of the Sooners," let's find some common ground - "Home of the Sooners" will never be as bad as yelling during a 9/11 tribute moment of silence.

:mad: stay classy, noles

7. There is no way my typed words can do that man justice in what he said...I would only hope it makes it way to their website or somewhere that everybody could listen to it...

A gunnery sergeant, he told the story of losing his leg in an attack and the lance corporal who was coming to rescue him was killed on his way to the rescue..he said that when the anthem is played, people like lance corporal Torres should be remembered because this is his home, the home of the brave...that when it comes to the brave part, it should be yelled loudly, not sooners...the man became very emotional and there was something in his voice that just put me in awe...he was very direct, precise, and didn't even express anything outside of his story and that brave should be yelled loudly..

you know, i've expressed i have no opinion one way or the other, but not the case anymore...If just for two people's honor that i don't do it, its lance corporal Torres and Sgt. Wilson.

CrimsonJim and SoonerSon like this.
  8. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

I would be pissed if someone called security on me for standing....at a ****ing football game. And honestly I can't believe security acctually came to talk to them. If it's really that big of a deal that I'm stadning up in front of you, just tell me. There are times when I stand and I sit, I try to stay aware of the people behind me but I don't always pay attention. If someone was yelling at me to sit down I would just tell them to stand up. Also it sucks sometimes because it is way too crowded on my row to sit down comfortably and I would just rather stand for most of the game than sit. Maybe people should start yelling at other people for their fat asses taking up too much room and not allowing me to sit down comfortably.

9. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Whatever

10. texaspokieokie

the 1st game, security was up there for another reason.

the 2nd game, someone called security.

11. ...sooner

...sooner New Member

agreed. the people in front of me were taking up 5 seats.. & there were 3 people!! 5! & they were squished! geez

12. texaspokieokie

maybe they had 5 tickets.

13. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

I heard it, and honestly I'm probably still going to yell Sooners. It was very emotional and I feel greatly not only for him and the gentleman that died saving him, but for all the soldiers and their families who have to go through those terrible things. But as I have said in all these theads regarding this, I don't see how me yelling Sooners takes away from our soldiers. I don't do it at any other sporting event or any other time singing the national anthem, just at OU football games. I bet if you asked every single person who yells it, none of them are meaning any disrespect to the brave soldiers who lost their lifes present and past for this country. Kinda like when I was at aTm and they yelled at me for wearing my hat inside their student union cause that place was dedicated to veterns. How is me wearing my hat in a building meant to serve food and as a place to study a disrespect? I just think that if you take offense to a song not being sung right, you're not worrying about the right issues. What are the guy who was burning all those Qurans? I bet the soldiers don't get up in arms about how the Muslim's rights are being trampled on, a right that those soldiers fought and died for. So is the book burning disrespectful to the soldiers. Really anything could be construed to make it seem against soldier, but for the most part I would say fans yelling Sooners at the end of the anthem is in good fun. And honestly they fought for me to have the right to yell sooners.

14. for me personally I agree in that I don't understand what it takes away from the soldiers, but it definitely means something to that guy...and if honoring him for losing his leg fighting for this country is not yelling Sooners, then thats what I will do...

After hearing him, for me , my personal PoV doesn't mean much

CrimsonJim likes this.
  15. btk108

btk108 New Member

Dayum you SoonerPr8r for starting this thing up again! :D

Crab Salad!

16. Well Im the one who dug this thread up again...just kind of took on a whole meaning for me this morning

17. TexasLidig8r

TexasLidig8r SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And yet, if it was Texas' fans screaming out, "Home of the Horns..." during the song, you would probably be the first one in line to castigate each and every Texas alum and fan singing it.

18. again, to me if yelling "home of the sooners" isn't that big of a deal, it shouldnt be that big of a deal to not yell it either

19. btk108

btk108 New Member

Well....you deserve a spanking then.....but not from me, you'd like it too much. :eek:

20. rawlingsHOH

rawlingsHOH New Member

Your point?