1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halfway through law school.

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Frozen Sooner, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Ike

Ike party pooper

heh. Cohn retired right after I came in. He was teaching Goldstein then, and luckily I didn't have to take it from him. From what I was told, it was possible to wind up with a negative score on his tests.

Cohn+Jackson would be the devil.

Although my experience with Jackson was not terrible. There was one other textbook actually that made me want pound my head against a brick wall even more (Statistical Mechanics out of Reichl).

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

If not, family law, what are you gonna do?

3. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

(Psst. I said what I was planning to do above.)

4. badger

Sorry, thread's already on a new page. What're you gonna do

Thanks for repeating yourself :p

5. Frozen Sooner

Psst. It's even in the post where I said I didn't want to do family law.

Corporate bankruptcy and secured transactions.

6. badger

Pbbth, corporations don't declare bankruptcy anymore :D

7. saucysoonergal

saucysoonergal SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Code courses were always my favorite, especially when the prof lets you bring the code into the final.

8. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU New Member

I took a class from him when I was an engineering major ('97 or so). He gave tests that were 10 questions, one point each. If you don't answer a question, no foul, but if you answer it wrong, you lose half a point. You could potentially get a -5 on an exam.

The cool thing was that his grade scale was strange, you only needed something like 23 points across all 4 tests to get an A for the class. I had a classmate who did so well, Dr. Cohn actually wrote on his final "Have you considered a career in physics?" That's one of his educational high points.

9. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i heard horror stories about him, but i managed to avoid his class as well

i just took my final for Statistical Physics and Thermodynamics this morning

that class pretty much melted my brain after no math or physics in like 10 years

10. Ike

Ike party pooper

If the story I heard was correct, Dr. Cohn also at one time had a picture of the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion on his door with a caption that was something along the lines of: "This is the result of partial credit"

11. Frozen Sooner

I love this.

It bothers me sometimes that the bridges I drive across were designed by a guy who got a 60% in a civil engineering course.

Then again, I guess it bothers me that some people are being represented by people whose sole skill was memorizing legal rules.

12. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It should bother you more that those bridges were built by the lowest bidder.

13. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

or the guy with the most powerful uncle/FiL?

14. Frozen Sooner

That too.

15. Soonermagik

Soonermagik New Member

I work in the legal realm. I'm telling you that the economy tied to lawyers is really bad right now. If fact, I know several graduates from last class that were ranked high in their class and can't find a job. Three of them aren't practicing law at all. One guy actually started a catering business lol.

I know another good friend who lived temporarily in Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio trying to find a job in any legal practice. He was also tops in his class. He took the Texas bar first, but he was forced to come back to OK to take a low paying job. I know what you're saying about there being a flooded market of lawyers. It's not just bad in Oklahoma, but it's bad all over.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to give an honest view of what I have seen. I'm hoping the economy will recover in the next year or two.

16. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

something tells me Froze will do okay

17. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He has "life experience," unlike the vast majority of new law grads who do the bachelors straignt to JD thing.

I'd consider the general counsel's office of a financial institution 'twer I in his shoes. Law firms just aren't hiring nowadays.

18. Frozen Sooner

I'll consider it, but as of right now I'm doing the firm thing. We'll see how this summer goes.

19. badger

It's a curse that some students have - they just have to continue being students for as long as possible.

I don't miss exams or endless grade pressure. Do miss football and basketball though.

20. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Devil would only get about a 15% on one of Cohn's tests.

I just remember dodging erasers. (If you made a mistake on the board, he threw an eraser at you.) Our homework load in that one class was well over 50 hours per week. And no, I enjoyed none of it.

One time I was at the board presenting my answer to some butt-hard problem involving Green's functions. I'm about halfway through, and he walks up and just ****ing erases everything on the board. And I'm like, "WTF?"