1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerald McCoy

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by okienole3, Dec 16, 2005.

1. That is something I think none of us wants to know....:)

2. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

7? I didn't know that was even possible.

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i believe 4 was the lowest score you could get

4. snp

snp New Member

Some player on our team that has had grades problems doesn't know how to type.

Dosen't. Know. How. To. Type.

See if you can guess who!

5. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Maybe he didn't have the opportunity to use his dad's laptop that much growing up.

6. Harry Beanbag

What position do you play? ;)

Mjcpr likes this.
  7. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

I would think it would be hard to get a 7...don't you get like a 5 for just showing up and writing down your name??

8. GDC

GDC New Member

I made a 31 my junior year at a ****ty high school with no honors or AP classes and no specific test prep at all. Damn you, jkm:mad: ;)

9. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

i'm sorry you had to go to sand springs ;)

10. LSUdeek

LSUdeek New Member

they pass out alternating tests up and down the aisle. any one person would have different answer keys on either side of himself.

34! good job.

11. OUGreg723

OUGreg723 New Member

Standardized tests do not prove how smart you are. ACT's are extremely hard for a kid with ADD or leanring dissabilities who doesnt fit the rediculously strict guidlines for the extended time test. It is really all about if you have a high attention span and do not get distracted easily. Those without ADD really cannot understand what its like.

All throughout high school I have been successful in many AP classes, been an honor role student, active in sports, and gone to school in what might be the top public school system in the country (Fairfax County). But when I took the ACT for the first time I only scored a 19. I also then realized that I am ADD. The only reason I was successful in high school was because I worked hard and studied alot. It took me 3 more ACT tests for me to reach a 23. Which isnt even automatic admission for OU, but I met other requirements to get in, and impressed in an interveiw.

That aside, I know I am no dummy and I struggled on the ACT test as well. Some people are just not good standardized test takers. Lot's of these kids could be really smart and we should'nt talk about them like this. Everyone has a different mind. I was always the last kid done in my class for a test, but I would score one of the highest. These tests are all about time.

These kids are also gifted as atheletes in ways that we can't come close too. Well I guess my point is, intellegence comes in many different forms.

12. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

that is part of the reason why the NCAA is moving away from standardized tests (right now, they have a scale based on GPA). the thing about these kids is that for a lot of them the damage is done their freshman year. its pretty difficult to get your core up when you start off with a 1.0 in them...

13. Harry Beanbag

I don't know about normal people, but I've heard of some athletes with learning disabilities being allowed to take the tests untimed.

14. OUGreg723

OUGreg723 New Member

You may be right. If you cannot do well untimed, then you may not be a very smart person, or you had poor teachers.

15. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

another thing that the test makers refuse to acknowledge is that there is definitely a difference in the degree of difficulty between the tests. i took the SAT and ACT several times for various reasons and when i tagged an "easy" test i blew the score out of the water.

16. GDC

GDC New Member

worse, Tahlequah:(

17. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ok, I'm going to say this because I'm going to bring a different perspective on the matter. As an athlete, I had periods where I was 'catered' to in regards to school. I had plenty of periods of time where no effort was put forth, but the end results were good enough to keep me eligible, which was what mattered according to how the system was set up. In fact, the only year where I ever attempted to apply myself academically was my senior year which coincided with the fact that I had two major quad injuries and a knee and shoulder injury in the same school year. I was basically held out of all sports, organized or pick up, and I ended up pulling a 3.5 gpa that year.

Also, with standardized testing, there are cultural and regional biases within the test, and they don't make any allowances for stuff like sofa v. couch, soda v. pop, etc. Throw that into the blender with a screwed up school system nationwide and you've got the makings of disasters waiting to happen.

18. OUGreg723

OUGreg723 New Member

Stanardized Tests do not determine anything in life.

19. The problem with all of this is that our lovely legislators feel that importance should be placed on the test regardless of intellectual ability. Brad Henry and other memebers of Congress are quietly trying to push through legislation that would require all students to pass a certain battery of tests to graduate high school. This means that many kids are going to linger in high school which could be bad news for prespective sports programs at least in Oklahoma.

I do not know if other states are employing the same methods as Oklahoma, but can you imagine OU not getting DeMarco Murray, or Texas not getting Sergio Kindle, or SUC not getting Emmanuel Moody due to the fact they couldn't pass their standardized high school Exit Exams? That would equal sheer torture for prospective college coaches and people on this very message board and others.

I do not agree witht the way our education system is going, but it is a hard, cold fact. And if any school thinks that prowess in an athletic program can save them, they would sadly be wrong becasue of NCLB, poorly performing schools can eventually be consolidated to other districts if the NCLB board feels it necessary. Just food for thought...

20. Hella Sideburns

Hella Sideburns New Member

TAHLEQUAH IS NOT WORSE THAN SAND SPRINGS

ok it is.