1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Center?

Discussion in 'OKC Thunder Talk' started by SteelClip49, Jul 4, 2008.

1. SteelClip49

SteelClip49 New Member

A friend said that the OKC Ford Dealers have yet to sponsor the team and if that remains the case, there could be a new name for the arena. I don't know the entire truth behind this but if it's the case, then I say it should be renamed to be known as the SONIC CENTER...:D

2. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

The agreement with the the dealers provides the naming contract is immediately up for renegotiation should an NBA or NHL become an official tenant. The lease agreement (already signed) with the NBA team provides that they get all of the proceeds from any additional naming rights revenue, save the amount already being paid to the City. Therefore, they can go out and re-sell the arena's name (with the city having some veto power), so long as the city gets the same value.

The name is already in play.

The Ford dealers get first right of refusal, but if someone out-bids them, it is the Ford Center no more. The Ford dealers association paid plenty for the current deal, but lucked into an unforseen amazing situation with the Hornets playing there. They got far more exposure than they paid for. They won't be able to pay the kind of money that will be required to keep their name on the building. The only way they could pull it off is if they involve Ford Motor Company, which might be tough. As successful as they are, I can't imagine that Sonic could pony up at that level, either.

My guess is that the building ends up with a different name.

3. Paperclip

Paperclip SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, since we're not sponsoring a shotgun this year...

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  4. PhilTLL

PhilTLL Active Member

Getting an apparently "national" name out of a sponsorship with a local consortium is small-time, anyway. **** 'em.

5. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

May end up as another Gay-Lord thing.:mad:

6. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

UFIA Center?

7. Mixer!

Mixer! Well-Known Member

I bet it won't be called the Express Sports arena. :pop:

8. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

Got that right.

9. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well, i'd say call her but the name "Jenny Craig Pavillion" is already taken by SDSU's hoops arena.

10. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i heard eschbach is donating his hat and his restaurant space to the ford center for naming rights.

11. Soonrboy

Soonrboy Always Right

It'd be cool if the team is the Thunderbirds and Ford sponsored it...ford thunderbird dome..

12. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

maybe Starbucks Center?

13. King Crimson

actually, i'd work it the other way. Ford goes to the "Sonics" ownership group and says we got the money, but the team is called T-Birds or Mustangs.

we'd come off looking stupid corporate shil, but who doesn't these days?

i personally prefer Barons.

14. King Crimson

for a team that just left Seattle?

15. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, that would be awesome. :)

16. PhilTLL

PhilTLL Active Member

Is "cool" the word you were looking for, or "incredibly corny-***"?

17. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Starbucks should catch gonhorrea and die. **** that indian-giver.

18. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

now we're talking

that would be a great name for the place :D

19. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

**** that indian-giver.:confused:

20. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

yeah, the "Starbucks should catch gonhorrea and die. **** that indian-giver. Center"