1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Ruf/Nek7, Aug 9, 2011.

1. finster

finster New Member

Re: End of the BIG XII

So it goes.

2. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There's not a more delusional fanbase out there than our aggies and I think you guys know that by now. Byrne's just trying to get the egg off of his face after he left millions on the table when Dodds offered him a joint 3rd-tier channel with us and he said it would never make money. He's just trying to appease his angry constituents.

And the aggie pay boards are just making money off of their lemmings' angst, driving them to buy subscriptions and they're lapping it up.

3. silverwheels

silverwheels SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah your Aggies have the biggest inferiority complex in the nation and it bugs even me, a diehard Sooner fan. I do not like those nut-squeezers at all.

4. prrriiide

prrriiide New Member

More proof of the lack of intelligence of the voting public.

Well, if you mean plenty of sheep doctors and pharmacists, then yes. Oh, and don't forget the meth peddlers. Puts a lot into the state's economy.

What do you mean, a higher calling then the Governor of the GREAT STATE OF TEXASS? SACRILEGE!!!! :texan:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. Herr Scholz

Yep.

6. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If Herr agrees with you, you should be baned!

7. silverwheels

I don't think hating on Texas A&M, whether Sooner or Longhorn, is a baneable offense. They deserve it.

8. Quik Sand

Quik Sand New Member

Oklahoma State gives them a run for their money...

9. Herr Scholz

At least they have a bunch of rasslin titles.

10. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think baj is right. As much as I love Uncle Dave and what he's done for this university, he's protecting OSU. They're not good enough to get into a major conference without us, and I don't think the legislators have the balls to **** off the Sooner fanbase by sinking a great deal in favor of having OSU tag along.

11. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

I think Texas would find being an independent a nightmare. That's even more true with the LHN. No quality opponent would consider playing Texas if the game is exclusive to the LHN and that would either kill the LHN or Texas. In addition, I don't think any other major conference would agree to have Texas conference games on the LHN.

I think Texas pushed the limit a little too far here and they may pay a steep price. Unless they have a patsy conference (Big12) that will comply the LHN can't survive the way it is currently envisioned.

If the LHN wants to televise games other than paycheck opponents they better hope the Big 12 stays intact.

Can you imagine anyone playing Notre Dame if their games were on something similar to the LHN instead of NBC? Any athletic director who agreed to play a series where at least one of the games would not be viewable by the fan base (without paying for the oppenent's network) would be fired pretty quickly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  12. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

Yup. That's why I think Tech, OU, and OSU to the pac without a fourth team is a likely invite. They'll keep that spot open until Tejas makes up their mind to give up on LHN. Tejas may make up their mind quick enough that it seems in unison with the other three but it may come later.

13. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I am sure exceptions could be made for other states as far as the LHN goes. I mean, when Packer games were to be broadcast on a cable channel, did that mean most of rural Wisconsin went without Packers that week? HELL, NO! They got some local TV station to carry the cable broadcast and we all just watched the game like we would have had it been on a local channel instead.

Now... if you're in TEXAS, you might get blacked out if you don't have the LHN. But if they played, say, Bammer, there's no way in hell ESPN is missing out on that viewership. They'd likely broadcast it on the local ABC affiliate in every state except Texas.

14. Octavian

Octavian SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm in the minority here...but I disagree on this part. Agreed with the Legislature comment though -- there's no state law that mandates we have to be in the same conference. From 1920-1960 we were in different conferences. Last summer, OSU's leaders basically said a big Thank You when we told everyone we didn't want them left behind.

I think OU didn't want to go the SEC and we used OSU as a PR shield to refuse that offer. I think we'd be very happy if the Pac would accept OSU, but I don't think for a second that we'd reject the Pac offer just to protect OSU if the boat was sinking.

We don't have the same BOR. There is no PUF in Oklahoma like Texas. OU's leaders want OSU with us, for sure. I do too. It's good for the state. But if it all hits the fan, OU's leaders aren't going to sacrifice the university and the football program to Mountain West Purgatory just to protect OSU. That's just not going to happen.

15. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Texas would have a HARD time making at as a independent. Notre Dame has a pre-set conference like schedule. They know they will be playing Michigan, Navy, USC, Michigan St, Purdue, Boston College every year so those guys are like a conference schedule. Plus they play Stanford, Pittsburgh and Army most years as well so they have to come up with 2 or 3 games a year like any conference team. Texas would have none of those, Oklahoma will play them regardless, outside of that, you think it is a guarantee A&M plays them. You think if Baylor, Kansas, Iowa St, and others end up in Conference USA, they are going to be stoked to help Texas fill their schedule. Do you think SEC teams will want to add a non conference game with a team like Texas? I know if I am Alabama, I don't want to play Texas, especially with the hassle of the LHN. They would have to work there *** off to get to 10 or 11 games and non of them would have any assured quality....

16. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

FYI, Finebaum has gone on the record today saying that he was wrong yesterday and he's pretty confident that something is going on with A&M and the SEC.

A&M writers seem confident that it's happening and happening soon.

17. northspeter

northspeter New Member

Emig via twitter... just posted a quote from texas governer Rick Perry on the A&M to the SEC talk... "Conversations are being had..."

18. usaosooner

usaosooner New Member

Finebaum changed his tune from yesterday

More than just smoke here

19. silverwheels

A&M has talked too much **** now to back out. The end (of the Big 12) is nigh...

20. BigUgly

BigUgly New Member

Prolly the end. But what about pulling Arkie away from the SEC to replace Aggie?