1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this past week change your opinion of BV?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Collier11, May 27, 2011.

1. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think it should, Football is huge in Oklahoma but at the end of the day its about the people. BV is a TOP 10 Def coach in America and has a Heart of Gold, now I know why Stoops sticks by him. I couldnt be more proud to have him as a coach than now!

Peach Fuzz and ouduckhunter like this.
  2. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

and NO, this isnt emotion speaking, my emotion over the Box death just reaffirms my commitment to Coach V

3. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

While I completely sympathize and could not possibly imagine what he has gone through the past week, why would that change anyone's opinion of him as a DC? I would hope that everyone else would act that way anyway.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
    colinreturn likes this.
  4. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

It could change your opinion because you got an inside look at the man and got to see what he was made of... the meat and potatoes if you will. we dont often get to see coaches in general, and our coaches in particular, be actual people and men of character.

101sooner likes this.
  5. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

I don't think anyone on here has doubted his character. I have always respected Venables as a coach and more importantly as a person. But why would someone who didn't like his coaching before like it now?

Now, with that being said. I would hope that no one I love, would have to go through what he has gone through. :(

6. SoonerOX

SoonerOX New Member

I think that every Sooner fan respects coach Venables as a man. We've all known that he deeply cares for the young men that are a part of this program. However, we are talking about Brent as a man, not as a coach. While I believe that he is a first rate defensive coordinator, those that believe otherwise are still entitled to their opinion. That being said, I am proud to have coach Venables as our DC, there aren't many coaches out there whom I would rather see in that position.

7. soonercoop1

soonercoop1 New Member

Always thought he was a great person and a wonderful human being but his D hasn't been Top 15 in years....

8. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I've never questioned his character, and I don't make light of what he's gone through recently, but as a DC he's still a good one, not a great one.

9. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

Curly Bill nails it.

I would like to add that I think has the tools be a tremendous head coach.

10. batonrougesooner

batonrougesooner New Member

He's an excellent defensive coordinator. That hasn't changed.

11. mgsooner

mgsooner New Member

It won't change the opinion of any of the redneck toothless idiots that rip him on here on a daily basis during the season.

12. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

I have always respected Venables. He hasn't had the best defenses in the world, but the pieces are there. He is a very kind man, and doesn't deserve to be called "Vulnerables".

13. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i don't even really think he deserves it, but it's a pretty good play on his name :O

14. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

It's not the redneck toothless idiots. It's the popped collar, puka shell wearing, gelled hair faggots who rip him more than anybody.

I've dealt with Venables for many years through my work. He's one of the finest people you could ever want to meet. He's also an outstanding defensive coordinator. Those that think he's average have **** for brains. Yes, they're entitled to their ignorance.

15. TahoeSOONER

TahoeSOONER New Member

16. bigfatjerk

bigfatjerk New Member

I would like for us to have had a little better defenses in recent years but fact is we haven't really had the talent we had there from 2000-2004 or 2005 or so. Just look at the players we had those years. Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, Derrick Strait, Brandon Everage, Woolfolk, Perkins, Calmus, Lehman, Marshall, Mitchell, Dan Cody, I can probably list more, but we have had some players that are that good but not a group of them together. And also more and more offenses are spreading teams out. Our defenses have been good, and well coached, probably just not as talented as they were in 2000-2004 especially. Now I think we are getting better. We still don't have the lines we had those years.

17. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

I'll take Slept Through the Entire 2009 Season for $500, Alex.

18. Sooner_Tuf

Sooner_Tuf New Member

My opinion of Brent hasn't changed. I've known he is a top shelf guy since I first met him over ten years ago.

*no shortage of these guys

19. ouwasp

ouwasp New Member

I think Coach Venables is an all-round fine guy (don't know him personally), is a very good DC (else Bob would not have kept him), and I hope to see more 3-n-outs from the D this season. :)

20. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

I would like more shutouts. I know they are hard things to accomplish, but who wouldn't want to see the Sooners shut out their opponents besides our opponents?