1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Oklahoma care??

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by boomrsoonr, Dec 11, 2006.

1. boomrsoonr

boomrsoonr New Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6262228

Does Oklahoma care?

By Pete Fiutak
    Here's a chance for Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma coaching staff to show that they care about their players and their futures above anything else.

Tell Adrian Peterson, "Thank you, enjoy the view from the sideline, and start getting ready for the NFL combine."

How much would future recruits respect Stoops and truly believe he has their best interests at heart? Would you let your kid risk $25 million for one game that, when all is said and done, doesn't really matter?

I understand how players work their tails off while dreaming of playing in bowl games. I understand how desperately Peterson wants to help out the team he's been a cheerleader for ever since breaking his collarbone against Iowa State.

But Oklahoma isn't playing in the national championship, or even the Big 12 title game, in which case it would then be more than understandable for Peterson to come back to play. The Fiesta Bowl against Boise State is nothing more than a glorified exhibition game, and certainly isn't worth jeopardizing this great kid's future.

What if he blows out a knee like Willis McGahee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl? What if he breaks his leg like Michael Bush in the season-opener against Kentucky? We're talking about a top-10 pick in next year's draft, and possibly No. 2 behind Brady Quinn, and he's going to risk it against Boise freakin' State?! (Actually, I'd make the same case for Quinn.) Don't believe the garbage that some NFL scouts want to see Peterson play once more. Peterson is a multi-millionaire next year at this time.

Reggie Bush signed for $51 million for six years with $26.2 million guaranteed. Will Stoops or the Oklahoma coaches and fans repay the lost revenue if Peterson gets hurt and slides down the first round, like McGahee? Yeah, right.

It's Peterson's place to say he wants to play and nothing can keep him off the field. It's up to the adults to do what's best for him and his family.

2. ClintonSooner

ClintonSooner New Member

act like a collerbone is a career ending injury...not to be an arse, but his bone should be ok IMO

3. Pepper

Pepper New Member

Let Peterson decide. It's his future and last I checked he's and adult too. The fans including me want to see him break Billy Sims' record. The tone of this article sounds a little bit on the anti-Stoops side- just looking for some 'what if' to rip Stoops.

4. boomrsoonr

boomrsoonr New Member

But you know that if something does happen (God forbid), then all the heat will be on Stoops.

Remember in the early part of this season when people on this site were griping about him being in there in the 4th quarter?

5. tator

tator New Member

I believe he was cleared to pay in the CCG, but they decided to give it some more time to make sure. Correct?

He's gonna play again eventually, he's plenty healed.

6. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, every football player, as soon as he realizes he will probably be drafted early in the NFL draft, should immediately stop playing collegiate football.
    Now where the hell is that roll eyes thingie.

TUSooner likes this.
  7. franklinjake

franklinjake New Member

Maybe this writer just wants our big weapon out because he is rooting for Boise State or hates our Sooners?

8. shavedmarmoset

shavedmarmoset New Member

What is this guy on drugs? No coach can tell Superman what to do.

9. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

It's AD's decision whether or not to play.

Besides, I don't recall seeing or reading anything at all where AD has stated his going pro after this season

10. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Following Pete Fiutak's logic we should have benched him after his freshman year. He had proven to the NFL scouts what kind of talent he had. Just let him continue to work out and wait out the mandatory three years from HS graduation.

Oh wait, if we had done that, FoxSports, Fiutak's employer would undoubtedly have lost some ad revenue. Now since they are not broadcasting the Fiesta Bowl it is okay to take this position.

11. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

If I were Adrian's mother I would want more than one physicians opinion about the possible repercussions. It would be nice if he could safely play, but the others should be allowed to play as well.

12. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Lets all stay on the couch to avoid possible injury, I guess whoever has a chance to go pro should sit out these bowl games because they might get hurt :rolleyes:

What a moron, put away the keyboard and get your pacifier out. Maybe he should quit typing because he might develop carpel tunnel syndrome (wait a minute, that might be doing the world a favor). Morons like him need to go hide behind their mommas skirts.

Stuff like this always reminds me of a quote from the movie Dust to Glory by the wife of Johnny Campbell (many times Baja 1000 motorcycle winner). She has a scene in the movie where she said that people ask her if she is afraid of something happening to him during the race, she says something to the effect that other than the fact that it is how they make a living and she goes on to say that as soon as she tells him not to do it then he will get killed commuting on the 405. When it is your time it is your time.

Umm....FOX is broadcasting all BCS games except for the Rose Bowl, you know tradition dictates that they must be on ABC.

13. SoonerGM

SoonerGM New Member

this guys attitude is why he writes about competitive sports instead of participating in them. the bottom line is, he just doest get it.

14. DrZaius

DrZaius Well-Known Member

The way I look at it if any of those idiots cared about what the kids did on the field there would be about 45 rule changes. The minute that a kid plays and puts his life/career/just being able to walk when he gets older on the line for a $20,000.00 per year scholarship, he should be able to make up his own mind. If the trainer says that he is good to go then he should go if he wants to.

15. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

I'm still not sold that we won't use AD as a decoy like we did all year long in play-action. If we light them up early, AD sits, whether he wants to or not. If we get raped, AD stays in until we know it is out of hand or until we find some continuity. He's not gonna be an every down back in this game.

16. sooner518

sooner518 New Member

Fiutak is a complete doucherocket. There arent many sportswriters I cant stand(him and Mariotti), but he is definitely one of them after his retarded argument about the OU-UO game and subsequent emails to me which made absolutely no sense.

17. franklinjake

franklinjake New Member

Not trying to be rude, but Play Safely? You can't guarantee to any player playing any position that they can play football safely.

Repurcussions? Well, you are talking about a football player, AD or any other runningback, running full speed down field at the defense, with the defense running full speed at you, which of course creates violent hits several times a game. If football depended on mothers emotions of doctors stating the obvious of the possibilities of injuries from violent hits, we wouldn't have football in America. You can have concussions (sp), broken bones, paralysis, torn muscles/ligaments, etc. Oh, did I mention this can happen to any player playing any position? Maybe mothers of Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton and other great backs should never have let their sons play football because of "said injury possibilities".

18. franklinjake

franklinjake New Member

Maybe we should ban football in its entirety because any player playing any position could get hurt?

19. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I get into this talking to people about riding a motorcycle, there is a guy that I know of whose wife died when she lost her balance unloading the minivan and hit her head on the curb, she was in her her early 30's.

Anything can happen at anytime, if he wants to play and is medically cleared then he should play. It is as simple as that.

20. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

I don't mean to be rude, but first lay off the mothers. Fathers care about their kids as well. By "play safely" I was referring to Adrian being able to play in the Fiesta Bowl without re injuring the collarbone and impeding the healing process of this particular injury. I would hope that any responsible parent would want to hear that from more than one physician, as I'm sure they did if he can in fact play.

Did you really think that I thought mothers should walk into doctors offices asking if its possible that their football playing kids could ever get hurt playing ball? :rolleyes:

yermom and usmc-sooner like this.