1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could Oklahoma Support a NFL Team?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Shakadoodoo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I think it we can pack out B-ball games the way we do - we would have no problem selling out 8 football games. I would love to have a NFL team - I am tired of cheering for everyone else!

2. reevie

reevie New Member

We don't have the business base and we're too close to Dallas.

3. soonerguild

soonerguild New Member

yeah, in the NFL it isn't butts in seats its television. Same thing that seperates us and the lakers.

4. Dwight

Dwight New Member

quick answer: no.

It would be awesome, but it would never happen

5. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

What if we had a business model like Green Bay and sold shares to the public?

6. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And Green Bay does?

Hell, L.A. has one of the biggest business bases in the country and they do not even have one....oh wait, they have USuCk!

7. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The entertainment factor of Oklahoma City and Tulsa fighting over who should have a team after sufficiently bribing Jerry Jones and whoever owns the Chiefs now would be awesome.

8. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, it appears to me that the Dallas Cowboys organization has substantial influence among the owners in the NFL and the Cowboys don't want an NFL franchise in Oklahoma or surrounding states. I think I read somewhere that the Cowboys accounted for about a quarter of all NFL merchandise sold, despite the recent crappy teams that went on the field. Whether they deserve the moniker "America's Team" or not, you can count on them trying to protect their cash cows in north Texas, Oklahoma and surrounding sports mad states.

9. OU_Sooners75

New Orleans has a team I thought...hell there is another team in their home state, Houston.

;)

10. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

If we raised the turnpike fees....I believe we could have 2.

11. oumartin

oumartin New Member

We may sell out thunder games but that place has yet to be full when I've attended a game

12. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Lightning is much more menacing than thunder and Rain can fill a stadium better than thunder. Thunder hits fast but quickly dissipates. More thought should have gone into naming them IMO.

I still like the OKC Wranglers

13. Dwight

Dwight New Member

"Thunder" is fine with me, but not with a tropical blue/yellow/orange color scheme. Black/yellow/gold would have been awesome. I also would accept Bison

14. Scott D

expansion is a different animal than existing franchises. Jack Kent Cooke blocked the Browns moving to Baltimore until he got some concessions.

15. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

OKC WIndmills would have rawkd

16. oumartin

oumartin New Member

the thunder name, the thunder colors and all that kick butt.

17. OU_Sooners75

If memory serves me correctly...Houston did not have a team for a few years after the Oilers left to Nashville.

18. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I think it's cool that the Thunder's best player adopted his last name from one of the towns in Oklahoma. That was a nice touch.

19. reevie

reevie New Member

Green Bay is an odditty in major league sports. The Packers were established in 1919, a completely different economic era. It has taken them decades to achieve their status and economic stability - and don't forget they played home games in Milwaukee until 1995 to achieve that.

The NFL would never put a team in Green Bay today.

20. Scott D

The Texans and new Cleveland Browns were exceptions to the rule.