1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Virus Protection

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Breadburner, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

List your favs....

2. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Norton. I'm not a computer guru, but I had it installed on all of the computers in my office (on the advice of an IT consultant). It's all I've used for the past five years or so (also on my personal computer), and I've not a a single problem.

3. soonerinabilene

soonerinabilene Fish Sticks

I've just been using Google chrome with no anti-virus programs for the last year and have not had a single problem. When I used to download music and movies all the time from limewire, I used AVG.

4. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

Avast - cuz its something a pirate would say...Oh and its free, plus I run malwarebytes. Both free and no viruses since I've started exclusively using those two.

5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

AVG started pissing me off with all of the upsell tries and toolbars and ****. performance on my Atom based netbooks also started to suffer, it seems. none of my computers are very fast at the moment...

i've gone mostly to Microsoft Security Essentials, without incident

i also use Adblock and Flashblock religiously and avoid Internet Explorer like the plague though.

also, Peerblock. it seems to be a must when using uTorrent.

6. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i'm generally not a fan of Norton/Symantec anything. anytime i've given Norton a chance, i have regretted it.

7. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Norton

But it won't save you from stupidity...

I received this email...it looked fishy...shouldn't open it...I knew it would probably cause problems...so I opened it...

All hell broke loose...immediate computer shutdown...lost all personal folders...it took me a day to get it up and running half azz...

8. sooneriniowa

sooneriniowa New Member

12 years of doing IT support and the best I've found are free. I recommend avast or avg. They update on their own without any need of user input. With avast if you screw up you know about it before you screw up the pc. Avast is also better on the pc, low memory and processor utilization.

9. I Am Right

I Am Right New Member

Dont go on line without it. Remember you get what you pay for!

10. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've used Lavasoft's Ad-Aware free anti-virus for about three years now with no issues.

11. 8timechamps

When I first starting using it, some 8 or 9 years ago, it seemed that it never stopped anything. I went away from it (using SpySweeper), until I upgraded my office network. That's when I called in an IT guy (because I don't make mega cash, and can't afford to have one on staff). He said for my purposed, Norton would do the trick...and (this is what sold me), if I had any issues, there was always someone available to help me. Since I have to have access all day/every day, I needed the "sleep good at night" factor.

12. 8timechamps

I went from IE to Firefox a few years back, and thought it was okay. Then about a year and a half ago I switched to Chrome. It is, by far, the best browser I've ever used. Can't imagine ever switching to anything else.

13. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

I know "next to nothing" about computers; but i use "google chrome". It's very good for map type stuff. I do that a lot.

14. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ESET
    It's like having a mean older brother.

15. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

my comments have nothing to do with the ability to catch threats and more with how it cripples performance when it's not just crippling functionality

16. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

Any recommendations for Mac's? Or are they still an afterthought for virus makers?

17. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

I've talked to many mac users who think their computers are invincible to viruses. Yes there are people who make viruses for any computer. Probably a lot les of a chance, but still one exist. I don't own a mac, but I would assume they have some sort of protection available.

18. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Fraggle, it depends on how critical your machine is to your daily life. Normal outlets make MacOS versions. If you want to, or have to, go a bit more couture, then the Apple help board is full of solutions at a range of prices, from free on up.

19. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Piece of chit Norton...

New version was available..so I downloaded...not compatible with MS Essentials...crap crap crap...

20. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

I will not allow anything "google" on my computer.