1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Errors In English

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by soonerbrat, Dec 10, 2008.

1. soonerbrat

soonerbrat Not Exactly Right

The other day I was proofreading something for someone and they had used the phrase "for all intensive purposes". I had always thought it was "For all intents and purposes" so I looked it up and I found this:

Common Errors In English

I thought some of you people might want to check some of them out.

oh, and I was right, by the way.

2. Viking Kitten

Viking Kitten SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That's a long list. English people must be pretty stupid. Irregardless, thanks for the help, Brat.

A Sooner in Texas likes this.
  3. OUDoc

OUDoc ..............

More people should learn to speak American good.

4. Jerk

Jerk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

LOL :D

5. LoyalFan

LoyalFan New Member

Good post!
    The one that really gets to me is using "would/could of" when "would/could have" is called for. Why not use the contraction; "would've/could've" and avoid the error.
    Frankly, I believe that Americans are far less facile in their own language than any other folks on the planet. We mangle, murder, misuse and abuse our language to a dreadful extent.
    I is embarrassed, I are!

LF

soonerbrat likes this.
  6. soonerbrat

Supposably that list should help everyone.

7. Jerk

Jerk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, but give us credit for one thing: we're the only nation where a person can travel 3,000 miles and not have a problem understanding the locals.

eta - 'cept for Loosiania.

8. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thanks for the link, brat.

The only one that drives me crazy is this the incorrect use of I and we after a preposition. It seems to be more of a spoken problem than a written problem. It seems some people think it is somehow more formal or proper, when it is just wrong. I always say that if you can put a verb after I or we, then you have used it correctly. If you can't, you didn't.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/myself.html

9. soonerbrat

i had some trouble understanding people in St. Louis sometimes. Especially the old ladies..when I was there house hunting the real estate agent told me to get on "farty far"....and she meant "forty four"

i had to ask her to repeat that a few times.

10. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

judgment!

Take out the "e" people!

11. OU4LIFE

OU4LIFE SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm fixin to neg the bejesus out of this thread.

12. 1890MilesToNorman

1890MilesToNorman New Member

I brung a apple to me teacher Miss Brat, she purdy. It's impotent to get a good edumacation. :p

13. Hot Rod

Hot Rod New Member

Yes, illegitimate people CAN read!

14. 1890MilesToNorman

When I first moved to Maine a lady invited us to dinner and she was explaining what we would be having, she rattled off a few items and then said "whupadadas". I said is that like a rutabaga and she said no, whupped potatoes, and I said oh, Mashed Potatoes. I've been here 21 years and I still run across words that mean nothing to me.

15. Czar Soonerov

Czar Soonerov Never gonna give you up

I seen what your did there.

soonerbrat likes this.
  16. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You know, they're IS a difference in mashed and whipped potatoes. Not much, but their is. :p

17. 1890MilesToNorman

I know, it's called the Mason-Dixon line. :p

18. OU4LIFE

OU4LIFE SoonerFans.com Elite Member

it's 'illegible' you moran.

Hot Rod likes this.
  19. IB4OU2

IB4OU2 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bigfoot instead of Sasqauch?

20. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Seriously.

Whipped potatoes are smooth, almost fluffy, and need more milk, usually done with a blender. Creamy and delicious. Whereas mashed 'taters are just smashed all to hell, less milk, with little chunks of whole potato left in the mix. They both have their place and they both kick ***.

But there IS a difference.