1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College basketball meltdowns 2013

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My bracket should be in the meltdown thread. 8 of 16. Brutal.

2. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

New Mexico's board might be interesting today.

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Chillll, guys. I have other SF.com interests (like vBookie... maybe i should force you all to partake in that before i post meltdowns hehe) besides this silly meltdown thread.

Also, before you hate on the Pokes too much, it turns out that some of them at least have a semblance of humor (before they ban you to the Gooner flame board):
    [​IMG]
    So anyways, time to try to wade through more than 50 pages of OP drivel...
    Note: It's funny seeing them talk about "UO" and not be talking about us :D
    You're crazy. But so am I, because I'm going to continue going through this crap later today (I'm only 22 of 54 pages in)

4. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

It is already. The main Lobo board has also been invaded by Iowa fans who hate Steve Alford and wanted to see him flop. But many Lobo fans are freaking out today.

FWIW - it was way worse in the 90's when they lost any game, much less one when they were heavily favored.

5. badger

Who do you love, OKLAST?!?!?
    [​IMG]
    Note: Anyone wanna own up to this? :D
    uuggggh why did i volunteer to subject myself to this sh!t

6. badger

If you're Harvard and you know it don't melt down...
    [​IMG]
    oh my gawd there are so many threads its like SF.com after a football loss :eek:
    **** that! ...ok, fine... sh!t... referrer??? HARVARD! tee hee i bet they've gotten that a lot recently...

^^^a few posts are invisible because of this alert
    I kind of feel bad for them. I mean, New Mexico gave us Landry after all. So, maybe some day, they'll have their athletic ducks in a row and they can be invited to the Big 12 (they're a geographical fit, after all). Till then, keep on keeping on, The Pit.

7. Seamus

Seamus New Member

If that day ever happens, OU damn well better be in the SEC or Pac-16 or Big 10/11/14/3.14/whatever.

Rock on with the meltdowns, Baj -- thanks for compiling.

8. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Actually, he can and he IS on the floor about 90% of the time. Dodging officials and players in doing so. I assume it's so people can see him!

9. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

10. badger

derp derp kansas state is sh!ttier than expected...
    [​IMG]
    Final meltdown report card:
    -Not enough Internet game discussion
    -Lack of passion win or lose
    -Clearly mediocre fanbase that doesn't give a sh!t online
    -Use more curse words, derogatory terms or even typing in ALL CAPS!
    -Get more KSU Mask type fans!

Final grade: C-minus

11. badger

derp derp kansas state is sh!ttier than expected...
    [​IMG]
    Final meltdown report card:
    -Not enough Internet game discussion
    -Lack of passion win or lose
    -Clearly mediocre fanbase that doesn't give a sh!t online
    -Use more curse words, derogatory terms or even typing in ALL CAPS!
    -Get more KSU Mask type fans!

Final grade: C-minus

12. badger

Oh if only there weren't refs in this game of basketball, then Iowa State would be undefeated...
    [​IMG]
    ^^^cyclone birds sez "I'm gonna march right up to that ref and give him a piece of my mind. Caw! Caw!"
    Note: As always, I am not adding any asterisks, their board is...
    Final report card:
    + Hating on refs to the point of tinfoil hat conspiracy belief
    + Incredibly long game threads regardless of the game
    + Posting in ALL CAPS and edited cursing by board
    + Lots of references to getting kicked in the balls
    + Calling for bans and lots of hate of fellow posters for a wide variety of reasons during/after losses

Final grade: A+

13. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

That guy was the sports editor at the local fishwrap for several years. He was a major part of the junta that pretty much insisted that they needed Norm "Lobogate" Ellenberger to come back, cheat his butt off, and win often enough that they'd look the other way when things were going haywire with boosters (cheating) and players (criminals).

14. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Ha! Maybe Norm's buddy???

15. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

It's never been 100% proven who it was. But, a book about illegal recruiting came out about 20 years ago and included a chapter on "Lobogate" (the epic cheating scandal of '79). An unnamed newspaper guy was quoted as telling then-UNM coach Gary Colson that he couldn't win at UNM without cheating, and "...if you do, I'll be the first to expose you."

But, I know for a fact that the same guy cited from the UNM Rivals.com site was the one who wrote a puff piece on Ellenberger's coaching days when UNM observed its 100th anniversary of its men's program. The wife of the former UNM sports information guy was so appalled that the fishwrap glorified Ellenberger, she called him out on it herself.

16. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Wake Forest AD Ron Wellman reaffirmed his support for Jeff Bzdelik today. Talk about a meltdown on the Wake boards. He has very little support left within the fanbase, but has the support of Wellman, the school President, and the heaviest hitters on the BoT.

The Scout boards, which basically died off when they became an arm of the AD's office and tried to silence all the #BuzzOut talk, are not happy. The folks at ogboards.com, which were created from all the Scout fallout, are absolutely apoplectic. (note to anybody who may want to go over there-- ogboards is not censored in any way, so browse at your own risk).

Fanbase frustration with Buzz hit new highs at the end of this year when they took out an ad in the school newspaper demanding his firing. For a small school like Wake, this is a big deal and goes well beyond simply rocking the boat. There were then 4 ads placed on the 4 consecutive days of the ACC Tournament in the Greensboro newspaper that demanded Buzz be canned. Since then, the AD has tried to marginalize the group of BuzzOuters as some kind of lunatic fringe when they only speak for at least 90% of the fanbase. There have been specious claims about threats of violence against Bzdelik (a threat of violence at Wake basically consists of somebody threatening to put a For Sale sign in a yard and not following through with it). Threats about lawyers looking into options for retaliation. The problem is that none of that has any basis in fact, and threatening a largely disgruntled fanbase that consists largely of professionals and lawyers themselves really is just going to motivate them more. The next step the fanbase is gearing up for is the acquisition of billboards around town demanding that both Wellman and Buzz be fired.

From AD of the year just 5 years ago to this. Amazing.

This guy at ESPN pretty much hit the nail on the head http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/81907/wake-forest-sticks-with-bzdelik

17. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

some notable quotes from the Wake boards...

18. badger

I never issued a season-end grade, so I am going to do one (perhaps) final edition of shaggybevo.com:

[​IMG]
    Rick: Sheldon, Texas basketball is only big enough for one of us...

Final (maybe) Report Card:
    + Melting down for losses
    + Melting down before losing games even start
    + Multiple coach-hating threads, including "new head coach wishlist" (8 pages)
    + Melting down over player transfers

- There are no minuses

Final (maybe) grade: A+ :mack:

19. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

Badger, put that baby to bed and go over to the KU boards! :encouragement:

20. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

:applouse:

I'm sure it will be good!